Who is your favorite philosopher?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Tnerb, Mar 27, 2009.

1. jnc1110 Registered Senior Member

My favorite philosopher is Clive Bell, by far. Moreover, I think his aesthetic philosophies are amazing. His view about natural works of art not having significant form really stirs my psyche. Personally, I think the reason Bell said that natural works of art do not have significant form is because the mystery element can be easily exploited through science. It can be broken down and understood on a biological, chemical and physical level, whereas a genuine piece of art can puzzle and entice people for ages and ages to come.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

John Bernard Books:

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

Capt. Rockwell Torrey:
    "All battles are fought by scared men who'd rather be some place else."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Cartoonists.
    • A "benefit concert." Isn't that where a bunch of rich people get together and ask for money?"--Beavis and Butt-Head
    • The weekend: Life's little truck stop between busting your butt and busting your butt some more.--Duckman
    • Would you be willing to go up into space in a rocket built by the lowest bidder?--Garfield
    • What kind of country is this, if I'm only allowed to hate a man if he's white?--King of the Hill
    • My worst fear is that I'm about to come face to face with my worst fear.--Winnie the Pooh
    • Life sure is hard. Sometimes I think it's the hardest thing there is.--Rugrats
    • Since I have never taken drugs, I know that they have nothing to offer.--South Park

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Dilbert: the goal of every engineer is to retire without getting blamed for a major catastrophe.

9. theobserver is a simple guy... Registered Senior Member

Socrates for "all I know is that I know nothing." why because i found it saying the same thing i always told people - "everyone is stupid until the day they realize that."

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Although not a philosopher, i love this quote on its context.

"Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule? "
    - Anton Chigurh before shooting Carson Wells in No Country for Old Men.

and sherlock holmes for "when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  10. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Washington Irving--'a woman's tongue is the only edge-tool that grows sharper with constant use'--(at least according to Rip Van Winkle)

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

My other favourite is Walt Whitman--'All religion, all solid things, arts, governments--all that was or is apparent upon this globe or any globe, falls into niches and corners before the procession of souls along the grand roads of the universe'--Song of the Open Road.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Buddha

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Chaos is inherent in all compounded things. Strive on with diligence.

Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.

A dog is not considered a good dog because he is a good barker. A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker.

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others. He who envies others does not obtain peace of mind.

Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.

Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.

Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little.

Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.

I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act.

I never see what has been done; I only see what remains to be done

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

I enjoy both Epicurus and the Buddha.