Which mammal species are suitable to be kept as pet?

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Plazma Inferno!, Jul 13, 2016.

1. mtf Banned Banned

It's not clear inasmuch generalized knowledge based on research of behavior is actually useful in specific situations.

And some of that "research" is idiotic beyond comparison. I once saw a test they did to find out whether cats prefer commercial cat food or mice. The setting of the test was a veterinarian's examination room, a cat was placed on the examination table, and the veterinarian placed before the cat a bowl of commercial cat food and a dead mouse, and then waited to see what the cat would choose. It chose neither and jumped off the table. Only someone with absolutely no regard for animals could "design" such an "experiment."

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Well they did learn something about cat behavior. Just not what they were expecting.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. mtf Banned Banned

I'm not sure that veterinarian actually learned anything then.

And this isn't funny, because it can have serious consequences. Many people blindly follow what some supposed scientist tells them, which leads to suffering for animals.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

One can be a beneficial "Alpha" to a dog...beneficial to both sides. Both my Rotty's were my mates and our relationship, [as has been the relationship with all my dogs] was mutually rewarding I'm sure.
    Some people most certainly for many reasons should be banned from owning dogs or any animal in fact, for many reasons, including cruelty masochism tendencies, and of course those without the will power to be the Alpha, applying a firm, fair hand which is 100% required with certain pets and breeds, particularly in the city.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

Most mixed-breed dogs, and even many purebreds, have a very weak alpha instinct. If you give your dog an adequate amount of companionship (which varies from breed to breed--some enjoy solitude much more than others) and establish your role as the alpha of the pack when he's a juvenile, the odds are very high that he'll adapt to the relationship you've established.

9. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I occasionally watch The Dog Whisperer, or whatever it's called, on TV.
    It has convinced me that it is a very wise - and mutually beneficial - exercise to go through the process of training your dog to accept you as the alpha.

paddoboy likes this.
  10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

My neighbours own a breed that certainly seems to fit that description...beautiful dog, but rather aloof and nonchalant similar to a cat. That breed being the Chow Chow.