Which comes first, the chicken or the egg?

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Pachomius, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pachomius Registered Senior Member

I have an answer to the question which comes first, the chicken or the egg.

And I have put my answer in some websites where such a question is asked.

Can you volunteer your answer here, so that we can have an exchange of thoughts?

I have earlier sent my answer to that question in an email to myself, so that no one can accuse me of working on your answers to come to my own answer.

Pachomius

Addendum for clarification (from Pach, via PM):

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2009
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. iceaura Valued Senior Member

The egg cam first, and then the road - and then the chicken, so the egg could get across the road.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

We're all gonna think you faked the timestamps on the email anyway...

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

that depends on the chicken and egg, you should define the DNA code first

btw, i asked the same question here, it's on standby right now, but i'll see what goes with you..

lol, wish you luck.

i think the chicken came first.god created it.

8. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

I've often wondered which came first the platypus or the egg? As for the chicken and the egg, the correct answer was road ... yes, road. You get two points.

9. Pachomius Registered Senior Member

Here is my answer:
    Thanks for your opinions everyone who took the time and effort to think up an answer.

Pachomius

10. scifes In withdrawal. Valued Senior Member

since this question will be asked anyways, i might just ask it..

"but how did the chicken and eggs "appear""?

out of thin air?

-man this is way more fun, never though illogical teasing would be so enjoyable-

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What came first ? BALUT

12. swarm Registered Senior Member

Chickens are relatively new, as chickens, but eggs have been around since the invention of sex sometime around the Cambrian explosion. So the egg definitely preexisted the chicken.

If we change it to which came first the chicken or the chicken egg, then the answer is neither. They co-evolved from pre chicken avians.

If we change it to which came first egg producers or eggs, then from the fact that we have creatures alive today who can reproduce both sexually and asexually and we know asexual reproduction predates sexual reproduction significantly, it seems obvious that there were asexual reproducers who transitioned to eggs and therefor predate them.

13. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Absolutely.

Actually it would be the egg, then. Given when mutation takes place.
    What laid it was not really a chicken.

Of course to Christians, at least fundamentalists, the chicken came first. Having been made egglessly and named by Adam. Then she laid an egg.

I suspect Buddhists would be inclined to give the egg first place, given their affection for round things.

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

And here I thought the Rooster always "came" first!

15. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

You have it backward, as usual.
    The chicken created the god.

16. Pachomius Registered Senior Member

Chickens are relatively new, as chickens, but eggs have been around since the invention of sex sometime around the Cambrian explosion. So the egg definitely preexisted the chicken. -- swarm ​

You bring in the word sex.

What kind of sex are you referring to?

You are referring in the context of this thread sexual reproduction, yes no?

Tell us or enlighten us about sexual reproduction, in regard to chicken and eggs, i.e. chicken chicken and chicken eggs.

Or you are talking about eggs as a generic term?

In which case I have to inform you that when people ask which comes first, the chicken or the egg, they have in mind with the word egg, chicken egg, and with the word chicken, chicken chicken.

So, please answer again, which comes first, the chicken or the egg, understanding chicken as in fried chicken and egg as chicken egg which is a common food item in the homes of humans, as in scrambled eggs.

Pachomius

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

Not sure they even have orgasms. They don't have penises, in any, case. When mating they try to get a glob of sperm on the right place on the hen.

18. Doreen Valued Senior Member

He did address this issue.

I had a quibble with this answer, but he certainly addressed your question.

19. Pachomius Registered Senior Member

That is exactly the question:

Which comes first, the chicken or the chicken egg, which chicken egg was laid by an antecedent chicken, and which antecedent chicken was hatched from an antecedent chicken egg.​

I don't see why you can't get the question correctly from the very start of this thread.

Anyway, let that pass.

Your answer is:

"the answer is neither. They co-evolved from pre chicken avians."​

They co-evolved from pre chicken avians, you say.

Still, can you tell me which came first in the co-evolving process, the first ever properly speaking chicken which then laid the first properly speaking chicken egg, or the first properly speaking chicken egg which hatched into the very first properly speaking chicken, which then laid the next properly speaking chicken egg(s), which chicken eggs in turn hatched into the next properly speaking chickens, which in their turn laid the next batch of properly speaking chicken eggs, etc. etc. etc.

I have to tell you that you have not answered the question at all.

Pachomius

20. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

great answer

21. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The first "proper" chicken must have been an egg first, but the problem is there was no first chicken. Evolution happens gradually, no animal gives birth to something that is not it's own species.

Baron Bored

22. Pachomius Registered Senior Member

The first "proper" chicken must have been an egg first, but the problem is there was no first chicken. Evolution happens gradually, no animal gives birth to something that is not it's own species. -- Spidergoat

Well, that is your opinion, but it contains inconsistent statements, examine it (your opinion) carefully.

------------

Suppose we are given the job to contrive a chicken that will produce a chicken egg, which egg will hatch into a chicken similar to the chicken which produced it (the chicken egg).

How do we do it?

Possible ways of doing the job:

[ Not in any order of importance ]

1. Contrive the chicken first, or

2. Contrive the chicken egg first. or

3. Contrive the chicken and the chicken egg at the same time, by

1a. Contriving the chicken separately from the chicken egg, or

2a. Chicken egg inside the chicken, or

3a. Chicken inside the chicken egg. ​

Luckily for us there are already chickens laying chicken eggs and chicken eggs hatching into chickens, which then in their turn lay chicken eggs.

So, we use our intelligence to figure out what is the best way to contrive a chicken that lays chicken eggs or a chicken egg that hatches into a chicken.

How to proceed intelligently to choose the best way to produce a chicken that lays chicken eggs which hatch into chickens which lay chicken eggs, or to produce a chicken egg which hatches into a chicken which lays chickens eggs?

Choose one of the possible ways above to do the job, or think up your own way, but it must be intelligent which intelligent feature will be seen by intelligent people to be intelligent, once you describe and explain why you think up the way you do think up for the job.

Hint: Invoke Occam's Razor to do your job.

And also read post #6 above.

Pachomius

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Assuming you are one mutation away from a "true" chicken, as defined by an arbitrary standard of DNA sequence, you could have parents that are not true chickens, which combine to lay an egg of the first true chicken.

The problem is, as I said, there is no first true chicken.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.