who is your favorite zen teacher?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by robtex, Oct 5, 2004.

1. Watcher Just another old creaker Registered Senior Member

Agree with BeHereNow.

Check out DT Suzuki
    Daisetz Teitaro Suzuki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.T._Suzuki

Especially "An Introduction to Zen Buddhism"

Also Ram Dass, especially for meditation techniques (more so than Zen).

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. robtex Registered Senior Member

I like Suzuki too.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exsto_human Transitional Registered Senior Member

I'm still hesitant about reading or talking too much about Zen.

Of course as you say BeHereNow, perhaps in order to find Zen we must find out that it exists, i.e. talk or read about it. But inevitably, knowing about Zen is not Zen. Your idea of Zen separates you from the state of Zen.

What the hell do I know about it?

MU!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Technoterri Registered Member

Jiddhu Krishnamurti - who made me see that I was a ordinary human being just like himself and that I have been conditioned since birth into the personallity that I wear like a second skin. The words that made me start to see the illusion, that the I creates, that I had created. To eventually see that I was continuing that illusion by seeking the answer outside of myself.

" if you start to breath in a certain way and undertake to sit in a certain posture. You also start to be caught up in a game that has been played in the far east for thousands of years". As I now see the same game that Christianity is playing in the west.

I resigned my twenty year involvement with Buddhism and ceased all of my Soto Zen rituals, practices and affectations and left the game. Eventually I appreciated that K. would have to go as well.

In 1996 I went to visit my 21 year old son who took me with his friends to a club. I was surprised to see my son start techno/trance dancing and surprised myself by joining in when he invited me to and we danced non-stop for two hours. That night was to totally change my life and krishnamurti was gone.

Like Khrishnamurti my only concern now is to help set humankind absolutely and unconditionally free.

8. BeHereNow Registered Senior Member

I understand your concern exsto_human. It is well taken.
    Certainly there are varying points of view on this subject.
    The reading below expresses my view, and certainly carries more authority than my opinion.

Is Zen completely unintelligible?
    [A reading from The Practice of Zen, by Chang Chen-Chi, c. 1959 (Rider & Company, London)]
    (pgs 127-128)

The fate of Zen as vital knowledge and spiritual truth depends upon how this question is answered, for if - as some authors have repeatedly emphasized – Zen is incomprehensible and irrational, how can any human being understand it? If all conceptual knowledge and intellection have to be abandoned, the enlightened Zen Masters of the past must have been complete fools.

But history shows otherwise. These Masters were wiser than the average, no only in their knowledge of Zen, but also in the many other subjects as well. Their brilliant achievements in art, literature, and philosophy were indisputably of the first order, and stand out prominently in all fields of Chinese Culture. Then it is possible that the mistake in presenting Zen made by some authors lies in their failure to distinguish between ‘to understand’ and ‘to realize’. To understand a thing does not mean to realize it. To understand Zen through an intellectual approach should not be confused with the direct realization of Zen Truth. Thus what they ought to have said is not that ‘to understand Zen’, but, instead, that ‘to realize Zen, one must abandon all one has acquired by way of conceptual knowledge’ (in certain stages). To understand the wonderfully cold, sweet, and palatable taste of ice cream is not to have actually experienced that taste. To understand it as cold, sweet and palatable, but not bitter, hot, or pungent is comparable to understanding Zen as being direct rather than indirect, immediate rather than abstract, and transcendent rather than dualistic.

To understand Zen through an intellectual approach is not ‘reprehensible’, but is the only way possible for the beginner, for, who can get into Zen without having first some understanding or ‘conceptual knowledge’ about it? There is no exception to this for anyone. (emphasis added)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BHN: In order to abandon all one has acquired by way of conceptual knowledge, one must first have that conceptual knowledge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    A special transmission outside the scriptures;
    Depending not on words and letters;
    Pointing directly to the human mind;
    Seeing into one's nature, one becomes a Buddha.

9. dan74 Registered Senior Member

Technoterri, it was very interesteing to see your reply. I have read some of J.K.'s writings and take his teaching that truth is a pathless land very much to heart. Like you (were) I am also involved in Zen Buddhism, but unlike you I cannot see the contradiction.

Surely, the real answer must always come from within. And though Zen is an old tradition and may come with a baggage, Buddhism has always had plenty of great characters who were not afraid of findng their own way in the pathless land.

Why do you think it has to be a game and an affectation?

10. dan74 Registered Senior Member

Oh, and I'm not sure about the favourite teacher, but at the moment I like Huang Po (an old chinese Zen (or Ch'an) monk - one can find a translation by Blofield), my 1-year-old son and a locan Zen nun called Chi Kwang (not available in print form, yet).

11. Utonian Registered Member

Osho. I never followed his teachings while he was alive. In fact, it wasn't until years later that I began to read his writings. I believe he possessed one of the most profound spiritual minds in centuries.

Odd thing is, I came to this conclusion without ever having heard him speak. And, when I finally did hear one of his speeches on tape, I'm sure that, had I first heard him speak before ever picking up one of his books, I never would have done so. His speaking style is a complete turn-off to me, which goes to show how outer appearances and style can often keep us from enjoying a precious gem that resides deeper within.

So, why is he my favorite Zen teacher? He was able to do what has always been my aim: perceive the truth within the boundaries of any and all religions. It has always been my belief that a truly awakened individual will not be bound to one framework for explaining Truth. Osho could explain the path from a Christian, Buddhist, Hindu, Taoist, and any number of other, perspectives.

Truth and the nature of reality is not bound within Zen or Buddhism, or any single path. Osho is the only person I have ever "known" who could penetrate the heart of any religion to explain its essence and how it leads to the One. An exceedingly rare quality!

Ron

12. dan74 Registered Senior Member

That's a really eloquent post, Utonian! I've heard a fair bit of negative publicity associated with Osho, but you words broke through that.

13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Osho, (formerly the cult leader Baghwan Shree Rajneesh) is a good writer, but not well respected among the Buddhist establishment. I have several of his books, and admire him greatly. His books on Jesus are interesting and thought provoking. Unfortunately, his teaching is tainted by the scandals surrounding his commune in Oregon. Perhaps every real teacher is scandalous in some way, or he was the victim of a CIA plot to discredit him, I don't know. I'd say read him and judge for yourself. I especially like "Autobiography of a Spiritually Incorrect Mystic".

14. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

i'll vote for suzuki also, except the 'little' one; shunryu. he wrote: 'you should be like a frog always.'

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

does a frog know it's a frog?

16. dan74 Registered Senior Member

It has no idea of a frog, therefore it is fully frog. But if you want to be sure, go and ask one.

17. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

according to shunryu, no, a frog has no idea of itself. but it sits like us. thereby a frog being the epitome of buddha-nature realized, we should erect a few statues & teach our kids to worship them. even the ancient hebrews called up the frogs to attack egypt with, knowing their buddha-nature would be against slavery.

18. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I did sculpt a lovely meditating Buddha-frog. I used to cast them in cement. I left one in the mailbox of a Buddhist temple once.

19. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

yeah, we got that. our master gave it a strange look & turned it into rice. very spicy.

20. Buffalosho Registered Member

Heyup folks.

So I'm a newbie here. have just been reading a little of the thread and found it fun.

I've been enjoying Osho for a long time, and Shunryu Suzuki and Krishnamurti and the gang too.

I was thinking I should mention that I know of a living zen master. I am his disciple (for want of a better word...), and he is very compassionate and funny, and waaaaaaay out there, haha.

Seriously(!) though, he is a love. He is love. haha. But he is though!

Oh man....
    Anyway, it's his fortieth birthday today.
    He'll be asleep though. he lives in new Zealand.
    Any of you guys from out that way?
    ok, kiss

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A Few Zen Thoughts For Those Who Take Life Too Seriously RE: LJ

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.

A day without sunshine is like night.

42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

99 percent of lawyers give the rest a bad name.

Honk if you love peace and quiet.

Remember, half the people you know are below average.

He who laughs last thinks slowest. (Oops, I get it now!)

Depression is merely anger without enthusiasm.

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory

Plan to be spontaneous tomorrow.

Always try to be modest, and be proud of it!

If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments.

OK, so what's the speed of dark?

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously

overlooked something.

When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.

Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet

engines.

Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?

What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

Why do psychics have to ask you for your name?

I'm not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain.

I'm in shape. Round is a shape.

I'm desperately trying to figure out why Kamikaze pilots wore helmets.

Do you think illiterate people get the full affect of alphabet

soup?

I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.

Ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you, but when you

take him in a car he sticks his head out the window?

Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone
    going

faster than you is a maniac?

One out of every three Americans is suffering from some form of mental

illness. Think of two of your best friends. If they are OK, then it must

be you.

They show you how detergent takes out bloodstains. I think if you've got
    a tee shirt with bloodstains all over it, maybe your laundry isn't your
    biggest problem.

22. foureyes Registered Member

Duh?

23. foureyes Registered Member

Re. attached, as a new member, I enjoyed reading your forum post.

From experience, and some very limited reading, this (what you relate) seems to be that way that "it" works: by disengaging you are able re-engage more effectively. It is very mysterious, like looking at a flower. Clarity, understanding, even "knowing", are beyond words.

And one cannot describe "that which 'it' is" because "it" is beyond words.

Enjoy the trip!