When was war justified?

Discussion in 'History' started by Betrayer0fHope, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

I have to write a history paper on it. I think I'm going to say never, but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When tyrants take over and make citizens their servants and cause genocide to come about plus attack other countries to gain control over them would be a few causes to start a war.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

At what level is this paper for?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. vslayer Registered Senior Member

war is always justified. if no-one could justify war then there would be none. just because personal justifications may contrast, doesnt mean the other guy isnt justified according to his own beliefs.

8. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Theres a difference between an offensive war and an occupation.

For example, the Romans were justified in attacking the Gallic peoples, who were constantly threatening Roma, sacking it several times.

But that doesnt mean they were jusitified staying in northern europe for centuries.

9. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I agree with Vslayer ....every war that's ever been fought has been justified by someone!

For your paper, you'd better be sure to define what you mean by "justified". The worst, most vicious murder "justifies" his actions ....for himself! You might not agree, but "justification" is different for different people in different situations. Be careful of that definition.

Baron Max

10. tim840 Registered Senior Member

The most obvious answer is WWII. The Nazis were rampaging throughout Europe slaughtering everyone who thought differently from them and the Japanese were rampaging through Asia slaughtering everyone who looked at them cross-eyed. After attacking our allies, the Axis attacked us, so we went to war. WWII was the most justified war in our history.

11. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

I can see some justification for war with Japan, but why should it have mattered to us what the Nazis were doing in Europe?

See? Justification takes on a whole new realm of principles when we begin to think about it. If we make the claim that we were helping our "friends/allies" in Europe, then can't we use that same excuse in numerous places around the world?

I think the problem with "justification" is that it's completely subjective and can apparently be used with any number of excuses or reasons.

Baron Max

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

How about the ships that were being blown up that were sending our allies supplies by U boats? Or finding out the concentration camps? Or how about Germany invading other countries that were not doing anything to Germany? There are other as well but those are some that you should know about.

13. Nasor Valued Senior Member

For a history class? :bugeye: Sounds like something for an ethics or philosophy class.

14. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

Well, should we have been sending food and war supplies to our allies?

How was that any of our business?

See? When viewed from a different perspective, justification for war takes on a whole different meaning. Are we/were we the world's policemen? And if so, they why don't we do so now in places like Somalia, Zimbabwe, Congo, Ethiopia, Pakistan, Iran, Venezuala, Colombia, Mexico, Korea, China,......?

Baron Max

15. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Actually in WWII Germany declared war on the U.S. before the U.S. declared war on Germany.

16. Baron Max Registered Senior Member

If someone declares war, does that mean that the other must actually go fight the war and meet on the battlefield? Can't they just decline the gracious offer and stay home?

Baron Max

17. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Not if its a preemptive war and they are already home.

18. Crunchy Cat F-in' *meow* baby!!! Valued Senior Member

When one group has the intent to threaten the survival of another.

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I'm a libertarian and one of our principles is that no one has the right to initiate violence against another person. The only legitimate use of deadly force is in self-defense against a direct threat, when no other means are available.

This means that no one is justified in starting a war, but everyone is justified in fighting back.

Of course the problem is in defining a "direct threat." If the neighboring country is building missile launchers pointing at you and has given you 24 hours to surrender, that's obviously a direct threat even though they haven't even crossed the border yet. But what if they have simply built up their weaponry, historically considered your country as part of theirs, and just elected a new leader who whipped the population into a frenzy of irrational patriotism?

20. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

I believe the only justifiable war is a defensive one.
    If all had the same outlook, there would be no war, because there would be no military aggression.
    Hence, no war is justifiable.

21. Xylene Valued Senior Member

Against psychopaths like Adolf Hitler, for example. Also in situations like Rwanda, where some outsiders could've quite legitimately got involved to stop the genocide.

22. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I agree, no offense but in defense.

23. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Indeed, and I suppose if the US had more politicians of German origins the government may have sided with Germany.