When is racism okay?

Discussion in 'SF Open Government' started by Mrs.Lucysnow, Aug 18, 2009.

1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I read recently that the Vietnam war is eliminated from the syllabus of the Vietnamese children.

While initially I found that puzzling, I recently met a woman from South Vietnam and she explained to me that they were tired of war and wanted to "move on". The point of wiping out that part of history from their collective national consciousness was to enable healing without recriminations. I found it a novel and yet disturbing solution. Can you just ignore history like that?

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

It is. Sam again is using her bullshit to divert and distract from the topic which is about discrimination on this site, her discrimination in particular. YOu want it to be about aussie land then go and start a new thread. I don't want her racist fucking rubbish in my thread.

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You mean like immigrants who move to places like Denmark I suppose.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Racism and religious intolerance has become the new wave in sciforums. Its called 'in good faith'

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Who or what is responsible for the preference showing in Indian matchmaking websites for lighter skinned Indian brides?

Is this from Bollywood, or Hollywood, or the British, or the Arab and Mughal Muslim Influence, or the ancient "Aryan" invaders or all of those reasons? What cause did I leave out? Maybe the soap advertisers on Indian TV should be blamed. Do these soap models never go in the sun or are they Kashmiris?

Is the preference for fair skinned brides getting stronger or weaker? My guess is that this phenomena is still getting stronger as media images become an increasing part of Indian people's subconscious minds and desires.

9. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

You obviously have never been to Vietnam. The Vietnamese do not wish to wipe it out, they are proud of their victory but what they do not do is sit around resenting the Americans or French or Chinese. Maybe you should take a page out of their book.

10. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The Indian word for the British is "go-rey" which means the light-skinned ones.
    Note that culturally our symbols of beauty are dark [Krishna for example]. But you're right, it could be related to earlier symbols. Its just that when we think "fair" we don't think Mughal or Arab [they are "like us"], we think white or go-rey.

And you're also right that its getting worse. Our dark skinned Bollywood beauties have all but disappeared. And now even the men advertise fairness creams.

http://www.lehren.tv/ViewVideos.aspx?id=3180

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  11. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Fairer skin in many Asian countries isn't racially motivated out of a sense of belonging to the 'wrong' race. Its similar to the aesthetics concerning fat and slim women here in the States. Slim is considered aesthetically more beautiful than dark but its not a feature by which those who are dark are discriminated against. In Japan and Korea they prefer white skin as they find it more beautiful but they discriminate against mixed children who have a white parent.

12. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Light skin might equal health and wealth because poor girls have to work in the sun and get dark and eat and drink contaminated unnutritious food.

The period of European domination of Asia might have played a role in increasing the preference for light skin even though the Japanese and Korean dislike for half whites that you mentioned seems to suggest that European domination played no role.

If light skin is preferred because it equals wealth and health then plumper "rubenesque" women should be preferred to thin woman. When American wealthy woman started getting more exercise and spending more time in the sun than American poorer women who work indoors then the American tastes switched to tanned thin woman.

It may all be about class. When is classism OK?

13. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Yeah but it is about class.

14. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

A big "yay" for reverse racism and discrimination?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

15. Mr. Hamtastic whackawhackado! Registered Senior Member

I hate a race. The human one. Any thoughts on how to kill them all?

16. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

Write a letter to Charlie Manson, he also hates the human race and has many novel ideas on how to get rid of the rest of us. You can begin with 'Dear Santa..."

Or you can just wait for everyone to get so sick of living on the same planet with the likes of Sam that they just blow themselves up:shrug:

17. Doreen Valued Senior Member

It is already happening. Instead of making society to fit us they will, more and more, make us to fit society. Right now that is handled mostly through fear - fear of losing jobs, fear of social punishment, etc. - but more and more this will be handled with genetic and technological modification.

Homo sapians will be eliminated by test tubes and implants

Which may be for the best since they are replacing nature and as a homo sapian this is breaking my heart.

18. PsychoTropicPuppy Bittersweet life? Valued Senior Member

^Nuclear, chemical or biological warfare perhaps? Or all at once?

19. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I'm partial to a virus that turns them into cannibalistic zombies. Probably not gonna happen though.

20. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

We can just wait until there aren't enough resources and everyone just kills each other.

21. Doreen Valued Senior Member

As far as I can tell that happened a long time ago. The cannibalism is not direct, but just as effectively kills and destroys.

22. Mrs.Lucysnow Valued Senior Member

He's joking Doreen. There are numerous movies about virus turning people into zombies.

23. parmalee peripatetic artisan Valued Senior Member

I was, but people are indeed already cannibalistic zombies--we just downplay the former aspect. Accordingly, this is George Romero's message (at least with the original Dawn of the Dead, I think the remake was just filler); the Italians on the other just like to film extreme close-ups of people gouging each other's eyes out.