Who are we fooling?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Cyperium, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Cyperium I'm always me Valued Senior Member

Why did you do that?
    -What?
    That!
    -Well, no obvious reason...
    Don't you have a reason?
    -I guess I wanted to.
    Wanted to??!
    -Yes, what's wrong with that?
    If you want people to understand you, you've got to have a reason!
    -But if I've got none?
    Invent it!
    -Invent it?
    Yes, invent it.

There has been alot of discussion of free will being a illusion, that our feeling of doing things, really is just a excuse because really <deep inside> you didn't know why you did it. You came up with explanations but deep down, you knew it wasn't so. Or you fooled yourself so much that you don't know the difference anymore. (as I believe most of us have)
    Here's a link that seems to suggest that.

That link however, denies that free will exists (at least it denies that it exists as you making a decision that could be changed if you did it again (even if being unaware of the choice you did before and having exactly the same experiance/initial conditions as before))

Free will isn't at our level, it's much, much deeper, and whatever reason we think we had, it wasn't the reason, beyond the reason you will realize that it was a higher reason and beyond that reason there is another reason, so unavoidable that you cannot believe that you haven't found it before...you allready knew it was that way...Remember that feeling when you were wrong and you got the right answer and you thought "But I knew that! it's so obvious!"

Sure the reasons you have for doing things seem true and totally logical. But when you find the greater reasons you'll realize that these were even more logical "why didn't I see that before!".

I havent found my reasons yet, but I know and feel that I've made a illusion for myself, a illusion that explain why I do things, even everyday things, it's all a part of a greater purpose, you know it, cause you've seen it before, when you found more and more reasons for what you did. So much so that it became a part of who you are. So who are we? Formless.

But to change things a little bit. Everything is the truth, some things are just more true than other, I think that when we find the higher reasons, then we realize that they were buildt ontop of our imagined reasons, that they as well were true, but that they only were a part of the real truth.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003