who knows anything about the double helix?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Royolistic, May 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

just internal organ systems of humans
    we did digestive, respiratory, and circulatory systems

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    we never studied that.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

I love internal systems, it's so amazing how life works, with all the hormones and enzymes and stuff
    it's so interesting to learn how your food goes down and how the different muscles and valves respond and how the body sends hormones to release the different enzymes.
    Are you taking grade 11 biology?
    Right here, science course only specialize into different branches like biology, chemistry and physics in grade 11 and 12. school only offers general science course in gr 9 and 10, and they are so easy, no details or anything until the last two years of high school

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

I was in 9th grade this year, most of the people in the class were in 10th. Were I am I have to take four science classes to graduate, physical science(physics, chemistry, or physical science), earth science(or enviromnental), biology, and one other. We have something called block schedualing which means we have 8 classes a year instead of 7, and means you don't learn as much in the class since it is shorter. Then, you can also take Advanced Placement classes which give you colledge credit. In the fall I get to take environmental science and chemisty. That will be cool!

8. MiTo filosofos Registered Senior Member

Soldier Of Fortune 2 - Double Helix, thats all I know

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

wow you sure learn a lot of stuff in grade 9 (or 10) biology, I remember when I was in grade 9, all we studied for the biology part of the course were cells and reproduction (sexual and asexual), and in grade 10, we mainly learned biodiversity and ecology, and some physics, chemistry and meterology, we never got into any detailed stuff in gr 9 and 10

10. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

It's the only Bio class I have to take, it's good I learned stuff!

11. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

only bio class? well I am taking biology in grade 12, I heard it's mainly going to be about biochemistry - thus much harder

12. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

North Carolina education isn't that great. I got to read alot on my own to keep up with the rest of the world.

13. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

yep reading is very important, books are very important sources of knowledge enrichment
    well Ontario education system is supposed to be the hardest in all of Canada, but I still need to read extra stuff to be able to get good performanaces in school

14. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Your lucky. I would give anything to go to a challenging school were you actually have to think and you lean alot of stuff!

15. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

yeah thanks, not a lot of students seem to like it though, because it's pretty fast-paced and they can't keep up

for some reason, I always thought that U.S. education is more difficult than Canadian education, and the competition is more intense. I mean, you have to take the S.A.T.'s in the US to get into universities, but there is no such thing here in Canada. and there are many more prestigious universities in the U.S. too like Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton...

16. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

The S.A.T.'s don't determine what college you can get in, or so I hear..

17. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Well, I live in the south (I AM NOT A SOUTHERNER!), and there are a LOT of slow people. They want every one to be equal, so they spend a lot of time helping the kids who arn't very smart, and blow of the geniuses like me. (alright, I'm exagerating about the geniuses but...) I suppose competition wise it is intense. I don't know. I haven't gotten that far yet.

18. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

oh I see, there are lots of slow people here too, and the smart or more capable people are always encouraged to seek enrichment, and some of them in grade 12 have decided to write the SAT's and go to universities in the US, and I know one person who scored exceptionally well on it, and I think he got an early acceptance to Princeton

19. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

Here they pretend like we don't exist. It's amazing how much attention you get if you're labeled Academically Gifted, and all of a sudden you start failing all of your classes!

20. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

Wait does anyone know what Royolistic actually wanted to know about DNA???

Last edited: Jun 19, 2004
  21. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

haha good question, where the heck is he?

22. Enigma'07 Who turned out the lights?!?! Registered Senior Member

He didn't specify what we wanted to know. Not our problem. But we could start posting random facts about it again.

23. eddymrsci Beware of the dark side Registered Senior Member

good idea

I'll start with the basics.

DNA - deoxyribonucleic acid - discovered by Francis Crick and James Watson - doubled stranded structure, also known as "double helix", made of sugar, phosphate, and nitrogenous groups. a nitrogenous group forms the "rung" of the double stranded structure, and sugar and phosphate form the backbone of the double helix

RNA - ribonucleic acid - singled stranded - produces proteins

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.