Whoever Wins, We Lose...

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by goofyfish, Mar 13, 2004.

1. goofyfish Analog By Birth, Digital By Design Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

Freddy Vs. Jason
    Alien Vs. Preditor...

Just be glad that robocop is way too eightys for us to ever see him go head to head with the terminator.

So how are they going to reconsile the difference in timeframes? The Preditor stalked the earth in the eightys (maybe early ninties, I was very young at the time), the aliens werent found till the crazy far future. Are we just going to have to suspend our dissbelief in the idea that the preditors wouldnt really have changed much in all that time?

Is this going to be a preditor movie with an alien, or an alien movie with a preditor I guess is what I'm asking. My poor 56k connection dosnt want to go looking through graphicly intensive movie promotion sites.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

Humans didn't encounter the Alien until some time in the future.

Since the Predator has ships capable of interstellar travel, it could encounter it now.

If we can put aside relativity, and also accept sounds in space, we could swallow that.

I can't watch the trailer either.

With good writing, it could be a good movie. It could also just be another loud piece of sci-fi crap.

Lets hope for the best.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

You forget that the Alien species is a dying one. They establish this in the first one.

8. Repo Man Valued Senior Member

I don't understand what you're saying, could you elaborate?

9. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Ooo, it's gonna be out two months earlier than predicited! Excellent!

Downside is, directed by same person who did Resident Evil. This better be good and heads better roll!!

10. DCLXVI Bloody Bastard Registered Senior Member

The premise for this movie sucks.

Aliens on earth as a test for young predators, Lost city in the Antarctic, Predator hunting ground, Predators built the piramids, blah dee fucking blah. They are going to ruin both the alien universe and predator universe with this movie.

11. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

from what I hear, they are making this movie assuming that NONE of the alien or predator movies ever happened. This may have changed since I heard it. Maybe not.

-AntonK

12. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

If you've seen Predator 2, you will note that there is an "Alien" skull mounted on the wall as a trophy. Obviously, they have already met before the events of this movies take place.

13. Ozymandias Unregistered User Registered Senior Member

I've heard of this series before (And recognized the "Alien" figures), but I didn't know much about it. From watching the behind the scenes footage, it just seems like

a) Five predators come down once every 3,000 years to kill an alien, as a right of passage.

b) If they fail, they self - destruct, simultaneously killing a civilization. (but somehow not the pyramids?)

c) And now it's that time, that 3,000 years mark, and they're going to come and fight aliens.

d) But I don't get how the Aliens will be on earth. Or how there will be more than five Predators ...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Doesn't seem like the most climatic battle to me.

14. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I heard it wasn't on Earth but on some research facility on another planet. It happens to be a Predator hunting ground for, as what was said before, initiation in the Predator race. They come and kill Aliens. This time however, humans are there and Uh-oh, spaghettios! That was the last I heard and this must've been six months ago.
    Also, if you have read any of the books, comics or played any of the games then you'd know that Aliens and Predators have met (and boy have they met, no formalities with these guys).

15. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

The link between aliens and predators is firmly established in the computer games.

There they walk beside each other quite casually, intermingling with humans.

16. Neurocomp2003 Registered Senior Member

and the games are awesome...
    ...so the person who said something about pred2 does that mean avp was already in the making?

...Lets just hope they don't go bringing in the dude in the 4th movie(the half alien/human breed)
    but i'd like to see the alien/predator breed like in the games

and this movie can't be worse then matrix 2 or 3 can it?

17. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

The half human half alien cannot be possible if this was set even before Alien. And seeing the Predalien would be cool, but again impossible. It's just Aliens, Humans and Predators duking it out.

Andthe link between aliens and predators were established way before the games in the books and graphic novels. Which had better stories than the games, but the games rocked.

In order for the movie to be a success, it has to make everything mysterious. Sure we've seen it all before, but nothing scared me more than in the opening scenes in the AvP2 game where you walk into the complex and then seeing the telltail 3 dot laser targeter of the Predator in th darkness and nothing more.

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I fondly remember walking through a corridor not having met an alien yet, but aware that I will soon, and suddenly there is this shape coming from the ceiling. I then emptied an entire clip in it.

It were just some pipes.

19. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

On the one hand; AWESOME!
    I was just thinking there should be another predator movie, predator is such a rad idea.
    But yes, it will be a real shame if they screw it up, I didn't see resident evil, but any director that would take up the project of bringing resident evil to film gets no respect from me, also I haven't heard of the resident evil movie since before it came out, another red flag.

Predator is such a cool concept. Its believable that such an animal would evolve on a planet, to worship the act of hunting like a religion. There are indications that point to the possibility that killer whales think in a similar way.
    And he's just cool, although he did kind of punch like a pansy in pred1, but I think that actors dead anyway so cool.
    Still bad director... thats worrying. Directors make movies what they are, a bad director is not very encouraging.

20. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

lmao!! I remember doing the exact same thing! Boy did I look the fool. I remember when I was in this room and all of a sudden a grate in the floor started to get dented in from underneath, I emptied my rounds into that pretty sharpish. And I remember firing like a maniac whenever the doors opened because the motion detector when crazy!

It's these sort of things that the movie needs to incorperate to be good. It needs to play with our emotions. I fondly remember a moment in a movie called Deep Rising (may have seen it, about a cruise ship taken over by giant sea worms and the scary things is that these things actually exist!) and the heroes were walking through a corridor and all of a sudden something fell from the ceiling. It was long and thin and we hadn't seen the monster yet so we all assumed it was the monster and I jumped out of my skin. It turned out to be so wiring that came lose. It was excellent! They need to keep them as mysterious and as dark as possible

21. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

I prefer the arcade game of alien vs predator, the side scrolling one where you and your friend are a predator each(or lame people, but who would be a human when you could be a predator?) and you would go from level to level fighting aliens and fighting big boss aliens at the end of each level. It was like the funnest game ever.
    1st person shoot em up's usually piss me off, alien vs predator was ok, still prefer the 3rd person arcade one.

22. SpyMoose Secret double agent deer Registered Senior Member

I thought aliens (alien2) did that? Its probably not a popular opinion around here, but I blame aliens for the subsequent sucking noises made by 3 and resurrection. Oh well, Ridley Scott is a tough act to follow.

Either way, they need a man walking around with an unmounted handheld minigun in AvP. Sure it would be impossible to carry one of those things, and the batteries, and have enough ammo to fire for more than about two or three seconds, let alone mow down a forest with it, but it was just cool.

23. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I must formally object to the Aliens being the ruin of the Alien universe. I found that it added another perspective to the whole scene of things. It helped mould the universe, it showed us more about the Xenomorphs than in any other of the movies. Would you have known about the Queen from just watching Alien? It added their combat prowess to the scene. Showed us how much they can kick ass. Alien3 was the one that killed it for me. And to have Ressurection, bad move. Weren't they planning a fifth?