Where are the discussions about current problematic issues in science?

Discussion in 'Alternative Theories' started by quantum_wave, May 13, 2014.

1. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I don't think consistency is a word that we will be applying to the energy thingo definition anytime soon

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Maybe so, though in this thread my speculation is that there are two opposing forces at work to give us dark energy. One is gravity, as in the force of gravity.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I agree with the universe being infinite and has always existed. This thread discusses my speculation about dark energy, and addresses only one Big Bang event and the surrounding space. I take that to be a finite patch of space that includes everything that is causally connected to the Big Bang, and a sufficient amount of low energy density space surrounding it so that the two opposing forces of energy density equalization, and gravity, can play out in the scenario. I would also speculate that if ours was not the only big bang, then each would occur within preexisting space and each would evolve the characteristic we call dark energy.

I will follow your thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thank you, Wellwisher, I should have posted a good link to Dark Energy myself.

8. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

That is an interesting concept but it is not consistent with my scenario.

9. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Another interesting concept not consistent with the speculation I am asking members to comment on here.

10. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I can't make this thread science. I'm not "doing" science. I'm asking the members to consider a scenario concocted by a layman science enthusiast. The scenario has preconditions to the Big Bang. It includes everything that now exists that is causally connected to the Big Bang, and sufficient space surrounding it for the scenario to play out, and I'm then asking members to comment on if the scenario could explain the mysterious dark energy.

Before I go to the effort to respond in more detail, you may want to request that this thread be moved, and as I said earlier, I don't care where it is. I normally conduct my threads in AltTheory, and if you want to ask it to be moved there, I'm fine with it.

It is here in this forum as a tiny, unworthy effort to show how civility, and honest questions about a personal speculation can be conducted here at SciForums, and doing it in the proper forum is my objective.

11. OnlyMe Valued Senior Member

It seems to me that CptBork did a pretty good job of starting with your what if and ending up by saying it doesn't seem to work out!

I am not convinced that the Big Bang is an accurate depiction of the origin of the universe.., even if it does superficially explain some of our observations. So personally, introducing bubbles of energy density doesn't add anything, to what does not appear, to me, to be a convincing model. Thus this will be my only post on the issue.

It is ok to start with an idea, but unless you just want to hear yourself talk, you have to be willing to listen to where it takes anyone else willing to engage the concept....., even when that diverges from your original intent.

If you think about it when Einstein published both the special and general theories of relativity, it generated questions he did not initially address..., and within the resulting discussions his initial theoretical models evolved.., GR perhaps a bit more than SR.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Moderator note:
    As requested...

13. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that one comment. This is not a model about bubbles of energy density. I present my hobby-model out here in AltTheory. This is a tiny offshoot of a model that presents a scenario about space surrounding our Big Bang event and asking for comments from members about if such a scenario might explain dark energy.

I will expand the scenario, if appropriate, with my description of energy density equalization. The idea is that energy density equalization takes place when two energy density differentials are allowed to interact. That is a force in this scenario. The opposing force is gravity.

The operative layman level speculation is that gravity is stronger than equalization in close quarters, and energy density equalization is stronger when there is unlimited low energy density space surrounding a Big Bang ball of high density energy. The hobby-model addresses much more of the speculations and hypotheses, and they reside in my thread hobby-model thread here the Fringe, where that magnitude of speculation upon speculation belongs

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  14. Farsight

I think you're speculating too much with that, and that you should stay as close as you can to general relativity and established cosmology and known physics. Yes, some might accuse me of not doing that, but I like to think I'm pretty close. Negative pressure really is tension and conservation of energy applies. That kind of thing.

I don't know if you know, but the infinite universe is a non-sequitur that comes from the presumption that space was curved and the universe was closed, followed by the WMAP finding that space is (apparently) flat. You can even find that on this NASA web page.

I don't dispute that, because I don't know how you can get something from nothing.

OK noted. But I would remind you that gravity doesn't "suck space in". We do not live in a Chicken-Little world.

15. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thanks for your comments. Just so you'll know where to get an idea of gravity in my hobby-model, check http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...smology-2014&p=3188266&viewfull=1#post3188266

16. Farsight

IMHO it's too unlike general relativity, quantum_wave.

And that I like most other posters dislike discussing physics in a stigmatised sections of a forum. So that's all from me.

17. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

You are right about both points. I'm always happy to get comments from members, but in the absence of comments, I still hobby around. I'm not expecting much response, but making sure everything in the model is internally consistent, and not inconsistent with scientific observations and data. That is not the same things as being consistent with existing theory, since there are rumors that they contain inconsistencies and incompatibilities.

18. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Just FYI, I actually did put a lot of time into considering your idea or at least my understanding of your idea, although I haven't posted any of the diagrams or calculations I worked through (don't see a real need to anyhow based on where the discussion is headed). I have to ask you though how you claim to check that anything is consistent or inconsistent with scientific observations and data, when you haven't made any detailed or exact predictions (or really any predictions at all other than the known fact that distant galaxies accelerate away from us). As far as I can tell at the moment, your theory hardly contradicts with any statement or claim whatsoever!

19. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

Thank you for that. The likelihood that my approach would make sense, being outside the box so to speak, was not high percentage. That dark energy idea was one that I thought would give me a chance to bring an idea to P&M, in an unassuming way, and try to work on presenting a thread civily. I think that worked, but of course, it not being scientific, it didn't belong there on its merits. I made it clear that I was OK wherever it ended up.
    That is just a layman science enthusiasts standing claim, challenging anyone who wants to prove me wrong to read my thread. There is a catch, and that is that the whole thing starts from the bottom up, i.e. taking only scientific observations, and trying to answer my own questions, without automatically invoking current theory unless it fits, in my estimation. For example, what caused the Big Bang? There is no scientific consensus, so I laid out the alternatives that I might have read about, or come up with, and then investigated and made my personal decision. That decision would lead to more questions, and over the years, and over maybe a hundred threads, I made a layman level, step by step set of reasonable and responsible speculations, much based on popular media and Wiki

, me being the arbiter of what is reasonable and responsible.

The result is my hobby-model. It would be poor entertainment to you, but a good hobby for a retired accountant interested in science and cosmology.

20. CptBork Valued Senior Member

Ok, you spend a lot of time thinking about this stuff and enjoy it, so I'm curious why you don't make some effort to learn some of the math and background material behind the things on which you want to speculate. I'm not telling you to do it for anyone else's sake, I'm wondering if you don't think it would be genuinely beneficial to have some sort of firm foundation in a subject that interests you. You can learn a hell of a lot of stuff in 10 years if you want to, and the help resources out there for struggling students are better than they've ever been in the past.

I've had a high math aptitude my whole life, but my personal start in physics came as a teenager because of my dissatisfaction with the idea of a cosmic speed limit confining us to our solar system and particles operating as probability waves. However, it didn't take me long to realize that I had a great deal to learn about the foundations underlying these concepts before I could say anything about their validity, and it was only in learning those foundations that I truly came to understand and appreciate both the elegance and the inevitability of the theories we deal with in modern physics.

Wouldn't it be more fun to be working on your own hobby model if you were actually able to attach a model to that model?

21. quantum_wave Contemplating the "as yet" unknown Valued Senior Member

I suppose you have the image of me pouring through comic books and wiki, and pretending to solve the problems of physics and cosmology. Encouraging me to learn something sounds like you have that image, lol. Gosh, the truth hurts.
    Not making any claims as to what I know, but if I spend a thousand hours a year on my hobby, just by accident something might start rubbing off, maybe. I keep hoping.
    If I had your background, I would be working on the inconsistencies and incompatibilities, and continually brainstorming solutions to problems that there are no answer for.
    I couldn't be having more fun than I am, lol. It is a selfish hobby, and I do it to learn, and I learn what I want to learn. You have a high math aptitude, I have a high mechanical aptitude, and also can work my way through a lot of equations if I want to take the time; it takes me a lot longer than someone who works with it all the time though, and I don't enjoy it. I am good with numbers, having been an accountant and financial manager all my life, but my gimmick there is that I want you to tell me which theories correspond to reality, so I only have to struggle through the right math. To be practical, you may as well let me wallow in my ignorance, because you and I see things from two entirely different perspectives. Thanks for taking the time and interest though.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Join the club!
    I also enjoy science particularly the cosmological sciences.....
    To get myself up to scratch, I have read many books my many reputable authors, such as Thorne, Rees, Begalman, Davies, Hawking, Kaku, and a few others.....That along with learning what I can by checking out SR/GR on the net, and forums such as this.
    But one of the first things I learnt, is that we have many many "would be's if they could be's" that demand that they have over-ridden 20th, 21st century cosmology, with claims of ToE's and such, with 100% certainty....
    I then ask myself some logical questions....
    why do they come here? why not get there own view of things peer reviewed? Do they also have access to Planck, Spitzer, Kepler, and the giant telescopes we have plus the HST? If not, how can they claim to disregard 100 years of research and giants from the past.

I speculate the BB as being a WH from another Universe, although I was once informed by a GR expert that that was Impossible.
    I still reason in my own mind, why cannot it be like this? or why cannot it be like that?
    Although also loving the cosmological sciences and the awe that discussing such stuff brings, I also realise that I have limitations in both mind, and knowledge, and the access to highly technical probes and Instruments.
    But what the heck, I've said all that before.

23. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Wouldn't it be funny if Einstein was right all along and the big bang was actually just the manifestation of the white hole that the black hole in some other 'place' is linked to.