Why are Bats dying by the millions

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Buddha12, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Since the winter of 2006, White-nose Syndrome has killed more than 5.7 million bats in Eastern North America. White-nose Syndrome (WNS) is a disease caused by a non-native, cold-loving fungus now found in the caves of the affected regions. It was first discovered in New York caves during the winter of 2006-2007, initially killing half of the wintering bat population. The name of the disease refers to the white fungal growth found on the noses of infected bats.

The fungus is currently killing hibernating bat species in 16 states and 4 Canadian provinces. It continues to spread across the continent. Little brown bats, once a common bat in the area, are sustaining the largest number of deaths. Caves infected with WNS are displaying a 90-100% bat mortality- wiping out most of the cave bat populations. A Department of Environmental Conservation survey shows a 93% decline of little brown bats in 23 caves at the epicenter of WNS. Currently five other hibernating bat species are affected by the fungus: big brown bat, northern long-eared bat, tri-colored bat, eastern small-footed bat and the endangered Indiana bat. The disease is spreading rapidly and has the potential to infect at least half the of the bat species found in North America.

What is this fungus and how is it killing the bats? That’s what many bat scientists are asking themselves. We still don’t have all of the answers or a cure. The white fungus found on the bats is scientifically called Geomyces destructans. Research has shown that WNS infected bats are awaking from hibernation as often as every 3-4 days as opposed to the normal every 10-20 days. The fungus damages the connective tissues, muscles and skin of the bats while also disrupting their physiological functions. The bats wake up dehydrated and hungry during the cold winters when there are no insects to eat. Unfortunately, about 90% of the bats affected perish due to starvation.

http://www.batconservation.org/drupal/white-nose

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2013
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. LaurieAG Registered Senior Member

It evolved with the european bats who coexist with the fungus without being killed.

Is this coexistence genetic or is it something environmental like runny noses that don't allow the fungus to build up i.e. cold wet not cold dry?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Walter L. Wagner Cosmic Truth Seeker Valued Senior Member

So if these species don't go extinct because of this, they should bounce back with individuals that are resistant to the disease.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

But what if they don't? Import the European ones?

8. KitemanSA Registered Senior Member

Stop the wind mills which are killing the rest of them?

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

is this survival of the fittest at work? The Tasmanian Devils are being wiped out by a cancer. And bats are being wiped out by a fungus. Neither man-made, so is it evolution at work?

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

you don't think man has had an effect on the devils? they were wiped out from mainland Australia and pushed to these tiny colonies and this which should be an isolated issue in an isolated colony which may well have died off with no effect on the rest of the species. There is the same potential in so many other species, cheaters for example

11. kwhilborn Banned Banned

So we cannot vaccinate against this fungus?

@ Orleander,
    We do not know what fault mankind has in the distribution of this fungus, nor do we know if mankind has provided carcinogens for other species.

It is hard to imagine how many species we do kill off with our various technologies, population, and pollution.

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

when cheaters die of sexually transmitted diseases, I don't feel too bad for them. But I don't think this cancer is sexually transmitted. Nor have I ever seen a study saying man had anything to do with the cancer.

13. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

No, we don't know so I'm not going to assume we played any role in it til I see proof.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

reason cheaters and devils are suseptable to these diseases is lack of genetic diversity caused by us. We have pushed them to the brink and yea the final straw might have nothing to do with us but the root causes does. Cheaters are all inbreed, why do you think that is? Devils are so genetically close that a CANCER from one has become a transmitible disease. Yes this is our fault

15. rodereve Registered Member

it's probably safer to assume we had a role in it, considering.

16. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what you are talking about now. Cheaters are not inbred, they are just jerks. Its not genetic to be a cheater. And what does that have to do with bat to bat contact anyways?

17. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

its spread by bat to bat contact. 1 bat with it in a cage next to a bat with out it, doesn't spread it. Its not airborne. So spelunkers wouldn't spread it unless they picked up 1 bat and then went to another cave without changing clothes r washing and picked up other bats.

18. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

how can an animal be a jerk?

What the fuck are you talking about?????

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh ha ha, yes everyone knows I can't spell and I spelled it the way it sounds. Make you feel good because to be honest just makes you look like an idiot

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what the F*#k am I talking about and I look like an idiot?

do you really think anyone wants to listen to you or try to learn anything from you when you are so very rude?