When will scientists govern the world?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by grazzhoppa, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Re: anoxio98

So do all other humans. The invention worse than the nuke was the lie. Of course it has its own positive uses as well.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

science itself is already quite a political institution. It would be therefore unfair to Give them the job of ruling the world because then they would be forced to play politician on two levels. when will they then have time to investigate nature?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neville Registered Senior Member

They already have that time spuriousmonkey. they have had the time to begin to decipher genetic code and change it.

edit=sentence structure and mis-wording

Last edited: Dec 11, 2002
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vortexx Skull & Bones Spokesman Registered Senior Member

I think the current model is quiete succesfull to rule the world:

- the captain of industry that pays the scientist to invent new toys he can sell to the consumers and he pays some moron politician to be head of state and protect his foreign investments.

8. Neville Registered Senior Member

I agree vortex. Who said that by-the-way?
    Banks take our money and invest it in companies who use it to attempt to convince us (through advertising) that we need something we dont: they use our money to convince us to give them our money! :bugeye:

9. fadingCaptain are you a robot? Valued Senior Member

Have some more scotch mr. g!

I rather liked that first post hehe.

10. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

About banks:

I dont care if someone is manipulating me as long as it is to my best intrest. I get intrest on my savings acount, protection from thievery, and a psudo-healthy economy. Sounds like its to my intrest, dosnt it?

11. Neville Registered Senior Member

Yeah i agree. but we dont know what is really happening to our money. Could be being invested in genetic modification which will one day destroy human existence.

12. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

I hope you do know Neville that gene cloning has been around since 1971-1973. The revolution in biology is therefore already 30 years past us...and now we get upset about it, because it is fashionable to do so????

13. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

My MOTHER was involved with cloning mice in her youth. Thats just sad.

Anyway, if someone tampers with my genes in a bad way I can allways tamper them back into shape at a later date.

14. Neville Registered Senior Member

no. Because i wasnt even born in '73 so i wasnt aware of it!! I have only recently become aware of its actual existence. I never thought that it would happen. I cant beleive theyre actually doing it!! "Scientists were so busy asking whether we could that they forgot to stop and ask if we should" Jurassic Park. Jeff Goldblum.

15. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

Honest Politicians ??

I know the 2 words do not go togehter.. But... it is the Damned beauracrats ( how do you spell that word ).. that teach them how to behave..

16. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

'what was your problem with genetic engineering again? (because i didn't quite catch the link with the topic title:'when will scientists govern the world'. Or is it related to some other problem?)

17. Neville Registered Senior Member

18. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

why would deciphering the genetic code be equal to ruling the world...

19. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

Because knowledge is power .

20. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

i'm sure that the power will not reside in the hands of the scientists, since they will just do the work. Similar to that the power in drugscompanies is not in the hands of scientists but of CEOs etc.

if you would like to equalize the powerbase we should get rid of patenting in the field of genetic engineering and biological sciences.

21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

And then I turn myself into an autotrophic slime-mold and have myself launched to mars. There I spawn thousands of my brethren and form one giant mass-mind.

22. notPresidentAndrew Banned Banned

What was it, 2500 years ago when Plato imagined a world governed by philosopher kings? Well, until that happens we scientists might as well kick back and wait.

23. adam2314 Registered Senior Member

Because knowledge is power .

Power comes from the barrel of a gun ( Mao ).