When will cars be able to drive themselves?

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by John J. Bannan, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phonetic stroking my banjo Registered Senior Member

It would be extremely annoying and dangerous for many years, whatever system was brought into place.

There would be computer errors, loopholes that nefarious characters could exploit to cause chaos, malfunctions causing accidents. New systems of any kind have their glitches and require a human to be there should the shit hit the fan. I doubt we'll ever be able to drive around out of our faces on drink or drugs and accept no responsibility for what the car is doing.

The most likely method I can think of is multiple cameras attached to the car and some very beefy computers inside that would process the input. RFID and GPS would compliment this, but play a secondary role. There are too many variables not to use cameras and sensors. A pedestrian could walk into the road and your auto-car would keep going, or drive straight over the log that's fallen off a truck.

Personally, I'd rather be in control. At least if I screw it up it's my own fault.

I agree with Toyota's (think it's toyota) assisted parallel parking system. A lot of people are utterly useless at parallel parking and it would speed things up for everyone. I'd be doing it manually, though. I'm perfectly capable of driving and I don't want to pay for sophisticated computers and equipment I have no intention to use.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fugu-dono Scholar Of Shen Zhou Registered Senior Member

According to Sony when they use 'Cell' processors. Just kidding. The AI would have to be absolutely reliable and safe before it's adopted. It would have to be able to adapt to every possible traffic condition and be in complete sync with the navigaion. Considering there's minor bugs and such in every programmed things nowadays it will be awhile yet. Don't hold your breath. Such reliable AI certainly be convenient when I go out drinking late though (which is often). Could save taxi fares.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. srikar Registered Senior Member

There will be no cars after some decades, only bicycles

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

without smart roads to go alongside the smart car it wonr happen, and its still pushing it. think about the accidents, you cannot trust a computer to work perfectly. it can crash it can reboot it can get a virus etc etc,

how would the car know of a broken bottle in the road? or a little kid that ran infront of the car. its just to risky im aware of motion sensors but thats not good enough, we need somebody to make sound judgements,

and ontop of all that you say a chauffeur is expensive. well yeah but i dont think a self driving car will be cheap either lol.

peace.

8. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

We already have the technology to stop nearly all drunks. In some states habitual drunk drivers are only allowed to drive with a breath analyzer interlocked to their ignition. It would be quite feasible to install one in every car at the factory.

Most of the idiots should have been caught at the DMV when they applied for their license. America has some of the most lax licensing requirements in the Western World. In some other countries they expect drivers to know what to do if their rear wheels break loose, not just take their hands off the wheel, use them to cover their eyes, and yell, "We're gonna die!" I've been told that Germany was browbeaten into giving a much easier version of their driving test to the families of American soldiers stationed there during the Cold War--and still half of them failed it.

As for speeders... Most of the speeders who cause mayhem are either drunk or idiots or both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.