Who Created Anakin?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Mr.Spock, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Saxion Banned Banned

With a little logic, we can deduct what Sidious told Anakin to be true, for one major reason. He asked Anakin, if the JEDI had ever told him about the Sith Legend.

Of course, Anakin had not been told, but could easily have asked more about Pleigus.

It is for this reason, and for the fact that Sidious was not stupid, that Sidious would not have risked telling Anakin a lie, when yoda and possibly other jedi knew of the Legend.

What i think we don't know, is whether Sidious could actually manipulate the force to the degree of his master... if he could, why have we not seen evidence of it...?

It seems to me, that Sidious did not have all his masters powers... Only saying he did, without any evidence of it whatsoever. The only powers he displayed, was an amazing ability to move massive objects, many of them at the same time, and use the electric attack, which only one other Darth in the six episodes had learned to use (Darth Tyrianus)... or count Dooku.

So, we actually have no proof to suggest he could create life. We only go by his crooked word.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Saxion Banned Banned

Also, Sidious looks quite genuine when telling the story to Anakin... he looks as though he truely was ''going back to the day,'' he killed his master in his sleep..

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Cazzo Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yea, I think throwing her virgin birth into the Star Wars series was about dumb as J.K. Rowling making Dumbledore gay.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

If Anakin asked Yoda or someone about the story and they claimed it wasn't true, Palpatine would probably have just told Anakin that the Jedi were lying to him because they didn't want him to know the TRUE power of the dark side blah blah blah they're jealous of how powerful Anakin is getting blah blah blah why should he serve masters who lie to him about something that could save Pame blah blah blah.

Sidious could easily have been spinning bullshit to lure Anakin to the dark side by way of his desperation to save Padme.
    Even if the story is true, it's not clear from the movie that Plagueis was ever Palpatine's master.

8. Zakariya04 and it was Valued Senior Member

exatly true nasor

9. Saxion Banned Banned

In fact, Palpatine did not have his masters powers. He admits this in the 3rd movie.

Just after anakin killed Master Windu, Palpatine says, ''to cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, i know we can discover the secret.''

As for the rest, its a matter of what you like to believe.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

And again, Palpatine is probably the last person whose dialog you should take at face value. Even if he did have that sort of power, he couldn't have admitted it to Anakin. If he had admitted to knowing about it, Anakin would have immediately demanded to know about it, after which he would no longer need Palpatine. There is little reason to believe that Plagueis ever even existed, that he had those sorts of powers even if he did exist, or that Palpatine was ever his apprentice even if he did existed and had such powers.

Although I agree that Palpatine does appear to be genuinely enjoying "going way back" when talking about Plagueis being killed in his sleep.

11. Saxion Banned Banned

Yes, it seems very obvious.

12. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

If I had to guess, Palpatin's master was the one who probably created Anakin in an attempt to use him to create the most powerful Sith Lord. It's fairly apparent from Attack of the Clones that he had strong Dark Side tendencies. I suggest that perhaps Palpatine was more of a trickster than he was a fighter (that is not to say he's weak). He turned on his master when he discovered his plans to creating Anakin because it would probably mean that he'd be killed off at some point.

Thus, Sideous killed his master and was probably manipulating Anakin since he came to the Jedi Temple. Whether he knew he was the one that his Master had created before he was brought or after is unknown, but I think that's probably what happened. To Sideous, he was just using the others so that he could get his hand on the ultimate puppet; Anakin Skywalker. The guy who is perhaps the easiest person in the world to manipulate.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

It's also possible that Anakin was just created by "the force" itself to restore balance, rather than by any specific sith. Remember, the jedi had some sort of prophecy about a boy who was supposed to bring balance to the force (although they were too arrogant to realize that the jedi were the ones who had knocked the force out of balance and that the rebalancing would destroy most of them).

I doubt that Palpatine knew about Anakin before Kanobi found him, since the discovery appears to have been an accident rather than something that was orchestrated by Palpatine.

14. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

I place as much faith in that prophecy as I do the tooth fairy. Of course, nor does that change the fact that they are one and the same. I don't recall the prophecy mentioning that said person had to specifically created from the force.

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

So far as I know the prophecy didn't say that. I'm just suggesting that the force might be somewhat self-balancing, and when it gets too far out of balance (like because the jedi have been training almost every force user in the galaxy to be a light-side goody-goody for centuries) it might result in the creation of someone who was destined to balance things out. Of course there's no real evidence to confirm any of this from the films.

There's also the possibility that the prophecy was a false vision or something created by the Palpatine (or his master, or whoever) to make the Jedi think Anakin would be a good guy and should be trained.

16. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

In trying to find the interview where Lucas says that the loss of "balance" was caused by the Sith and killing the Jedi accelerated the unbalancing (and the death of the Sith restored balance), I came upon the answer.

According to George Lucas, the midi-chlorians brought Anakin into existence.

-The Making of Episode 1, Random House, 1999. So the midi-chlorians got it on with Shmi.

On the other point, Lucas said:

- CUT interview 09/07/99.

It seems that there was balance once, with Jedi all over the place, and the Sith cause the balance to be lost, until the chosen one restores it.

17. draqon Banned Banned

lame.

18. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Hmm, yet more proof that Lucas is a dumbass. It would make a lot more sense for the "balance of the force" to refer to a balance between the light and dark side, that it was unbalanced by the Jedi suppressing the dark side and training everyone to be light, and that Anakin was restoring the balance by killing most of the light-side jedi. I mean think about, before Anakin there were two Sith and hundreds of Jedi. After Anakin there were two Sith and two Jedi. Sounds like a restoration of balance to me.

Oh well, I guess you can't stop people from making stupid decisions about their own franchise.

19. Nasor Valued Senior Member

On a side note, in real life Palagius was a theologian from the 4th century who taught that people had to freely choose between committing good and committing evil (which was contrary to the general thinking of the time that people were all cursed to inevitably choose evil because of original sin). That makes it an interesting choice of a name to use for the guy who Palpatine tells Anakin about when luring him to the dark side. Of course, it could just be a coincidence.

20. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

In other interviews, Lucas has said that the light side is the "natural side" of the Force, the dark side is always corrupt and wrong. The universe is about symbiosis and working to mutual advantage, and the dark side is inherently selfish, using the Force for their own ends rather than allowing the Force to use them.

- Time interview (Bill Moyers) 03/05/99

In any event, if eliminating the Jedi = balance, and the plan to eliminate the Jedi was Sidious's, isn't Sidious the Chosen One? Why would the Chosen One be his lackey? Why aren't the close troopers who also killed Jedi "Chosen" too?

I do think the Jedi were too tied to the Unifying Force and not enough to the Living Force, and so there was an imbalance of a sort that seems to have been corrected in Luke, though that said Lucas seems to know squat about anything not directly discussed in the films, and in the films the references to that imbalance were somewhat oblique. (Mostly it comes up in Qui-Gon being the "maverick" Jedi despite being set up as the the keeper of wisdom in Episode I, suggesting that Qui-Gon, rather thaj the musty unbalanced Jedi Council, was the one on the right path.)

It is entirely possible that the balance was restored because Anakin forced Luke to embrace his feelings more (as in Qui-Gon's advice to him "Feel, don't think") forcing Luke to more fully embrace the Living Force in the process and bringing balance to the Jedi philosophy that way, while at the same time eradicating the cancerous Sith. The only issue I have with that is that it requires that the prophecy of balance be fulfilled in multiple ways, and I don't think Lucas is that clever.

The movies never gave me the sense that the Force wanted the Jedi dead, yet there did seem to be elements of the Force being hostile to the Sith (Sidious's and Anakin's twisted bodies being the most obvious examples), the movies did give me the sense that the Jedi philosophy was flawed. They were not "mindful of the present" and that allowed the opening that Palpatine exploited and enabled him to keep them blind to his plots.

21. Hellblade8 Valued Senior Member

Well, no. That isn't or at least wasn't the intention of the dark side vs light side part. Really, at its core, it was basically evil vs good...but it fell apart at Phantom Menace with mediclorians or whatever the hell they're called. The sad part is because the Jedi's powers were supposed to be mystical and religious in a sense. Now they're basically mutants like Spider Man and Wolverine.

The thing that destroyed the prequels is that George just didn't work with the originals. He wanted to alter the story to make it all about Vader; when it wasn't supposed to be. It was about his son. So rather than doing what a prequel is meant to do; explain the stuff that comes before the performance as per say, he tried to make it all part of the performance, but not be loyal to the material.

For example, the Clone Wars. Originally, I suspect it was a war where both sides used clones. Not just droids vs clones. Perhaps it would have worked, but Lucas really just destroyed it from part one. The first mistake was with Anakin coming from Tatooine...that's retarded. He should have been from one of the core worlds; Naboo would have been better. Second, he shouldn't have been a child as this was another problem. Of course, you could have worked with this...but you shouldn't have had Obi-Won meet him there.

The second point of the problem is Attack of the Clones; the whole thing was convoluted and again, stupid. Anakin went from being a quiet little boy to an arrogant asshole. He back talks to his master, acts like a total bitch because he misses his mother (and yet, apparently can't be bothered to check up on her or even free her...I mean, what the hell?) despite the fact that he would naturally have just grown distant from her since he was eight, is still in love with someone he met when he was eight god damn years old (which is again, retarded), and is sooo horribly misrable that it's pathetic. And to make it worse...he never really seems corrupted by Palpatine later because he murders helpless innocent children because people from their tribe kidnapped and killed his mother. He's an asshole. What Lucas should have done was to have eliminated Anakin's emo side and push forth the continuing dislike for the Senate's corruption. To the point where he turned to the Dark Side because he thought he was doing the greater good. Because he needed the power to save the galaxy. Rather than be de-limbed and set on fire, he shoudl have slowly incorperated technological abilities into his body because it made hims stronger.

When Palpatine finally brought him over to the Dark Side, it shouldn't have been just the cream on the victory cake; it should have been Anakin's turning that changed the tide of the war. It could even be to save his wife or GF as the case may be, but it shouldn't have been done in the way that we saw. Anakin shouldn't have tried to kill his wife; he should have just left her in shame. Basically, although he saved her from danger, he was ashamed of his failures (turning to the Dark Side, Vader admitted in Return of the Jedi that the Dark Side is almost like an addiction, and thus he did not have the strength to turn against the Emperor) that he basically just left her without bothering to ever check up on her. Or perhaps becoming a Sith Lord meant that he stopped caring for her.

In short, Lucas really, really dropped the ball with the prequels. There is nothing to like about Anakin throughout the series...until he's Darth Vader. That's basically how everyone that I know of saw the movie:

Anakin: I'm happy...I'm sad...I'm confused...I'm sad...I'm angry...I'm sad...I'm happy...I'm angry...I-

Ben: Are you Darth Vader yet?!

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Oh, the universe is about symbiosis and working to mutual advantage. Riiiight.

I guess I was assuming that the whole light side/dark side and balance thing was like yin and yang, where one is calm and gentle while the other is fierce and passionate. They're opposites and neither is fundamentally better than the other, but they both have their advantages and they have to be kept in balance. That would fit really well with all the stuff Yoda and Obiwan say about needing to "clear your mind" and "let go of your emotions" to use the force, while Palpatine and Vadar are always telling people to "give into your emotions" and "let your hatred make you powerful." Basically just two different ways to access the same fundamental power.
    It's also a little distressing how easy it was for Palpatine to corrupt the jedi, including various jedi masters. In addition to Duku and Anakin, he apparently also corrupted Cipherdias (or whatever it was) a long time ago when the clone army was commissioned, and who knows how many others. I wonder if the dark side is really so seductive that any jedi who dabbles in it is likely to get sucked in, or was the jedi's training not appropriate for preparing them? The way they were constantly told to never have emotions etc. makes me wonder if it was like a parent who is too strict with their kids, which causes them to go nuts with drinking and partying as soon as they move out.

23. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

According to the novel leading into AOTC, Sifo-Dyas commissioned the army on how own accord, because he had visions of the coming war. Sidious learned about the army afterwards from Dooku (Sifo-Dyas's friend), then, as a test of Dooku's loyalty, Sidious had Dooku kill Sifo-Dyas and take over the project for Sidious's own purposes. Dooku kept Sifo-Dyas's body in stasis, though and it was later used to help the cyberization of General Grievous (and Grievous was given Sifo-Dyas's light saber.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sifo-Dyas

Apparently, in the original draft, he was "Sido-dyas" i.e. Sidious.