When heavy elements disappear?

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Beaconator, Dec 3, 2022.

1. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Does their energy go to the center if the earth or toward the atmosphere?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. billvon Valued Senior Member

They don't disappear.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

WTF are you talking about?

C C likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Well some of them only last seconds or less…

8. billvon Valued Senior Member

. . and then decay to other elements. No disappearing.

9. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

That’s what I figured.

if you stuffed enough hydrogen into a small space would it fuse into helium or boron?

10. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Does the energy move toward the earth or toward the atmosphere?

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Energy is just a number - a concept. Energy doesn't move anywhere.

Yes, if atomic nuclei are stuffed into a small enough space, they can fuse together. "Small enough", in practice, usually means you have to get their centres closer together than around \(10^{-15}\) m. The trick is in finding a way to make that happen.

12. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

My problem has always been wyh they use super chilled hydrogen in fusion experiments. If you mixed oxygen with the hydrogen the fusion fuel could be under a state of high energy that would require less pressure from whatever experiment they are using. Frustrates me but the idea is years old, I just let it go after a while cause its out of my hands.

13. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

They don't. The most common approach, including the multi-billion dollar one that is currently under construction in Europe, used super-heated hydrogen.
    Please explain why, referencing the relevant science.

14. trevor borocz johnson Registered Senior Member

Well, if you used a hydrogen oxygen mix in an explosive, the mix would be under high pressure and temperature when the secondary goes off. Then the primary is also the tertiairy fusion stage and needs a fraction of the energy from the secondary compared to current models. Currently you only get a high percentage of fusion in a fusion to fission ratio after 5 mt or higher. That number could come down significantly.

15. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Another failure.

nothing can make hydrogen therefore nothing can sustain fusion.

Except… oh well never mind.

something that creates enough heat and cooling effect in a small space to transform subatomic particles into hydrogen

16. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Primary? Secondary? Tertiary? What are you talking about? Nuclear weapons?

The pressure that a hydrogen-oxygen mix (or any mix) is under depends on how it is confined; you haven't specified that. Are you talking about gases? Liquids? Solids? What?

Your second sentence lacks any context, so it's impossible to determine what you might be talking about.

What's a "mt"? What's the relevance of a fusion to fission ratio?

You started talking about "fusion experiments", but now you seem to be talking about something quite different. Did you lose your train of thought?

17. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

You mean, you failed to understand fusion? I can believe that.

If you're alleging some kind of failure on my part, you'd better explain.

Was I wrong to say that super-heated hydrogen is commonly used in nuclear fusion experiments? If you think so, then please provide some evidence that supports your view.
    Explain the relevance of "heat and cooling" to subatomic particles.

What are you talking about?

I think if I left you in a room with trevor, you'd probably both be quite happy talking past each other, about nothing. You'd still be at it if I came back a week later, with neither of you haven't communicated to or learned anything from the other.

18. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Why not do that, then? But ideally not in the Physics and maths section

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

19. foghorn Valued Senior Member

For some time now I've been wondering if JR is a shrink considering how he keeps the oddballs rolling around this site.
    We are his test tube patients, remember how long he kept Farsight going.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    C C and exchemist like this.
  20. exchemist Valued Senior Member

As I recall, it was rpenner who finally excreted Farsight, having had enough of him preaching balls in the hard science sections. But that was back in the days when there was still a reasonable amount of science discussed here. Forums seem to be a dying medium these days.

foghorn and C C like this.
  21. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

No I think the experiment is a failure. I understand the logic behind it and I’m sure it has results, but not having enough hydrogen to sustain the reaction will inevitably make it stop. Or enough material to fuse.

to explain heating and cooling. Hydrogen was made by the Big Bang and nothing else is known to create it. By extreme heat and rapid cooling.

I don’t agree with him, and I hope one day you will wake up and work with me.

and you know all my solutions. Even if I use flawed logic to get there at times.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  22. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

Well what has science done lately?

these aren’t exactly exciting times for science.

23. Beaconator Valued Senior Member

A thought just came to mind. We have answered what happens to heavy elements, but not the purpose or order it serves the universe.