When the going gets tuff ...

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Nick Stenson, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Nick Stenson Registered Member

Have any of you ever noticed that at one point in your life you'd rather be dead. Nothing is going your way at all. For example Jenny is in 9th grade. Her boyfreind breaks up with her, her grand father dies, and shes doing poorly in school.

All this happens over the course of a month or two. Time doesnt play a factor. Now its been a while or a couple days after all this turmoil, and Jenny is so happy. Things are going great. Her families all asone now after the passing, shes made the basketball teams and is getting better grades and shes talking to a really cute guy she meet at the mall the night before.

The story isnt factual its a mere example of how life seems to appear before me. With freinds and even myself at times.

Is it luck?
    God?
    The fact that you were down in life and fought harder to regain the self satisfying needs you didnt have before?

Its hard to actually put into words but i think you understand what im saying.
    Thanks guys

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Nick you touch upon and interesting topic and I hope other readers agree with me and post to it.

What you are describing is a cycle in life that most people go through. A moment of intense dispair, a suicidal thought or act. A desire to end the nightmare that we feel our lives are at that given moment.

The paradoxical thing is that 'suicide' or more to the point being on the brink of suicide offers a great chance at seeing your life for what it truelly is and surprisingly enough for most of us we see life in a positive light and walk away from the brink.

Scenario:

A guy is standing on the edge of a cliff, to jump would mean certain death.

If the man is smart enough he will realise that for the first time in his life he has a real choice that he and he alone can make. He is for the first time in control of his destiny. Two choices....... jump or walk away.

Most people walk away and see life as differently, life as a bonus and not to be wasted. The become empowered with the knowledge that they control their future and that life is a voluntary act. They know that they can come back to the cliff any time they like and make decisions knowing this.

Some jump and explore the unknowable.

When councilling suicidal persons in the past I have said to them "imagine you are already dead"......and then I ask "what now? What are you going to do with your life now that you are dead?"

Sounds like a crazy way to approach this subject but you know..... it works.
    Some times a suicidal peerson will state that life is just a painful illusion and I say if so then death is also an illusion.

You see there is no escape not matter what you do..dead or alive..so you may as well make the most of it.
    You may say that death is final thus a permanent release but if you can state that with absolute knowledge you are a more knowledgable man than any I know.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Good words to say. Nicely put.

- N

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.