Where is YOUR EVIDENCE ?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Theoryofrelativity, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Possibly, but psychosomatic doesn't work for everyone. A friend of mine was having bad dreams and I bought her a dreamcatcher (because she was "into" that sort of thing). The bad dreams stopped. But it wouldn't ever work for me, because I don't regard a dreamcatcher as anything other than a pretty ornament. Or do drugs work merely because I believe in them?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

You mean its all woo-woo until someone can use it to further their interests.
    Like the Indians using ayurvedic medicine for centuries and the Westerners now "discovering" the ingredients and patenting them?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Look at all the drug trials; especially the effects of placebos.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Maybe I should just take placebos. They'd be cheaper....
    So the "medical/ scientific doubletalk" about receptors and whatnot is just that: doubletalk?

8. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

It's woo-woo if you can't "prove" it.
    Are they really patenting them? (Don't keep up on medicine, more reading to do. Damn you woman, for expanding my horizons

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

) How can they do that legally?

9. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

What's to say we don't have the ability to cure ourselves? Probably don't know how to tap into it; yogic ascetics have tremendous mind body connections, and there are psycho neuro biological connections.

10. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Never tried it, but my sister did to stop smoking. She had a needle in her ear to "stop her feeling the desire for cigarettes". So she learnt to take the needle out, smoke a fag and then replace the needle...

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Prove it? we've been using it for centuries. Its based on Vedic medicine.

As for patenting, why, they are patenting the isolated ingredients, don't you know, which they discovered on "observing" the efficacy of some "traditional" treatments.

Mostly because we have faith in the way our medicines are made (naturally and with diet and other regulations combined). We don't want to isolate the "pure" stuff and market it. So they did and patented it.

12. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

I agree that there's probably a good deal of "control" to be had, but how many people can learn (or have the time to learn) that discipline?
    Martial arts teaches that thinking overcomes some limitations (punching through planks for example - I have come across people that wouldn't even consider attempting what I do without a second thought). But again, time and dedication are at a premium.

13. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Yeah we'd rather spend the time and money researching the cure than preventing the disease.

14. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Acupuncture as an anaesthetic? I'd rather do without altogether if that's the only choice. Needles are the only thing I'm scared of...
    How much time have these yogis taken to learn the discipline? Years? Decades? Who can spare that amount of time out their lives?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

That's funny; why are so many guys scared of needles?

You're assuming it takes time right? WITHOUT evidence!!!

16. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Frightened by mother's sewing box at an early age?
    Because what I've read on yogis says that they claim to have spent their lives learning the discipline and that it's not a five-minute thing. Likewise with martial arts - training, training, training. Time, time, time. If it was easy I wouldn't have spent all that time and money.

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

No yogis spend their lives searching fulfilment (whatever that is).

Nobody's ever looked at how they train themselves.

18. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Just going by what I've read that they've said...

19. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Now you sound like a theist!

20. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Which would apply to non-circumcised males (e.g. me), how?

21. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Ouch!

22. Theoryofrelativity Banned Banned

I know the evidence exists re B6, but re my self diagnosis, to me the cause and the effect is evident only to me, I can't make it evident to anyone else.
    This is what I meant, and like Sam notes, what if I made this connection as I often do re other things I have eaten without resorting to googling! Am I delusional?

23. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

What about pink tanks? Not water containers, but pink armoured vehicles.
    I saw one once in central London, not far from Tottenham Court Road. I was drunk, it's true, but it was definitely a tank, and it was definitely pink. Full size, driving down the road. I postulate that if pink tanks can exist then so too can pink elephants.
    (While conceding that when it comes to warfare on the battlefield a pink tank is a white elephant.)