When and how bad?

Discussion in 'Earth Science' started by Dinner, Apr 9, 2013.

1. wellwisher Banned Banned

In my last post, I mentioned the large pool of mantle water, about the size of the arctic ocean, that was found under Asia. It is interesting to paint a doom and gloom scenario, as to what would happen if the crust was suddenly breached and this huge volume of high pressure and high temperature water begins to enter the surface of the earth.

Water, at the conditions of the mantle, would be something between super critical water (suer dense fluid) and super ionic water (solid). Super ionic water is especially nasty, if subject to a pressure drop. It will explode like TNT, changing phase into super critical water. If a leak started, and super ionic water gets entrained and depressurized, it could blow a hole in the crust. While super critical water would dissolve the remaining crust until geysers of super heat water appears.

Picture that Arctic ocean volume of super critical mantle water, leaking up from the ocean floor. As the billions and billions of gallons of super critical water head toward the surface, it will cool and pressure drop and then phase change into high pressure steam. The ocean near the breach, would bubble up with pulses of steam/water causing the ocean to heat up quickly. This massive bubbling action would become something similar to a massive tidal wave generator. There would be one tidal wave after another, as mantle water and steam displace the ocean water. Picture blowing air into a glass of water and the water lifting and falling in a cycle fashion. As it rises and falls, huge waves flow in all directions.

As the breach grows, due to supercritical water eating away and dissolving the crust, the rate of steam flow will begin to super heat the local ocean and start to enter the atmosphere as huge plumes of steam. The steam would rise to levels where clouds are rarely found because of the heating of the atmosphere above the breach. Depending on who long this happens, it could cause the entire earth to be covered with high and low level clouds. The local result could be a tornado and hurricane generator. The super sonic updrafts of steam would become sheared by the jet stream spinning off huge storms.

The tidal wave generator could go on for weeks, generating one pulse of waves after another, while the addition of the all the new ocean volume of water will totally alter the world's coastlines. At the same time, huge storms will spread out flooding the continents and carving out new rivers; grand canyons. Since the mantle is loosing so much volume, there will be a need to replace this as the crustal plates slide; huge earthquakes, as crust begins to sink.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. exchemist Valued Senior Member

Where do you get this about a pool of water in the mantle? Do you subscribe to Flood Geology or something, or can you give us a reference to it?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

You also posted a link, in which the researcher points out that there is no large pool of water in the mantle. What there is, is a lot of formerly ocean bottom rock that has water molecules incorporated into it.

It's rock, not "pools" of water.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wellwisher Banned Banned

Here is a more current link. They used seismic waves with the speed of the waves an indication of the composition. Water tends to slow the waves relative to rock, which was what was observed. The link has a seismic profile.

http://phys.org/news90171847.html

Many years ago I did research growing crystals. Luckily for us, the direction of water will actually be in the direction of higher temperature and higher pressure. It will go in the direction of surface to the mantle. This can be demonstrated with basic hydrothermal experiments. At higher temperature and pressure, super critical water becomes an aggressive solvent for rocks, with solubility increasing as temperature and pressure increases. They found water penetrated into minerals like super critical water going into a sponge.

In the closed apparatus below, the bottom is hotter. The hotter water will dissolve material (nutrient) and through convection, redeposit the minerals at the seeds at the cooler top (lower solubility). The water will eat downward (toward the heat) and seal above itself (where it is cooler). The result would be pockets of water, sealed in rock, dissolving downward.

However, there is also plate tectonics and subversion of material which can alter the water pocket system. If we cracked the hydrothermal apparatus, so there is a pressure drop, the water will change direction toward lower pressure; to the surface. Then we get the doom gloom scenario. In another link, scientists found a huge scar on the Atlantic ocean floor where the crust was missing and the mantle was exposed (has cooled). I would guess this was a previous; blast/erosion.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2007-03/cu-mot030107.php

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Dinner Registered Member

It sounds almost like your are emphasizing some doomsday prediction, something perhaps similar to that of predictions found in those who predicted death and destruction in 2012.

I am not sure how and when this could happen and for the record I would hope it has no chance of happening, but I guess time will tell, but I guess one can hope that the time isn't soon.