Which species's evolution is most successful?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Semon, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

May not be human beings. Most intelligent is not equal to most successful evolution.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

What do you mean by successful?
    That would make it an easier question to answer, successful at what?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Semon Howdy, hi and hello. Registered Senior Member

Most sucessful to spread its genetics.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

You could argue that "most successful" is equivalent to "most stable". That certainly applies if you consider the success of individiual genes.

Either way, bacteria are the winners by a long shot. Cyanobacteria have been replicating away for maybe 4 billion years virtually unchanged, and are still found across the globe. I'd consider that to be a pretty good benchmark for success!

8. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

All species alive today are successful in evolutionary terms. If they weren't they would have become extinct.

9. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

We'll have to wait until the next extinction event to find out. Hope we make the cut.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

The cockroach and termite have been around for millions of years before humans ever were here according to anthropologists so they are some of the best adapted creatures on this planet to survive anything. Roaches have also been irradiated to more than 5 times what humans can stand and nothing happens to them. Perhaps a genetic crossbreeding will happen betwen humans and roaches to have something that can travel through space without worrying about radiation. Could call them roachmen.

11. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

I would have to say the longs living species would be ranked as most successful as it did not need to change anymore. Perhaps cyanobacteria and archea or for the animal kingdom maybe the jellyfish.

12. Skylark Registered Senior Member

I think the precursors to mitochondria were pretty successful in spreading their genetics.

13. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

Rats are also pretty successful. They can adapt really fast and because of that they are hard to kill and can survive in very hostile surroundings.

14. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

the mitochondria have evolved so much with it host that most of the DNA to support it has migrated to the in the host genome. You might as well say ribosome are the most successful species as it is even more popular then mitochondria.

15. paulsamuel Registered Senior Member

That's not true.
    Although there is some introgression into the nuclear genome of some mitochondrial genes, very few genes I might add, and most are psudogenes, the mitochondrial genome remains very distinct and unique.

16. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

there is a japanese (?) film called "Parasite Eve" where mitochondrial are sentinent and had a plan to use humans as their carriers (even before we were evolved as homo sapiens) to use our evolution for their own agenda , and through millenia mitochondria evolved with our species (and helped it by giving extra energy) and now they want to get rid of their hosts because now we are slowening down their (mitochondria) evolution, it's a great film

-----
    with that being said I agree that "most sucessful to spread its genetics" bacteria indeed would meet your requirements. mitochondria are too dependent on their hosts. Most bacteria doesn't need a living host environment and it can even live in a lava stream.

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  17. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

was parasite eve a movie too? I've played the video game. I bet it would be hard to find. Was it live action or animated.

Back to topic, by the logic of roaches being successful, you would also need to add sharks and crocodiles.

As to length of time without adaptation, what about tube-worms and other fauna around the underwater chimneys. It is probable that their types have been around a long time too. Are they the most successful? They have a very limited range of environment.

On rodents, I have seen a lot of speculation on who would win if we actually had to compete with rodents. They didn't evolve until we were already far advanced.

In the end, only time will tell.

18. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Parasaito Ivu -the movie
    --
    I know that this thread says not to discuss humans, but I have one argument
    All (?) the other organisms abid the nature and evolve as the nature changes to fit it's requirements
    we however (be it good or bad) have evolved to such a level that we are able to change the environment itself, not to say that we have the ability to change our genetic code!!! (if we throw out ethics, etc)

Last edited: May 1, 2004
  19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Ants change the environment, termites change the environment, elephants sure as hell change the environment. We, however, seem to understand a bit more the nature of change. Notice, I say a bit.

20. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

true, I had a thought about ants also when I posted, but they can't deliberatly cause global warming or nuke the planet by will (not saying that it's something good)

21. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

I'm confused. ok, I agree with you, it's just another step in changing the environment.
    bacteria rule the show

22. whitewolf asleep under the juniper bush Registered Senior Member

ants can't destroy the planet. i say that's better. in that sense, human evolution went terribly wrong, since they may geopardise their own survival as well as survival of other animals, plants, etc.

i think successful evolution is about ensuring survival of the species, not spreading genes.

yup, bacteria it was, and always will be.

23. ElectricFetus Sanity going, going, gone Valued Senior Member

paulsamuel,

the mitochondria have evolves such a symbiosis with is host that might as well consider them the same organism. Yes the mitochondria does still have its own genome (in humans a tiny ~16570bp) but that does not mean it separate organism.