whoa..... dizzy

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by yayacatfight, Jun 27, 2003.

1. yayacatfight Registered Senior Member

i have a question. why do people that live near the north pole when they travel to the equator not get really dizzy?

you see, a person that lives near the pole travels a much smaller distance around the earth's axis than does someone that lives near the equator. to take it to an extreme, if you are standing on the north pole you don't revolve at all, whereas at the equator you are revolving at like 30,000km/24hrs.

why do we not feel this effect?

thanks

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

it takes you several hours to go there.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. yayacatfight Registered Senior Member

great thanks! now i can blame my golf slice on the coriolis force.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2003
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. curioucity Unbelievable and odd Registered Senior Member

what reduces our sensitivity then? Our sheer size (compared to the cannonball) should make us prone to the effect right? Or is it because we are grounded?

8. Q25 Registered Senior Member

b/c we don't feel earth rotational movement at all,no matter where you live.
    its like being in elevator,or in a jet plane,when it first starts moving you can feel it,but once its underway you dont know how fast you are going.
    so you could be flying at supersonic speed but still not feel how fast it is

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

yayacatfight....... Just how do you know this? Where have you heard about this, can you give us a link? Eskimos don't usually travel much away from their homes and others that live near the pole don't travel much either , so how do you know that what your asking about is true? Just wondering, not trying to argue.

10. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Isn't it because we humans (animals?) only perceive acceleration and not absolute velocity? The angular acceleration near the pole is still the same as it is at the equator. i.e. Its still turning through a circle at the same rate!

11. 15ofthe19 35 year old virgin Registered Senior Member

If a feller gets up in the morning, walks ten miles south, shoots a bear, walks ten miles west, has lunch, and walks ten miles north to get back home, reckon why I know the color of said bear?

12. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

...White?!