Why Are Only Wealthy Industrialists Visitors To The Space Station???

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by monadnock, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monadnock Registered Senior Member

Thank you for your concern for my health.

More SPACE for the wealthy....

Fortunately for Space Adventures, there are lots of people who are rich but not necessarily famous. The company has said it has plenty of prospects for future orbital flights, and Tearne said the offering of a flight around the moon and back for $100 million per seat was attracting interest as well. In fact, Space Adventures is hoping to announce its first round-the-moon client "by the end of this year," she told me.

MSNBC

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Genji Registered Senior Member

Space is reserved for the military industrial barons, and their friends. Someday they will need us peasants to build for them, cook for them and clean for them.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Zephyr Humans are ONE Registered Senior Member

Yeah, just wait a few decades and they'll need tech support people on Mars to tell them how to use Windows 2050

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

(Can't do it remotely without instantaneous communication - even at light speed there's a long ping time . . .)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. phlogistician Banned Banned

Er, yes, I can, which is exactly why I wrote;

Having trouble with your comprehension? Having trouble understanding that NASA have absolutely zero responsibility putting artists in space to redress some imbalance that only YOU perceive?

Why are you still digging yourself into a hole? An intelligent person would have realised they lost this debate a while ago and stop embarrassing themselves, but still you flap your jaw.

There are artists who can afford to go, Paul McCartney, JK Rowling to name a couple from the top of my head, but they haven't been. Seems 'artists' just don't want to go. So stop bleating for them.

8. phlogistician Banned Banned

There will be robots for that.

9. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Excellent points.

Just as I told him a few days ago, he lost this debate the moment he posted it.

I think I'll modify an old expression just a bit: "A fool and his money are soon parted; a fool and his foolishness are inseparable."

10. monadnock Registered Senior Member

LOST DEBATE? ARE YOU INSANE OR JUST ARROGANT?
    NEWS ITEM, SPACE.COM, AN ESSAY

"Here, I suggest that, rather than rely on some combination of bureaucracy, PR strategizing, and selection based on ability to cover certain (or uncertain) costs, we make the process democratic in the most exemplary ways. If non-astronauts are to fly in space using the vehicles of democracies' space programs, they should be selected as citizens, by citizens, in a manner that reflects a desire to modernize and improve democracy itself.

Premature commercialization may take us down quite a different road."

NEWS ITEM

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Buzz Aldrin, the second man to walk on the moon, announced plans Tuesday for a lottery which would send its winner into space in a bid to spread the dream of extraterrestrial travel beyond the super-wealthy.

Your lack of perception is demonstrable. I'm not a man.

11. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Actually that explains a lot.

Any way, it seems amazing that you can not grasp that NASA is a scientific agency, it does not do space tourism and certainly has no mandate to send scientifically incompetent people into space.

Besides the USA is not a democracy.

12. monadnock Registered Senior Member

I recognize that NASA is a scientific agency of a public corporation entitled the USA.

editorial from SPACE.COM

Finally, consider what a truly democratic space citizen selection process would do for America's image abroad. The American system is still widely admired in most countries, even among critics of its foreign policy. Amazingly, it even has admirers among many victims of those foreign policies, especially among dissident intellectuals imprisoned for years by repressive governments previously supported by the US., in Indonesia, Kenya, South Korea, the Phillipines. Citizens in space, selected by citizens, would be a program that tells the world: "The system you admired was alive because of Americans who understand it, and we're still here. We change. We get better. We honor citizenship and choice and opportunity and, yes, careful thought as well. And we combine those ingredients whenever possible, to make new, better democratic institutions." Who among us, looking at the world today, would say that America doesn't need that now, more than ever?

13. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

It matters not if you are male, female or half-and-half. I really don't care nor does anyone else. What does matter is that your idea is absurd and was at the very beginning.

I'm not paying my taxes - part of which goes to support NASA - for them to become some sort of benevolent tourist agency to send members of the general population on expensive space flights.

If someone has the money and pays Russia (or whoever) to take them up, I've no problem with that. But I sure don't want my tax dollars spent on your worthless idea!!!!!

14. D H Some other guy Valued Senior Member

A link to this essay would be handy. Space.com is enthusiastically pro-space tourism.

15. phlogistician Banned Banned

If. Did you catch that, If. "If non-astronauts are to fly in space,..." Well, they aren't, so the condition is not met, and the rest can be ignored. Christa McCauliffe was fast tracked from a regular job, but trained for a year before her mission, so was definitely an astronaut.

How are NASA to launch people anyway? The Shuttle is not safe enough for civilians, and NASA do not have spare capacity, the Shuttle having been grounded for so long since the Columbia disaster. NASA cannot meet it's commitment to the ISS, let alone waste time, money, and capacity ferrying tourists about. So what to use to launch these lucky lottery winners then? Waste taxpayers money and build another Shuttle? Perhaps weld some seats from a bus into the cargo bay, and install a mini-bar and Jacuzzi? Replace the bay doors with plexiglass for a better view? As realistic as any idea you have posited so far!

Ah, so Read-Only was supposed to use a non-gender specific pronoun until you announced you were dickless, was he? He perhaps misread the subtle intonations and picked up 'witless' instead.

16. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Indeed!

What information (and I'm using that term far to generously) was present certainly indicated 'witless.' So, beyond that everything else was totally pointless.

General statement: I've always strongly maintained that intelligence was and is not gender-dependent. However, what's presented in this thread does make it clear as to why some seem to believe it is.

17. monadnock Registered Senior Member

I wouldn't respond to obnoxious SCUM who would use terminology like this in a debate.

18. phlogistician Banned Banned

You have nothing of value to say anyway. You lost the debate already, and this last post of yours is just you throwing your toys of of your pram.

Cheerio, it's been fun deconstructing your bullshit.

19. Vega Banned Banned

It's pretty clear that these rich folks just wanna be in the history books and not really interested in using their vast wealth to invest in space exploration.

20. Read-Only Valued Senior Member

Possibly. But I don't believe it's that at all - I think they just want to enjoy the ride of the century, the most thrilling trip of a lifetime!! After all, wouldn't you want too if you could afford it? I believe most people would.

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Only rich people can go up, because if they break a gizmo, they need to have additional funds to pay for the broken merchandise....

End of story...

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Hey, loser, read a thread before you make a comment eh?

One of the 'Space Tourists' was Anousheh Ansari, her family sponsored the X-Prize.

Greg Olsen runs a business who's major customer is NASA.

Dennis Tito was employed by the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory at point in his career. Also on his return, he testified at the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation, Subcommittee on Science, Technology, and Space and the House Committee on Science, Subcommittee on Space & Aeronautics Joint Hearing on “Commercial Human Spaceflight”.

So, judge all you like, but it just sounds like you are uninformed and bitter.

23. monadnock Registered Senior Member

You are an obnoxious and pedantic little asshole who has deconstructed the issue only in your own little mind, in which you are obviously a legend. Your reference to me as "dickless" is an insult to every woman who posts at this site.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.