Where can I get some inexpensive VGA i-glasses?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Carcano, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

You know thiose little LCD "head mounted display" goggles people use for gaming? I've noticed that the VGA input versions you can plug into a PC and use as a monitor are about ten times more expensive than the standard audio/visual inputs.

What brands should I look for under $500...are there any???

Last edited: May 10, 2006
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cato less hate, more science Registered Senior Member

I read the site, and it said it was like 70 inches at 13 feet. for 500 you could probably buy a 70in lcd =]

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Someone mentioned that such googles can cause wooseyness because of not having any reference frame if you moving about etc (notibly a VR discussion)

There was some research being done into augementated systems, where the visor or screen was a transparent overlay. So you could basically see the outside world through it. I think the plan was to do something similar to how theatre use to create ghosts, through the reflection of light. Armed with the right kind of glove you could interact with ghostly objects that appear in your room (Which aren't actually there)

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. domesticated om Stickler for details Valued Senior Member

8. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Too bad it has to be under $500. For $900, you can get this which is getting rave reviews:

http://www.3dvisor.com/

105" at 12 feet away. Mmm..

I'd buy it, but that'd mean I'd need to buy a new GPU cause it only works on Nvidia. I bet movies are awesome on that thing.

- N

9. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I've heard about the disorientation effect also, but it wouldn't apply to me as I don't move about much while surfing. I don't want them for gaming (or 3D effects), I want to see if they will lessen the eye strain I get from concentrating on a monitor.
    Thanks to all who replied.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Placing an LCD infront of your eyes might not lower the strain. For the most parts it's not just strain but the level of radiance. Lower your brightness, or better still make sure that your room is well lit. You have to imagine your iris is suppose to contract when dealing with light, if you are sat in a room with only the monitors glow for light, it's hardly causing your eyes to react properly.

There are also a number of anti-glare/anti-radiation screens you can get for old CRT's that can aid, but what you could look into is getting an LCD unit (Thats different from TFT) LCD's generate lit pixels in a different way from both CRT/TFT's, their radiance level is therefore a more appropiate wavelength.

Failing all this you could look at projectors, considering when you look at a sheet of paper you do so from the light of a bulb and what you are looking at is the light being reflected. projectors would work in the same way, just the light itself contains the image which is then being reflected.

11. Carcano Valued Senior Member

TFTs are just a type of LCD display no? I thought almost all LCD screen use TFT tech to enable a fast response time???

What would be really good is to get one of the new Mitsubishi Pocket Projecters. These are tiny units that use an LED light source that lasts several years and generates very little heat - so noisey fans aren't required.

12. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I found TFT's generate a higher luminousity, some infact so high that they gave me more visual pain than a CRT. Not the same as a low yield laptop LCD.

Also some projectors are HDTV compatible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.