Where do our minds wander?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by wegs, Jan 24, 2021.

1. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Anyone who has tried and failed to meditate knows that our minds are rarely still. But where do they roam? New research led by UC Berkeley has come up with a way to track the flow of our internal thought processes and signal whether our minds are focused, fixated or wandering.

More from the article:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/01/210119140203.htm

Interesting that it's not uncommon to have a wandering mind, so why do we beat ourselves up when our minds wander say during meditation or trying to focus on a specific task? Maybe the key is to strike the right balance, between contemplating and goal planning (allowing for a little mind wandering)...and being in the moment.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Think it boils down to "So much to do, so little time"

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sculptor Valued Senior Member

For meditating, may I offer a suggestion:
    find a focus---mantra, picture, etc... (anything really)
    and let the mind wander----during pauses, come back to the focus
    then
    let the mind wander
    relax
    enjoy
    and
    during the pauses
    come back to the focus
    then
    let the mind wander
    the point is to free the mind of conscious control
    don't force it
    let it happen

eventually, you will find that you have freed your mind of conscious control

wegs likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

When you free you'r mind of conscious control... what controls you'r mind then.???

8. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Isn't it the subconscious?

Sneaky one. Never says what HE is thinking BUT you find yourself doing what he wants without thinking about it

9. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Wait a minute... that sounds like some sort of scam... in the meantime i will wait for sculptor to clear it all up

10. sculptor Valued Senior Member

conscious
    subconscious
    supraconscious
    murky definitions on a good day
    LaoTzu
    the dao/tao (the story about falling off of a wagon)
    letting go of the conscious control frees the mind to facilitate working with the body

right brain
    left brain
    again murky
    connected by the corpus callosum (which is usually more active in women than in men)

or id
    ego
    superego
    again, murky

the conscious mind is what we use as part of our acculturation
    eg reading and writing
    like now for instance
    too much of living in the conscious mind to the exclusion of the rest of the mind may be debilitating

Konstantin Stanislavski had an exercise wherein you were to think about each muscle involved in walking, and then, while doing so, try to walk
    The point was to show the limits of the conscious mind

when I sculpt, I struggle with each movement and agonize seeking the best placement of the clay and tools, and then
    on a good day
    I stop thinking about it and just do it and suddenly, it gets done without the interference from the conscious mind

Carlos Castaneda
    "to be without thought is to be with power"

ok
    clear things up, or made it murkier?

11. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Murkier like your clay I'm guessing

sculptor likes this.
  12. sculptor Valued Senior Member

now
    maybe
    you have an insight into why i usually avoid getting into explaining things
    it's complicated

another
    when first I started shooting, I took careful aim
    eventually, i quit thinking about aiming and just shot-----which improved my accuracy significantly
    (snap shot---see the target, bring the rifle up into the line of sight then squeeze the trigger---without planning it)
    it was like the rifle became an extension of my arm
    aiming was as easy as pointing a finger at the target.

still murky?

13. Michael 345 New year. PRESENT is 72 years oldl Valued Senior Member

Your subconscious in action

This imp sitting in your your brain having nothing else to do just sit there and calculate when you engaged in shooting

Sees the opportunity to hit the target BEFORE your conscious mind does and prods your conscious mind - SHOOT NOW

sculptor likes this.
  14. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Im at my best when im most conscious/most alert... but Oh well... difernt brains behave diferently... an some may have a level of "noise" that needs to be eliminated.!!!
    I like to shoot the same style as you... but i dont imagine that its unconscious/subconscious shootin... i see it as a conscious... very deliberate style... but i can see how some might emagine it as magical-like... as if you'r not even takin aim... which you actually are... its just more accurate... wit practice... not to try an hold the sight on target.!!!

15. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

Thanks sculptor! Do you meditate on a regular basis?

16. Seattle Valued Senior Member

In sports this concept would be when you are "in the zone". It's not that you aren't conscious, it's just that you aren't consciously thinking. You are just "being". It works for meditation as well, as was pointed out.

In meditation the idea isn't to still the mind. That's not how the mind works. Let the mind do what it wants to do and don't expect stillness. Just don't consciously think and try to control it.

In basketball, just as an example, you practice movement and shooting. You do it to the point where there is no thinking involved because you have developed "muscle memory". If you really know how to type (not just hunt and peck with one finger) it's the same. I could look at a piece of paper and copy it via typing and I could do that at 80 words a minute or faster.

If I started reading it and thinking about it as I typed my speed would go down and the mistakes would go up. Your mind by actively thinking gets in the way of some things in certain cases. The subconscious is faster (more direct). It's not magic however. It's still doing what you've trained it to do.

As a kid you had to learn to tie your shoes. You had to think and to concentrate. Now you do it very quickly and accurately and largely without conscious thought. This is only because of the work you put in previously.

17. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

Yeah i liked to “just being” when i woud go out to my truck at lunch time… an be so tired that i coud close my eyes… start to drift off… but while still awake i coud begin to see images movin around an doin stuff that i wasnt controllin… kinda like lucid dreams.!!!

Yep… nuthin mystical/magical about it.!!!

Speakin of pont an shoot… when i was about 8 i had a rubber stopper gun an i was very accurat wit it an even practiced quick draw pont an shoot.!!!

One summer mornin when me an dad was about to leave the house i knew he was about to walk into the livin room… an as soon as he did i quick drawed… pointed the gun at his head… the gun fired an the rubber dart stuck right between his eyes an he wasnt happy… lol.!!!

I didnt pull the trigger but the dart release was so worn that the gun woud fire on its own sometimes… Oops.!!!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021