Who invented the radio?

Discussion in 'General Science & Technology' started by Syzygys, Mar 4, 2007.

?

Wo really invented the radio?

1. Marconi

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Popov

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Tesla

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

So far I only knew about Marconi and Popov's contribution, then I have found this:

Tesla died of heart failure alone in the New Yorker Hotel, some time between the evening of January 5 and the morning of January 8, 1943, at the age of 86. Despite selling his AC electricity patents, Tesla was essentially destitute and died with significant debts. Later that year the US Supreme Court upheld Tesla's patent number U.S. Patent 645,576 in effect recognizing him as the inventor of radio.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. leopold Valued Senior Member

tesla invented radio but never applied for a patent.

tesla was indeed a electrical genius.
    all modern motor driven equipment today is a direct result of tesla.
    the modern electric grid is also a direct result of tesla.
    he invented the poly phase motors needed in todays manufacturing.
    he invented the rotating magnetic field.
    alot of his inventions are classified as military secrets.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I watched a documantary about Tesla a few months back, where hes qouted as writing that Marconi used 17 of Tesla's patents for his radio.

Tesla was also the originator of the Star Wars concept. He envisioned that if countries could shoot down all enemy aircraft using energy beam weapons - this would effectively put an end to modern warfare.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

In favor of Popov:

"Beginning in the early 1890s he continued the experiments of Heinrich Hertz. In 1894 he built his first radio receiver, the coherer. Further refined as a lightning detector, he presented it to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society on May 7, 1895 — the day has been celebrated in the Russian Federation as "Radio Day". The paper on his findings was published the same year. In March 1896, he effected transmission of radio waves between different campus buildings in St Petersburg. Upon learning about Guglielmo Marconi's system, he effected ship-to-shore communication over a distance of 6 miles in 1898 and 30 miles in 1899."

Now I have to check Tesla's dates....

8. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

1864: James Clerk Maxwell mathematically predicts the existence of radio waves.
    1872: Mahlon Loomis and W. H. Ward (USA) file for U.S. Patents for a "wireless telegraph".
    1885 - 1886: Heinrich Hertz proves the existence of radio waves using a primitive transmitter and receiver.
    As a professor of physics at Karlsruhe Polytechnic, he produces electromagnetic waves in the laboratory and measures their wavelength and velocity. He shows that the nature of their reflection and refraction was the same as those of light, confirming that light waves are electromagnetic radiation obeying the Maxwell equations.
    1887: Hertz publishes his research in the journal Annalen der Physik.
    1890: Edouard Branly invents the coherer.
    1891: Nikola Tesla is granted U.S. Patent No. 454,622 "System of Electric Lighting," first revealing the basic techniques for greatly improving radio transmitter performance.
    1892: Hertz publishes "Untersuchungen Ueber Die Ausbreitung Der Elektrischen Kraft” (“Investigations on the Propagation of Electrical Energy”).
    1893: Tesla demonstrates "wireless telegraphy" at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and the National Electric Light Association, demonstrating the practical application eight years after Hertz experiments.
    1894: The book INVENTIONS, RESEARCHES AND WRITINGS OF NIKOLA TESLA, edited by T.C. Martin is published.
    1894: Hertz dies at age 37.
    1894: Alexander Popov builds his first radio receiver in Russia. This was the first non-laboratory radio service.
    1894: Oliver Lodge transmits radio signals at a meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science at Oxford University on August 14. One year before Marconi but one year after Tesla.
    1894: Jagadish Chandra Bose uses electromagnetic waves to ignite gunpowder and ring a bell at a distance in November in Calcutta.
    1895: Popov presents his radio receiver to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society on May 7. The paper on his findings was published December 15.
    1895: Marconi transmits wireless signals a distance of about one mile.
    1896: Tesla transmits wireless signals over distances of up to 30 miles.
    1897: Tesla is granted U.S. Patents No. 645,576 and 649,621 covering the four-tuned circuit wireless system.
    1897: Marconi is granted a British patent for his work, establishes the world's first radio station on the Isle of Wight, England & forms the London company later to become the Marconi Wireless Telegraph Company
    1897: Bose reports on his microwave radio experiments to the Royal Institute in London & speculates on the existence of electromagnetic radiation from the sun,
    1898: Popov effects ship-to-shore communication over a distance of 6 miles
    1898: Tesla publicly demonstrates his remote-controlled boat containing "rotating coherers" plus circuit elements that allowed secure communication between transmitter and receiver.
    1900: Popov supervises the construction of a radio station on Hogland island providing a two-way communication by wireless telegraphy between Russian navy base and crew of the battleship General-Admiral Apraksin.
    1900: Tesla begins construction of the Wardenclyffe Tower facility for trans-Atlantic wireless telephony.
    1901: Marconi receives the first trans-Atlantic radio signal on 12 December. The message received was three dots, the Morse code for the letter S.
    1902: Tesla gives interference testimony in the matter of his patent application for "Systems of Signaling" and that of Reginald Fessenden for "Improvement in the Transmission and Receipt of Signals," subsequently determined in Tesla's favor.
    1904: Bose receives patent for the use of a semi-conducting crystal as a detector of radio waves
    1904: John Ambrose Fleming develops the "oscillation valve" or "kenotron," later known as the vacuum-tube diode.
    1904: Tesla advertises his services.
    1906: Lee De Forest invents the Audion, now known as the vacuum-tube triode.
    1906: Fessenden transmits the first audio radio broadcast on AM from Brant Rock, Massachusetts. Ships at sea heard a broadcast that included Fessenden playing the song Silent Night on the violin and reading a passage from the Bible.
    1909: Marconi wins the Nobel Prize in physics

9. kevinalm Registered Senior Member

It never ceases to amaze (and annoy as I happen to be a e-tech) that when most people list the important early pioneers of radio, they leave out the single most important and prolific inventor (in the field of radio).

Armstrong.

He was responsible for the first _effective_ triode recievers, the regenerative and super regenerative. De Forrest never really understood how the build a decent triode circuit. (I know, I've looked at diagrams and it's like he was trying random connections.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) Armstrong also invented the superheterodyne circuit which is still in use in most receiving equipment of all types and he invented FM.

Sorry if I sound a little preachy, but this is one of my personal pet peeves.
    Anyway, have a read at this link and make up your own mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edwin_Armstrong

10. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Edwin Howard Armstrong (December 18, 1890 – January 31, 1954) end of story.

By the the he learnt to read, at least 4 people ( the 4th would be Oliver Lodge in London, not to mention Jagadish Chandra in India as a 5th) transmitted radiowaves successfully.

So your pet peeves is a bit LATE to the party....

Now you could bitch about Eduard Branly, who invented the coherer, in 1890. But I am sorry,Armstrong is not even a contender....

But Armstrong did invent the FM radio,patented in 1933...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  11. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks for this long list. Did you construct it (from your investigation of the subject - If so, a couple of "at-a-boys" to you.)?

I have not read the Loomis/Ward patent, but they seem to deserve the honor as inventors. Maxwell did not invent radio or EM waves but was first to realize their existance and nature. Hertz clearly proved Maxwell was correct, but to be the "inventor" IMHO I think one must conceive of an application, not necessarily actually build it. So I would vote for Loomis and Ward, assuming Syzygys' list is accurate and complete.

12. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

I used Wikipedia...

(invention of the radio)

Now it was a process, so that's why it is hard to pinpoint one particular person, because the inventors used each other's inventions and developed the ideas based on them. Although I think Popov did it independently, which is just an evidence that if something can be discovered,will be discovered, it is just question of time...

The first real practical use would go to Popov....They saved lives as early as 1900...

Besides Apraksin's crew, more than 50 lives of Finnish fishermen, which were stranded on a piece of drift ice in the Gulf of Finland, were saved by icebreaker Yermak because of distress telegrams sent by wireless telegraphy. At the very same time, Guglielmo Marconi was making his first experiments of signal transmission. In 1900, Popov stated (in front of the Congress of Russian Electrical Engineers),
    "[...] the emission and reception of signals by Marconi by means of electric oscillations [was] nothing new. In America, the famous engineer Nikola Tesla carried the same experiments in 1893."[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Stepanovich_Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.