Whence next for Star Trek?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Starthane Xyzth, May 25, 2004.

1. The Singularity The last thing you'll ever see Registered Senior Member

hmmm .... a series based on Section 31. That would be an interesting series to see as we don't know much about then anyways. But I agree ... a storyline set on the darker underside of the ST universe would be something worth making.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pangloss More 'pop' than a Google IPO! Registered Senior Member

Um, how 'bout a show that's just well-written and interesting.

Surely if there's one thing we've learned in the last ten years it's that "gimmicks" aren't getting us anywhere.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

they could make a storie where the holodeck somehow malfunctions or or or some form of temperal distorsion, no no wait i got it how about a storie where the crew some how out smart a omnipotent being....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

*kev voice* nah theYve DoNe tHAt AlReaDy

8. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

You'd think holodecks would have been outlawed by the Federation years ago, considering the number of times they've malfunctioned and killed people (or near enough). And shouldn't there be ethical considerations, in creating self-aware holograms who are condemned to exist only within an emitter environment? It ought to be banned...

9. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

it gives good material though. and they are uselful for training simulations and things.
    i think one story covered that topic, on ds9 they created a continuous program that was even more real than normal, and all the holopeople got really pissed and tried to kill everyone. the only way to stop them was to reroute power to the aft shields and make a last ditch attempt to seal a condiut, thus destroying the holopeople in a wave of medicore special fx.

or something :bugeye:

10. etplus Registered Member

I cannot aggree with you, the TREK series is great and anything they come up with I will fully support. They are thousands and thousands of fans around the world. We are due for a DS9/Voyager movie and I would not mind having a show about the USS Titan or a mixing of DS9 and voyager crew as a TV Show.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Long live Star Trek !

11. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Indeed. I would watch Star Trek: Titan. Or even a movie based on it. I would like to see Captain Sisko come back and kick someones ass. Or even a show based on The Doctor from Voyager (Let's face it: he was one of the best ST characters ever).

12. etplus Registered Member

Well, I say Seven Of Nine was the best character of all Star Trek history !

13. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

whats the point though? If history is any guide it'll just be a rehash of an enterprise episode, thats a rehash of a voyager episode, thats a rehash of a ds9 episode, thats a rehash of a TNG episode.

I LOVE trek, and would probably watch almost anything they put out but thats just because good effects and space babes is enough for me. But I hate to see a once great franchise become so mediocre. They REALLY need to take a few years off and hire a completely new staff, get some fresh ideas because right now star trek is the sci-fi equivalent of a harlequin romance. Same damn thing over and over with the names and locations changed.

14. etplus Registered Member

The writers are not the problem at all. The TREK franchise as become better and better (not much competition cause the original Star Trek was yuck). Even ENTERPRISE is great.

Long Live Star Trek !

15. Brandon9000 Registered Senior Member

When watching the original Trek, one should sharply distinguish between the first two seasons and the third and final season. Between the end of the second and the start of the third season, Gene Roddenberry quit in protest over the way the network was handling the show, and, once he left, there were few good episodes ever made again. In my opinion, the episodes of the first two seasons were all excellent, except for "The Alternative Factor," which I didn't like.

16. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

New writers: DEFINITELY. I'd happily be one of them...

(Yes: I know I dropped out of the SciForums Fleet thread very early on.

Just didn't have the time, or unlimited internet access. Now, if only writing were a paid job...guess I'd publish my diary, to start with.)

17. etplus Registered Member

Again, the writers are not the problem. The viewers are !

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

why? because we get bored by endless repetition? How dare we expect innovation and creativity!

No, your right, we should just be happy with the mediocre drivel we're getting and keep our mouths shut.

19. etplus Registered Member

Yes, you should keep your mouth shut... What repetition. Your arogance really is bothering me. How can you claim to like Star Trek and have comments like this. It is so easy to blame the writers.

I am a true TNG, DS9, VOY and Enterprise fan. Loved them all.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

You surely cannot claim to have loved EVERY SINGLE EPISODE, however.

I'm sure each of us can make a list of episodes he/she thought were awful: in TNG, for example, there was "Code of Honour" (more warrior ethic and unsubtle racism), "The Naked Now" (a blatant rip-off of a classic TOS episode), "The Outrageous Okona" (Flash Gordon-like juvenilia), "Shades of Grey" (the inevitable clip montage, not really an episode) and "Time and Again" (deliberately repetitive beyond the point of tedium) - to name only a few.

21. mickeyboy Powerslave rocks Registered Senior Member

I love star trek, but thought that TOS was over rated, and yes i am old enough to have watched them first time round. Oh don't get me wrong it was great for it's time, but it just can't stand up to TNG.
    Data has to be one of the greatest sci fi character of all time.
    LONG LIVE STAR TREK

22. Brandon9000 Registered Senior Member

I think that it would be hard to watch TOS episodes like "City on the Edge of Forever," "Bread and Circuses," "Balance of Terror," or "Assignment Earth," and describe it as overrated.