Which comic-into-movie do you like?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by wesmorrisbabe, May 28, 2003.

1. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

So, how bout it? X-Men? Spider-man? Superman? Dare Devil? The Hulk (is soon to be out, are you going to see it)? Are you a comic book fan? Do you like the movies you've seen based on comic books, for those who are comic book fans. Come on, you comic book fans. Let's here from you.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Avatar smoking revolver Valued Senior Member

Batman 1 'n 2
    although I've never read those comics, I like the atmospheric pseudo-reality of Gotham city

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

Spiderman was ok, Batman sucked so much ass, The hulk will likely suck, Superman might also suck. Daredevil looked like it sucked. Though you have to give them credit for putting in a lot more effort in Superhero movies than they did before...i mean Has anyone ever seen the first ever x-men movie...good lord it was flaming turd on celluloid.

Tomb Raider was also so so but Angelina made it all better with that almost nude scene

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. siledre Registered Senior Member

I was a die-hard Marvel Comics fan when I was a kid and spiderman was my favorite comic but the movie didn't come close to the comic as far as I'm concerned, Xmen 1 was okay but the characters they chose to play the heros was very good, number 2 of the Xmen was excellent, the choice for wolverine was excellent as well.
    I didn't like Batman comics and I didn't like the movie, Daredevil was a pretty good comic but the movie sucked especially the person they had playing him, the hulk will suck but the effects will definitely make it worth going.

8. man_of_jade Psychic person Registered Senior Member

Daredevil was good, spiderman was good, batman... could be better lol
    The big downer about daredevil was the cheap way of killing a main character without too much foreshadowing or being able to guess whats going to happen.

9. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

I like the Blade movies.

10. Voodoo Child Registered Senior Member

Comic---> movie is a recipe for celluloid disaster. eg. Judge Dredd, Tank-girl, Batman.
    Computer games are even worse: Mortal Kombats and the rancid piece of puke that was Streetfighter(the worst movie I remember seeing).

X-men is probably the best of a bad genre. It had actual characters and some social commentary(although crude and unintelligent). Hollywood has an affinity with established franchises. Take something people know and throw in some CG SFX and they know with reasonable certainty they'll make a buck.

11. sargentlard Save the whales motherfucker Valued Senior Member

To all those that don't know Tomb Raider is also a comic book...it has been for a while...that's why it is mentioned here

Peace.

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

I was thinking Batman I in first place, keep in mind comix-to-movies that were realeased back then were very bland and light, see Superman or Supergirl. In my opinion Batman had way more impact on the genre than any of the recent blockbusters, im talkin jaws/E.T./matrix kinda impact. I know it looks a bit rough now but back in the day it was pretty groundbreaking.

13. valentino Registered Senior Member

I rememebr I liked the Swamp Thing movie whenI was a little girl, and Daredevil was a good movie cause my sweet Kevin Smith cameo'd in it.

14. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

lol, Kevin Smith's short time in daredevil made the movie bearable for me too. I read somewhere he had been a writer on the comic book in his earlier days.

15. wesmorrisbabe Ethusiastic bistander Registered Senior Member

OMG! I'm glad I didn't see Tomb Raider. If it were possible, I would yell at Angelina Jolie to put her clothes back on! She's overdone it with the collagen lips, I would hate to see any other possible scarring she may have to try to make herself more "attractive."

I remember "Swamp Thing." I didn't realize Kevin Smith had a cameo in it. I like that guy. He cracks me up.

16. valentino Registered Senior Member

Not Swamp Thing! Daredevil! It would be pretty weird to see him in Swamp Thing though, the guy is barely thirty years old right now...

17. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

Superman! One of the best "oldies" I've ever seen. Very naive, cheesy at times but feel-good.

Did anyone mention Spawn? Horrible.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

Spawn, i forgot about that one! How could something, with so much potential to be a really different kinda show, suck so badly? It wasn't even just the story but every aspect of the production was terrible, even the effects!

Possibly, the worst comic -to- movie made in recent history.

19. Eman Resu Registered Senior Member

Give the Batman bashing a rest!

You have to admit that the first Batman was pretty good. Maybe the rest were weak but the first hit the spot. I remember standing in line half-way around the theater to see it on day 1.

How many other comic-book flicks brought that out of the masses?

20. Sarcophagus Registered Member

I agree with Eman Resu. The first and even the second Batman (on a slightly smaller scale) were incredible for their time. Needless to say, they were done by Tim Burton. I can't think of a director, even today, more suitable for directing the Dark Knight. No gay nipples and butt cracks -- and I say gay not to be hostile towards homosexuals, but because those suits were introduced to us by director Joel Schumacher, who is openly gay.

Regardless to changing the original comic storyline, I'm also impressed with Sam Raimi's Spiderman. I was a fan of Spidey's since I was a kid, imagining I could scale fences and walls, and hang upside-down for hours from them ... until I fell on my head. No, wait, that happened BEFORE I thought I was Spiderman. Anyways, you have to look at what they've had before the recent flick. The comics had always done well, the cartoons from the 80s were action-packed, but that motion picture from the 70s was horrible. I'm glad Raimi did a wonderful job, mostly due to the fact that he worked closely with Stan Lee ... and the huge budget helped too, I guess.

The Bill Bixby/Lou Ferrigno Hulk series and films were also highly-accepted for their time. I'm curious to see what thy can do with CGI Hulk. I'll admit, he resembles the REAL Hulk moreso than any human actor could ever portray. I don't know any people over 12' tall. Spawn sucked. Steel sucked. Punisher sucked. The 2 X-Men were decent (2nd one is better, IMHO). But the best one was Thor ... oh, nevermind, that was Adentures in Babysitting.

21. The Marquis Only want the best for Nigel Valued Senior Member

Tank Girl.

22. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

I loved Blade. I really liked the movie. The second movie wasn't that great, but the first one was truly awesome.

23. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Superman 1&2
    Batman - the first was good
    Spiderman was okay...
    I thought the TMNT movies were good kid films.