Who here played the fantastic game Battletech?!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by spacemansteve, Jul 2, 2006.

1. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

Its very hard these days to find someone who has or had an interest in Battletech.

I remember when i was younger i lived and breathed the game, such and awesome concept with a rich story line. Well thought out if you ask me.

If i was a member of the Clans i would definately say GO CLAN WOLF!!!

or Alternatively if i was part of the Inner Sphere, GO FEDCOM! well whats left of it anyways... Bloody Steiners... Go Davion

This is a thread for all interested in the game to post their comments/views and ultimately what they enjoyed about the game

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

I've played MechWarrior 2, 3 & 4, and Mercenaries (the original one, based off of MW2).
    Does that count?

And, I too, once lived and breathed the genre. Me and friends thought up whole alternate histories of the mechwarrior universe, and thought up impractical mechs that weighed hundreds of tons, and had many, many weapons.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I played Had character on both sides Star Captain David Kerensky (that blood trial cost him an arm) and Baron Scott Anderson Colonel of the BlackJack Dragoons that retook their homeworld from Clan Jade Falcon before Tukkayyid.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tnerb Banned Banned

I do hope you are talking about the card game. I still have a lot of cards. Not sure if they quit selling them or not. I do play magic the gathering.

yip-yip-horray!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

Card game, RPG, the actual figuring version and even the pc games...

I had a clan wolf dude by the name of Vladimir Raddick, awesome bloke, managed to get him into a TimberWolf, then got blown away by a bloody Innersphere Catapult... scumbags hehe

they still sell alot of old FASA stuff including the game cards, but they're hard to find... eBay is a good place to start... am about to buy a 500 ton army of mechs on that

9. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

I am actually currently working on fusing the Battle tech Game world and a corruption of the Twilight 2000 rule set allowing people to play truly interesting mech mounting real life weapons well except the lasers and partical cannons.

10. Killjoy Propelling The Farce!! Valued Senior Member

`
    Ach !
    Used to be absolutely bonkers for Battletech "back in the day" !

We formed a mercenary unit called "Eight Ball Command"... I drew "nose art" and concocted names for our Mechs (only one which comes to mind now - Belligerent Ballpeen for a Warhammer )... We devised unit medals/citations for everything from shooting the head off an enemy mech to running out of ammo...

My impression of the "board" version, with either hex grid maps - or better still the sand table we made where we could make "random" terrain - and the seemingly endless array of lead figures was something akin to chessmen with guns... not to mention missiles, beam weapons & whatnot.

It was a little short on roleplaying - though I did have some fun playing a character with the superbly pompous name of OdinTyr from the Free Rassalhague Republic, who was wont to go about dressed like a samurai just to get the Draconis Combine types PO'd.
    LoL

Somewhere among the boxes in a buddy of mine's attic a collection of books, papers, figures, &tc ranging from the 4th Succession War to the Clan invasions most likely still lurks.

Fun stuff !

Wow...!
    Haven't heard that name in a dog's age !

Ahhh... the good old days... when we followed Ivan Elmer Golden and fought to be the Future Kings of Switzerland !

11. spacemansteve Not enough brain space Registered Senior Member

Just purchased said 500ton army, includes Atlas, Kodiak, Summoner, Timberwolf, Mad Dog, Kitfox, and a couple of others... I'm going to enjoy painting them up. Trying to find some Clan Wolf insignia's tho... pretty hard to come across.

12. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

I was Clan Wolf for awhile, then my circle moved to Warhammer 40,000, and my Black Sheep marines started kicking ass right off the bat. I never forgot my Clan though, *sniff! sniff!* Ah, the memories! Now we're running an anywhen campaign that neatly meshes every game we used to play.

13. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

Hmm, can anyone suggest a tabletop wargaming series for me to get into the hobby, that isn't by Games Workshop (argh their prices) kthxbi.

14. TW Scott Minister of Technology Registered Senior Member

Actually wargaming figures are always expensive no matter what. Now a friend of mine got past that with his printer, cardstock, and jpegs. Hundreds of counters for the cost of an ink cartridge and cardstock. Then just invent your own rules.