Who come first the theist or the atheist

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by arauca, Dec 24, 2011.

1. ZAV Registered Member

AID-

Er, myths they bust? Your sources do not support your claim!

Look lad, I’ve been plain with you, now I will ask again. Can you prove that Elohim was meant to be read as “the gods” when the text was first written?

Your own source says Elohim was a singular.

It is disingenious to say that I am ignoring the overall culture and artifacts, as you aren't presentign actual artifacts from those who wrote Genesis 1. It is also dsingenious to claim that I can't know what the Text actually said, for if this is True then why should we Trust your assesssment? Woudln't it be just as lost to you as to me?

I am telling you again, there is no way you can read the Creation account and see Elohim as "the gods” because the verb tense is singular.

If you disagree with this, then present evidence.

It is not evidence to say “Ancient Hebrew is lost to us” and “You only know a modern version”, I want you to prove by direct evidence that the text is referring to a plurality of gods. It is not direct evidence to site Boas who wasn’t dealing with Ancient Hebrews. It is not direct evidence to take a snippet of a book you either quote mined or never read and someone else quote minded to support an overall contention. The only thing that matters here is that you prove that your claim that Genesis Chapter 1 was written by Polytheists and modern Bible translators are hiding this by Translating it “God” as opposed to “The gods”.

This is not a Semantic, this is a record. Your specific argument that they were polytheistic rests on this and yet this is utterly false.

As I said we can discuss the rest later. I just want you to either demonstrate that Elohim was indeed meant to be Plural, or admit you have no such evidence.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Try accepting this :
    All assertions about atheism are imagination. Perhaps I would accept atheism if it was proven to me, but in the meantime atheists should simply be quiet and keep atheism to themselves. Even an atheist who has personally proven to them self that atheism is true should also be quiet since inevitably they would fall folly to the pitfalls of "human" communication.

:shrug:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Why do atheists have to prove that your mythology is not real? Shouldn't you have to prove that it is?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. lightgigantic Banned Banned

only atheists who declare it is imagination or a mythology, since use of these words take the subject beyond mere agnosticism.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Aren't these things rather more out of the ordinary than naturalism? Aren't they so lacking in evidence that it requires faith to believe them?

9. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Trick question. Neither. The faithful came first.

10. river

atheists

because before the Extraterrestrials

were just us

11. Enmos Valued Senior Member

myth

noun

1. a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature.

5. an unproved or false collective belief that is used to justify a social institution.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myth

12. lightgigantic Banned Banned

hence the suggestion that one use more neutral terminology if they want to make it clear that they are steering clear from the assertion that the claim is fiction

13. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I guess it depends whether one already has the faith that the ordinary and current thresholds of naturalism translate as the sole voice in evidencing a claim (a view that is not only remarkably shallow but renders an absurd world view)
    :shrug:

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Using the word 'mythology' to indicate a religion does not by definition set it apart as fiction.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Feel free to provide a list of myths that are real so we can better understand your point
    :m:

16. elte Valued Senior Member

I think so too. But I rely on my eyes.

Please see my comment above.

I doubt it.

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Just read the definitions I posted.

18. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That figures ...

19. elte Valued Senior Member

Doubt has its advantages.

20. kx000 Valued Senior Member

Natural explanation Jesus is born to young Jude, and Mary. After 24 hours Jude goes to Egypt to prepare for the coming king. Joseph is appointed to watch over the mother and child. The flight into Egypt was Jesus, Mary, Joseph, and about 25 others. All but Mary, Jesus, and two or three more men meet their ends on the flight when Joseph hands off Jesus, and Mary to Jude along with Jude's brother and uncle of Jesus, James, and one or two more others. The rest travel north until the Roman army catches and executes them for treason. For the protection of Jesus, Jude had to remain the apostle of Jesus to protect the child from further persecution.

21. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

And disadvantages.

22. Enmos Valued Senior Member

What...??

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

I did

Thats why I asked you to provide us with a list of myths that don't suffer in credibility for being labelled as such.

Of course both you and I know that you can't provide such a list because both you and I know that coining something a "myth" is not neutral terminology which no doubt explains why both you and I know that its atheists who exclusively describe a host of claims surrounding theism as myths