Which one?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by debt, Mar 4, 2004.

1. debt Registered Senior Member

Would you rather know everything(something,nothing,everything) or just something(nothing,something, part of everything)? I always feel pretentious when I post, sorry. Hopefully someone answers this with a very thorough answer.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It is better to know as much as you want or need to know about anything. Each person must decide when "enough is enough" so to say.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

If we were to know everything we would go insane. The disturbance of knowing everything could make even the most evil of men want to commit suicide. Think off all the experiances and thoughts you would feel from others, you would have to know about what they think, feel, see, hear, smell ect and this include all living things and much much more. It is overwelming and should never be achieved. Therefore i would rather know something.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

knowing nothing does have a certain appeal (not really nothing, obviously enought to let you live and stuff) but i wouldnt mind being able to forget how messed up this world is

8. Lemming3k Insanity Gone Mad Registered Senior Member

I think i'd have to know a little more than i do now, enough to make the people around me happy, knowing enough to get a decent job would be nice, knowing how to make enough money to buy a house(i chose a house because i cant really think of anything more i would buy) other than that, too much knowledge would kill me, theres some things i really dont wanna know, would anyone seriously wanna know everything including the mind of a pedophile? knowing what its like to die would be a strange thing to know aswel if you knew everything.

9. slivered roots Registered Senior Member

'If we were to know everything we would go insane. The disturbance of knowing everything could make even the most evil of men want to commit suicide. Think off all the experiances and thoughts you would feel from others, you would have to know about what they think, feel, see, hear, smell ect and this include all living things and much much more. It is overwelming and should never be achieved. Therefore i would rather know something.'

votorx, i totally agree with you.

10. errandir Registered Senior Member

What is the meaning of "know?" I find it to be an inconsistent concpet when applied to the object "everthing." From what I understand, one can only know information/thoughts, which is only a subset of everything.

11. Votorx Still egotistic... Valued Senior Member

Its only applied to everything when the intentions of the person using this word IS applying it to everything. If they aren't then it stays within the perimeter of the person's meaning.

12. errandir Registered Senior Member

What does it mean then, "to know," in this context? I don't understand. What transitive idea similar to knowledge could sensibly take everything as an object? I await a definition.

13. John Connellan Valued Senior Member

Very true. If we were to know everything then we would know that god doesn't exist and that there is no afterlife. This would drive the world into anarchy. Hence there are such things as religions and beliefs out there!

14. rainbow__princess_4 The Ashtray Girl Registered Senior Member

How about.... THIS! *flings cards at everyone and runs away*