What's your scifi?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Pollux V, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

What scifi books are you reading as of now, eh? A few weeks ago I finished the Foundation Trilogy, which I heartily reccomend. I read Neuromancer off and on. Maybe I'll get back to it. I also got a book of H.P Lovecraft short stories, but I lost it. I seriously need to find it again. It was really, really, really, really awesome. I guess you could count 1984 as a scifi, but I left it at school

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

That totally sucked. 1984 is a very cool book.

Y tu?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Im reading the Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Three books, Im only done with the first one. Let me quote the back of the book:

"R.A. Salvatore begins the Drizzt Do'Urden tales in this fantastic book, "Homeland". Barely rescued as a baby from certain death, Drizzt is raised amongst the vile world of the dark elves. But Drizzt has morals and honor, unheard of and illegal in the drow society. Can he survive in a world as evil as Menzoberranzan? "

Its very interesting. Id like to note that Farscape books are available, but they arent that good. You can obviously tell that the author of the farscape books doesnt watch the show.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Right now, I'm reading <i>The Reality Disfunction</i> by Peter F. Hamilton. Anybody read that series?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NenarTronian Teenaged Transhumanist Registered Senior Member

I believe a friend of mine read it.. he said it was great, heavy on physics and such.

8. shadows technocrat:Teach me Registered Senior Member

I just got done reading 1945 with all the germain super weapons. Im thinking about reading the latest left behind book. Also it got like 20 scifi books from like orson scott card on my hard drive.

9. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

shadows:

OSC rocks! Have you read Hart's Hope? The Alvin the Maker series? That Earth series? Pastwatch: The Redemption of Christopher Columbus? Lost Boys? Homebody? Songmaster? Ender's series? (obviously)

!

What'd you think of Shadow Puppets? I didn't like it that much, I thought all the drama about "saving Bean's babies" was distracting. But I liked how at the end, Suriyawong was the mastermind behind it, eh?

Oh, here's a great link on the movies that are to be made from OSC's books! http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/index.html<hr>

I'm trying to read more William Gibson ("Mona Lisa Overdrive" and "Count Zero"), but I have some Isaac Asimov that's pulling me away, and a non-fiction book by a website called Suck, about mass media and its affects, etc.

Need to read Wheel of Time, or whatever those are called. And the one recommended by Asguard, "Belgarath the Sorcerer"??

10. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

read it a few times..keep reading...shame about the sex...

11. oldie Registered Senior Member

I have just started rereading Th Lensman series by Doc Smith.

12. Nivao Ghost of Mirkwood Registered Senior Member

Let's see, I just finished Dune. And I found it totally AWESOME. It almost doesn't seem Scifi, more political. I STILL need to see the movie. And I'm talking about the original 1984 version, not that lame thing Scifi did. It was truly pathetic, and had the worst casting. At least, that's my opinion.

Right now I'm trying to get into a book called "A Fire Upon the Deep." Very... interesting. I still don't quite understand the anatomy of the 'wolves.' Well, they're wolf-like. They keep referring to each other being doubles, singles, sixsomes... I don't know if they mean they have six heads, or six wolves glued together, or maybe it's just a rank, but I'm totally lost in it.

I also want to read the Mars series. You know, Red Mars, Blue Mars, and Green Mars. Of course, that SHOULDN'T be Scifi, we should be terraforming (spelt wrong, of course) Mars NOW.

Innyhoo, I need to get around to reading those once I'm finished with "A Fire Upon the Deep" You know I'm just gonna call that AFUTD. Yeah, that works.

Namarie

~Nivao
    Ghost of Mirkwood

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

I'm in the middle of reading the most amazing Sci-Fi war novel ever. It's part of the Gaunt's Ghost series about an Imperial Guard division that is the soul surviving one of it's planet after the forces of Choas over ran and destroyed it. They quickly gain themselves a reputation as a skilled fighting force, one to rival the Space Marines.

The novel in question at the moment is 'First and Only' because the Ghost's are the first division created and the only one to survive.
    Over novels available are 'Ghostmaker' and 'Necropolis'

I'll put a link somewhere and I'm in the middle of typing up the very first chapter of the mind blowing 'First and Only' so I may post it up here for your reading enjoment

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Dude, I think I read that book. Is it the one where they fight with chainsaws, and, like, this guy turns into an alien, or something? It was frickin cool. I wanna chainsaaaah!

People will disagree about this until the seas and mountains fall, it seems. I found the 1984 version to be appaling, and also realized, after watching it for ten minutes, that if it had stopped showing the same eight effects shots over and over again that it might be half an hour long instead of four accursed hours. The miniseries was amazing. Really, really, really amazing. All I can say is that you should see it again, if you can. Maybe you'll change your mind. Because, in all honesty, the guy who played Paul was an incredible actor, as was Jessica, and Chani, and Gurney, and Stilgar, and Duncan, and Kynes, and Vladimir, and Feyd, and Rabban, and Shaddam, and Irulan...gahh...what a movie...if it wasn't so long I'd watch it again...

15. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

There are many novels from this universe, too many for me to count. So many stories, I can't even remember half of them.

I am 7 pages (on Word) in and I shall put it up here soon as an attachment in both Word and Wordpad or anything else anyone requests. Should be up sometime tonight or tomorrow

16. valentino Registered Senior Member

Gob, I just finished a sci-fi short story collection called Beaker's Dozen (or something like that) it was excellent.

17. Alien Mastermind Registered Senior Member

There is one novel I really enjoyed. I believe it is called Higher Education, by Jerry Pournelle and Charles Sheffield. REALLY awesome novel. I love it because it isn't that far into the future, and mostly everything is almost possible to make today.

Maybe omeone read it?

18. blankc Your superior Registered Senior Member

Heh, that's funny. The only Sheffield book I read took place past the end of time, and I liked it because of that.

19. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Mindstar Rising.

A good read, set in the near future. Against a background of global warming and its consequences to the average joe, policital upheaval, ex-military tech, and corporate intrigue.

20. Cowboy My Aim Is True Valued Senior Member

My sci-fi of choice is Robert Heinlein, though I must acknowledge the greatness of Robert Wilson and Robert Shea's The Illuminatus! Trilogy, which is really more of a mish-mash of science fiction, metaphysics and conspiracy theories than just plain science fiction.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  21. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Just got done with the second book of the Motie series by niven. GO CRAZY EDDIE!!!

22. foadi Registered Senior Member

Starfarers - Poul Anderson

23. Aequo Registered Member

Rama II by Arthur C. Clarke and some other guy, Gentry Lee or something like that.