Whence next for Star Trek?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Starthane Xyzth, May 25, 2004.

1. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Enterprise has us exploring the time before the various Treks; should the history they established be continued further forward, as well?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Any future incarnation of Star Trek, set after Voyager, should again take a new direction. It ought at least to pick up more of the stories left open-ended by the previous Star Trek incarnations, rather than simply rehashing similar themes with yet more new alien races. The apparent collapse of the Borg Collective, and end of the Dominion War, will have thrown up local power struggles and revolutions on various planets, surely; the Delta Quadrant will be in turmoil, and Species 8472 might decide to invade again. The future technology brought home by Voyager will change the balance of power in the Alpha Quadrant.

There are intriguing alien races we saw only once - what happened to the Gorn, the Children of Tama, the Sheliak, the Zalkonians, the Voth? All have at least some reason for future interactions withtthe Federation. Is there a deserted empire out there littered with vastly superior weaponary, left behind when the Husnock were exterminated? And what about the people from the tachyon-core planet, who advanced from tribalism to spaceships in only a week? In year of Earth time, they should have reached virtually Q-level development - and probably travelled to Earth before Voyager made it back.

Who else has a few thematic suggestions for future Treks (not Enterprise)?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

hopefully the trashcan is the direction of star trek. theres been enough of it.
    if they want to make more, write books and things.
    dont screw up the lagacy by trying to make mor than necessary.
    trek will be remembered for years to come, for bad or good. i dont think anything else is required.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I don't think the public will allow it to die just yet.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

i will, and everyone knows im right.
    i really think its gone fare enough.
    what more is there (apart from carrying on previous storylines) can they do.

version 1- introduced characters and general trekkyness
    version2- improved
    version3- dodgy soap opera that layed LOTS of ground work for most feuds in galaxy
    version 4 - gave possibitlties for zillions of new stories adn filled in the 'explorer' part of the thing.
    version 5 -like 3, gave lots of context, and lots of explanations.

what now?

8. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Whatever happened to making DS9 and Voyager movies?

9. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

no more star trek please

10. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

We need more Star Wars...and make it good!

11. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I would like them to do what they did with TNG. Go forward from the TNG/DS9/Voyager era to a point in time where things are sufficiently different that we can have all new stories.

The jump from the first series to TNG was a bit less than a century. Perhaps the same interval will serve again. It would allow for some of the alien species we've learned to love to survive and still be important players, like the Ferengi and the Klingons (my personal choices) while allowing the Cardassians and the Bajorans to sink back into obscurity. Some of the species from the Gamma and Delta Quandrants could be brought into play. It would even provide a chance for the aliens that live so close to us that even Capt. Archer's Enterprise could reach them, like the blue guys with the antennae, to show themselves after a couple hundred years of inexplicable inactivity.

We'd have the usual smattering of surviving characters, Tuvok the long-lived Vulcan, the holographic Doctor from Voyager, and Data of course (or whatever the duplicate android's name is), who could explain his older look by saying that people seem to feel more comfortable with an android that at least shows some signs of aging.

Or it could go further into the future. But if it does they'd damn sure need to do a better job of it than Andromeda, where 3,000 years from now humans still use the same given and family names that we do and still play basketball.

I don't see how they could squeeze a series in between Enterprise and the original show. It's been mighty difficult to make Capt. Archer's ship look futuristic to 21st Century viewers, without being more advanced than Capt. Kirk's.

We're ready for more Star Trek. Especially if they could return to Roddenberry's original dream premise which was that the future could be peaceful. I hated it when they had to turn the whole thing into a giant war with the Borg to keep the TNG ratings up, and then DS9 was nothing but a wartime drama. I never actually loved the original, but I appreciated the fact that the Enterprise was a ship of peace and its universe seemed to offer the potential for peace among spacefaring civilizations.

I'm really fed up with shows like Earth Final Conflict and Andromeda, promising a future of non-stop warfare.

OK, I forgive Stargate. It's so damn well done that I can live with it. Andromeda is a piece of junk and Earth Final Conflict just gave me a headache trying to figure out what was going on from one week to the next.

Oh gee, maybe I'm a hypocrite. Farscape and Babylon 5 were the best of all.

Last edited: May 25, 2004
  12. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

You know, that's not a bad idea. That's a great idea! So it would be the Next Next Generation! But it would be awesome, think of the technology...

I liked Andromeda

Earth Final Conflict...couldn't stand watching that for five minutes. It's so bad and so boring!

13. Logically Unsound wwaassuupp and so on Registered Senior Member

you mean the F6 generation.

14. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

They could introduce Wes as a new competing collective.

I like Fraggle's idea. Do a forward time skip. Shake things up a bit. And give it some action. TNG was nothing but long-winded conversations. They rarely left their ship sometimes.

Or how about they have a show based in the anti-universe. The one where the good guys are bad and the bad guys are good. Where Spock had a goatee. That could be interesting.

15. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

I would like to see a spaceship that is not so orderly and boring

all this
    2:Yes Captain?
    1:Repair our (always faltering) engines
    2:That´ll take time captain!
    1:You get 6 hours!
    2:We´ll do it in 2 captain

sucks. Has the starfleet no chaotic and slightly mad
    crewmembers.
    I want to see some people who do not
    walk and talk like they got a stick up their ass.

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

What about a proper war within the federation.

A bloody messy war. Two camps..nobody trust each other, nobody gives a shit about being nice. It is about survival. It is about being way over the edge.

And the klingons were the first to be wiped out because they fight not to survive but because it is merely in their genes. Humans on the edge were more vicious.

17. Kunax Sciforums:Reality not required Registered Senior Member

The 3 major themes of Star Trek

1. Holodeck accident
    2. Time trouble
    3. Last minut victory vs vastly superiour enermy

no more star trek unless its a damn bloody one, to end it all.

18. Dreamwalker Whatever Valued Senior Member

How about we send our Scifleet thread as script.
    That would be good for Star Trek.
    (would even be more fun if we play the captains and admirals

)

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

There was the serial killer on voyager. A pity they only showed him in one episode. They never killed him, just locked him up for the rest of the voyage. He was played by the guy that played Piter DeVries in the original Dune movie. I should know his name because he's been in so many parts, but I don't. I always think of him as Piter.

Then on TNG, they had the Max Headroom guy that got superintelligent for an episode and took over the ship. I was always always partial to that episode. I think it was Max Headroom. It's been awhile since I've seen it. Wait, maybe it was Murdock from the A-team.... Can't remember for sure. I think it was Murdock.

A show based in the radiation wars or whatever it was (they used parts of it in the original TNG episode) would be interesting. Of course, it wouldn't be much of a Star Trek because they haven't discovered Warp power yet.

20. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

You obviously missed the 2-parter linking seasons 2 & 3 of Voyager: the serial killer, Lon Suder, WAS brought back, and died to save the rest of the crew! The actor's name is Brad Dourif; he played another serial killer in Babylon 5. Most recently, he was Grima Wormtongue in LOTR.

You must be taking the Mickey, right?

It was Murdoch, real name Dwight Schultz, and his TNG character (Reginald Barclay) returned in numerous episodes of both TNG and Voyager - not to mention the movie First Contact.

As for a new Trek set considerably further in the future - maybe they should base it in the 30th Century, which we've glimpsed in several episodes of Voyager and Enterprise? Starships have by then given way to timeships, and the previous millenium is both playground and battleground for the mysterious factions of that period.

21. Closet Philosopher Off to Laurentian University Registered Senior Member

I think that the should follow up on what was going on with the character that kind of.. left. They could be about another race. Maybe it can follow a group of humans who travel across the galaxy to different planets and go on different alien ships. Maybe they could be engineers. I think Reginald Barclay should appear in the new Star Trek. He is one of my favourite characters. The new Trek will need to have more humor and lots of characters with an edge.

The series could also be about the formation of the Federation.

There is lots of time before the new series, so this may be an early discussion.

Blood, Sex and Booze, Star Trek style.

They could also show the life of that crew member (forgot his name) that is from tyhe future than is on Enterprise.

Ooooooooooooohhhh, the possibilities.

Excuse me, but I am a little tipsy after having a lot of drinks during the season finale of Enterprise.

22. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Grima... Doh... How could I have missed that one? That's the one everyone would know. He also played in Myst III: Exile.

And I guess I did miss those episodes. I only saw the one with him. So he actually turned out to be a hero, huh? Bet he doesn't get that chance often in his roles.

Yeah, Barclay. Personally, his character always got on my nerves. Too whiney and whimpy. I just liked that one episode where he became superhuman. I've always been partial to storylines like that.

How about Star Trek Confessions? Candid sex stories from space traveling strangers.

Edit: Max Headroom was on TNG wasn't he? I'm thinkin' he might have been the time traveler that was pretending to be from the future but was in fact from the past and was stealing technology.

By the way, Starthane. You know too much about Star Trek for your own good.

Been to any conventions lately.

Phasers on stun, captain. j/ki

23. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

Okay, here's what I've heard:
    Paramount has the next two Star Trek series plotted out.

The first deals with the Federation meeting a new threat in the form of a new race. The story revolves around Riker (who is the captain of his own ship now). His ship polices the Federation's other borders while the new threat is drawing most of the fleet's resources.

The second deals with the Federation having actually fallen to this new threat and the aftermath.