When Does Trump Become a RINO?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by joepistole, Apr 20, 2017.

1. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The Republican Party has a long tradition of dismissing Republicans as RINOs when they in some way irritate the cognitive dissonance of the Republican base. So my question is when does this happen to Trump? It happened to Baby Bush. So when does it happen to The Donald? Does it happen before the congressional elections next year or after? How bad do things have to get before Republicans label Trump a RINO?

Trump has gone pretty far to the right, so that might give him some more time. But what happens when the Republican ideology fails as it inevitably will? It's kind of funny. The Republican base supports their POTUS all the way even when the POTUS does things which are antithetical to Republican ideology, e.g. Medicare Part D. That support continues right up until they become an embarrassment, usually after they leave office, and then they become a RINO. So when does Trump become a RINO?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. sculptor Valued Senior Member

see Ionesco's 'Rhinoceros'

Perhaps, in attempting to become and/or form a team with run of the mill republicans, Trumps transition has already begun.
    It would seem unlikely that he is a modern day Bérenger.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Well, we've gone from Donald Trump as a phantom candidate to the GOP as the Party of Trump↗.

Bearing in mind that above all identifying Republicans follow the cosmic scoreboard, I don't think we'll hear much RINO talk as long as President Trump seems to be leading the Party to victory and the nation toward proving the thesis that government cannot and does not work.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I agree. The question is when does the appearance wear off? Whenever, Trump's shininess begins to dull, that's when Trump becomes a RINO. It happened to Baby Bush and his crowd. I think it's just a matter of time before it happens to Trump.

Trump's got himself in a box. Republicans have put themselves in a box. Their ideology just isn't consistent with the promises they have made, and Trump has made many promises. He has promised a 12 trillion dollar tax cut (mostly for the wealthy), a trillion dollars of infrastructure spending, a trillion dollars of additional defense spending, and to eliminate the nearly 20 trillion dollars in debt within his first term, and to make healthcare cheaper and better. The Republican base bought it.

The Baby Bush administration knew their promises were bullshit from the beginning. I’m not sure Trump does. As difficult to believe as this maybe, Republicans have found a POTUS more stupid than Baby Bush! I didn’t think that was possible.

8. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

Trump may enjoy the title of RINO.
    Big, aggressive, thick hide ready to charge a percieved threat with a large horn sticking out of his head but he may fail to consider the beast is somewhat short sighted.
    Alex

9. mathman Valued Senior Member

Based on what is going on in the Republican party today, it looks like Trump's ideas(?) define the Republican ideology. Republicans who disagree with Trump are now RINO.

10. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

I was trying to set up for a spelling joke but seeing no one pulled me up the moment has passed.
    Sorry its now doubt to serious to joke about.
    Alex

11. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

So...pebcak?

12. Xelasnave.1947 Valued Senior Member

When I first looked I read rhino and was attempting to suggest trump would read it similar to fit his image of himself...and alter the spelling like is his method to deal with facts to have his preferred outcome.

I got carried away.
    I fell in a hole and now just keep digging.

Alex

13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

OK
    Me too
    I had thought "rino" a spelling mistake.
    so, reading yours, I googled rino
    "Republican In Name Only"
    Thanks for that!

OK
    OOPS

14. iceaura Valued Senior Member

So "liberals" have been getting lectured on Republican politics in the US by people who have forgotten (not ever met, seen, known, is not credible) what "RINO" stands for.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_In_Name_Only
    A major meme of Republican politics and media discussion,

a headline term and major media talking point in the 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012, and 2016 Republican primaries

simply doesn't exist, isn't present in awareness, when it's not needed.
    http://www.conservapedia.com/RINO
    https://spectator.org/36283_rino-romney-least-electable/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2009/10/gopwars-newt-gingrich-rino-in-chief/29152/
    http://politistick.com/rino-john-ka...t-of-the-cnbc-moderators-you-wont-believe-it/

The amnesia involved in the takeover of a democracy by fascism is truly striking. Of course it's necessary for the rewriting of history into the necessary myth - but it's so damn weird.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017