Why 432 in Ancient World?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by IceAgeCivilizations, Dec 8, 2006.

1. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. draqon Banned Banned

coincidence
    and human wish for aliens to exist...for apocalypse to happen no matter what...for psychic abilities of humans to come true...for life thats surreal

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

What are the odds that those numbers are coincidence, a trillion to one? I bet it's at least that, so those odds are what you are bucking to believe it's all coincidence, I hope you're not a gambler, then again, I hope you are!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

Yes to the following.
    With the clarity of hindsight, one can discover all sorts of alleged facts buried in ancient writings & building dimensions.

Consider the bible code nonsense. When you know the history of the last 2000 years, you can shuffle ancient data until you get what looks like a prophecy.

If some multiple of 432 does not work, try multiples of 343 (7*7*7) or 1728 (2*12*12), or some other interesting number until you find a coincidence. Then accept a reasonable error like 1-2% to make the data fit.

Note that Eratosthnes published his obviously correct method, showing that he knew what he was doing.

8. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

But all those numbers in all those ancient legends and architectures.

9. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

The odds are much less than a trillion to one...surely?

10. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

I think there is 1.0 (100%) probability that they are all coincidence.

11. draqon Banned Banned

its a bit more than that...ITS PEOPLE PSYCHED ON gODS AND NUMBERS...that this insanity goes on through century...belief in astrology is proof

12. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Draqon, I put no stock in numerology, this is simple geometry (Earth measure), by precession.

13. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Hamlet's Mill

14. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Yes, the book "Hamlet's Mill" was written back in the 60's by Hertha von Dechend, professor at the University of Frankfurt, and Giorgio Diaz de Santillana, professor at M.I.T.

They noted the commonality of the precession numbers in the legends and architectures of various ancient cultures, then, in the early 90's, Graham Hancock popularized the idea that the Great Pyramid's dimensions were somehow derived from the ability to measure the dimensions of the Earth by precession time, related to the precession numbers from various cultures cited by Von Dechend and Santillana.

So then I came along and figured out how they actually did it, and that was the origin of the geometry and number-denominations of our modern mapping system, with the arc second (2 Great Pyramid base perimeter lengths), and with the arc minute (120 Great Pyramid base perimeter lengths).

15. jumpercable 6EQUJ5 'WOW' Registered Senior Member

4,3,2,1.........Time's up. You lose.

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Was that an attempt to rebut?

17. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

18. Dinosaur Rational Skeptic Valued Senior Member

IceAce: The following is nonsense.
    There is no evidence even remotely suggesting that the pyramid builders had enough knowledge to calculate Earth dimensions from precession data.

There is no evidence that they knew the Earth was a rotating sphere orbiting the sun. There is no reason to suppose that they knew and failed to leave records of their knowledge.

Are there any Egyptologists here with knowledge of any records indicating what the pyramid builders thought about the Earth & the solar system?

19. The Devil Inside Banned Banned

the curvature of the earth can be used to calculate the totality of earth's size.
    its not that difficult.

20. Nickelodeon Banned Banned

But not with precessional data.

21. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

I think it is something of a stretch to say there is no evidence. Or rather there is evidence to suggest they knew something of the dimensions of the Earth with a fair measure of accuracy and that they knew about precession. This evidence was originally identifed by, IIRC, Piazzi Smith, then Astronomer Royal (?), or some other functionary at the Edinburgh Observatory. The dimensions coded into the Great Pyramid could be coincidence, but their apparent match to Earth mensuration is highly suggestive and does, therefore, constitute evidence - which as always is not at all the same thing as proof.

22. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

Well done Ophi, now you're coming along.

23. zenbabelfish autonomous hyperreal sophist Registered Senior Member

HI Ophiolite, I found this on Wikipedia:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Piazzi_Smyth
    "Smyth claimed that the measurements he obtained from the Great Pyramid of Giza indicated a unit of length, the pyramid inch, equivalent to 1.001 British inches, that could have been the standard of measurement by the pyramid's architects. From this he extrapolated a number of other measurements, including the pyramid pint, the sacred cubit, and the pyramid scale of temperature.

Smyth claimed, and presumably believed, that the pyramid inch was a God-given measure handed down through the centuries from the time of Israel, and that the architects of the pyramid could only have been directed by the hand of God. To support this Smyth said that, in measuring the pyramid, he found the number of inches in the perimeter of the base equalled one thousand times the number of days in a year, and found a numeric relationship between the height of the pyramid in inches to the distance from Earth to the Sun, measured in statute miles. "

This obviously doesn't cover what you have described in your post. Please could you point me to the source of your info so I can get a clear understanding of Smyth's methodology? Thanks.