When a Characters just too Repulsive!

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by ScaryMonster, Aug 10, 2010.

1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I’ve recently been writing a chapter about a very unsympathetic character, its strange how some protagonists can come alive on the page, I really don’t like this character I’ve created but I think it’s one of the strongest chapters I’ve done thus far.

The problem is that it blocked me for a while, not that I didn’t know where my story line was going only that after writing a few pages involving manipulation, violence sadism and how can I say it “Evil” I needed to get my mind out of all this dark imagery I had to dredge out of my imagination because it was just too depressing.

I’ve written a small outline at the end of this chapter saying simply what happens and I’ve moved on to the next chapter which is not as dark, and after an abortive start the words have started flowing again.
    I’ve not tried to go back and finish this chapter yet but I’ve reread it a few times and I do really like it because it’s like a kick in the guts. But it’s really, really! Hard channeling into words the mind of this repulsive evil character.

ScaryMonster.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. InTheFlesh77 Set the controls... Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, interesting...will get to read this?.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I'm experimenting a bit with this, I started off intending to make this a parody about cults and UFO's.

But it's led to themes about extinction, nano technology, virtual reality, human robot sexuality, in this case its a normal size woman and a robot the size of optimus prime.
    And you learn why "The Greys" abduct humans (no not to breed alien human hybrids).
    And why the Earth in unique in the universe.
    I think you'll either love or hate this story which is probably a good thing.

Scarymonster.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I wouldn't worry about it. Dean Koontz has become a multimillionaire by creating characters so vile that we can't wait to see them taken down. I can't read his books as fast as he writes them because I need a longer break from those evil dudes!

8. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

I felt like that about some of the the characters in one of Clive Barkers books
    "The Damnation Game" which was the first full length novel he wrote after the "Books of Blood"
    One called the "The Last of the Razor Eaters" or Razor Eater was particularly revolting.