When/ how did you become an atheist?

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by spidergoat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

The two of you are not alike, not to me.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Time to call Spidergoat.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmmm....

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

No but everything points in the same direction. Also Jedi is an official religion in the UK. Anyway it doesn't matter. Nobody can predict the future. What I can say though, is that it would be naive to think that religion cannot possibly go extinct at some point in the future.

8. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

About what?

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Modern atheism is a set of beliefs.

10. gmilam Valued Senior Member

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

12. gmilam Valued Senior Member

I have been told I am atheist because I don't believe in god. I have no problems with that, it's just a label.

However, I do have problems with people then telling me what I do believe.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  13. srikar Registered Senior Member

i am not an atheist.why should i become an atheist?
    show me proper reason

14. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

I wasn't choosing to engage you. Just making an overarching comment applicable to the topic of this threat. (Why'd he get banned?)

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The word atheism can refer to various things. It can describe a lack of belief, as with infants, or it can describe a deliberate informed disbelief, or it can be used to describe the modern atheist movement with all it's connections to the enlightenment, rationality, science, and secular humanism. I think talking about what this word means is boring.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Because you can be free in your own mind without thinking someone is watching and judging you.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

This thread was only addressing people who are already atheist. Seems like it has drifted off topic a bit.

Your question “Why should I become an atheist?” sounds like a new topic. Why don't you consider posting it as a new topic. I can guarantee you will get a good response. I can't ask that question, because I am an atheist.

18. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

You're using Spidergoat as a reference. Impressive. Is he some sort of deity?

19. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

Anyway it has already been established that there are various interpretations and uses of the word atheism. I think it's fair to say that it has been discussed plenty here on the forums.

20. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I will refer to the popular atheist PZ Meyers:

Dictionary Atheists. Boy, I really do hate these guys. You've got a discussion going, talking about why you're an atheist, or what atheism should mean to the community, or some such topic that is dealing with our ideas and society, and some smug wanker comes along and announces that "Atheism means you lack a belief in gods. Nothing more. Quit trying to add meaning to the term." As if atheism can only be some platonic ideal floating in virtual space with no connections to anything else; as if atheists are people who have attained a zen-like ideal, their minds a void, containing nothing but atheism, which itself is nothing. Dumbasses.​

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/02/why_are_you_an_atheist.php

21. SciWriter Valued Senior Member

Yes, sort of, since he is smart, and he has a thread in which he is 'God', or at least the second son of.

22. universaldistress Extravagantly Introverted ... Valued Senior Member

23. YoYoPapaya Trump/Norris - 2012 Registered Senior Member

I disagree with that definition. He wants to redefine the word just like our theist friends. I don't like it because several definitions of the same word lead to confusion.

He talks like the "dictionary atheists" define themselves in their lack of belief. It's pretty silly really. Atheism is just a label to describe a person who doesn't believe in god stuff. Whatever else that person is, can also be described. He might think of himself as a "strong" atheist like spidergoat does. What that really means is that other than being an atheist he is also an antitheist. He believes no gods and he believes that religion is positively harmful to humanity. That's not atheism though. That's antitheism and atheism.

Signal is trying to "make the atheists fight eachother" over definitions of atheism. Spidergoat is trying to hijack the word atheism into his "strong atheism"/antitheism/neo-atheism camp. I just tell you what the words actually mean. I know that language is organic, but you're actually making the language poorer by this attempt of redefinition.