What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Oxygen, Sep 7, 2000.

1. AI

Just saw AI, it's a mix of 'Blade Runner' and 'Bicentennial Man'. Very interesting narration, from the point of view of a fairy tale for future AI beings. Just see it!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

My favorite sci fi movies:

1. Star Trek: Generations
    Why: The movie was based on everything that Star Trek stands for, exploring the unknown mixed in with some action and comedy. It's better than the other movies because it isn't based on action and probably wasnt meant to be a blockbuster. It had some of the best acting in any scifi movie I've ever seen, from an average joe's standpoint or from that bastard critic Gene Shalot. Soran, Pickard, Kirk, La Forge, and Data provide a wonderful movie experience. I love this movie and have watched it many times.
    Plus the music was good.
    2. Sci Fi Channel miniseries: Frank Herbert's Dune
    Why: Couldn't stay awake during the original movie, excellent effects, excellent acting, four hours long, covers the entire book and leaves nothing out, excellent directing, excellent writing, overall a great movie. Plus I hear they're making Children of Dune, they're skipping Messiah because that book was nothing but boring talk.
    3.Contact
    Why: Just perfect all around, academy award quality movie. Carl Sagan's a sheer genius.
    4. The Empire Strikes Back (special edition)
    Why: Not directed by George Lucas, supreme effects, excellent acting especially by Solo (can't remember his real name for some reason), rock-solid plot, contains everything required to make a good movie.
    5. Princess Mononoke
    Why: In my opinion most anime sucks, it all has bad writing, bad voice acting, and horrible animation. Monoke is the exact opposite.
    Favorite Sci-Fi series:
    1. Farscape
    Why: It's pure science Fiction with excellent acting (especially by Claudia Black), top-notch effects and a very original idea with a solid plot. Very well excecuted.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. generalhurrss Registered Senior Member

Has no one ever seen or heard of the Alien saga. This has got to be one of the best drawn out movies ever. When you think it can not go on another movie appears. Alien had all the tension you could ask for. Aliens had all the action you could ask. Alien III had a mixture of tenion and action and then we get the dreaded what nutty scientist dream of with all the action. The Alien saga needs a mention so watch the movies.
    Sreamers was a good movie too.
    And we all know that the Star Wars saga will always remain at the top of the list.
    The best series has got to be Farscape, there are too many Star Trek spin offs and rip offs.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Badfish Registered Member

Whew, tough choices. As a child, Creature from the Black Lagoon. I was so scared for her I ran around the living room. The Exorcist One, of course, and who could leave out The Shining with Jack. Silence of the Lambs was great, too. Too hard to pick just one.

8. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Silence of the Lambs wasn't scifi? Was it?

9. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

Matrix, Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back, and Star Trek First Contact. I just can't choose one. They each have their strengths.

A close one would also be the brilliant movie that Shrike mentioned before: Contact. It was a true representation of this genre. Unlike my other choices it wasn't about action or wierd alien special effects. In the purest sense it was a Science Fiction movie. The greatest part was that it wasbelievable. It's too bad Sagan wasn't around to see it happen.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2001
  10. Deadwood Registered Senior Member

No. 1: Star Wars
    High Commendation in no particular order: Star Trek(Movies and series'), Fifth Element, Sixth Day, Star Ship Troopers(pure entertainment), Terminator 1 & 2, Total Recall, Predator and a lot I seriously can not think of or forget the name of.

would like to see: Space Odysey 2001, Aldous Huxleys Brave New World made into a movie but it may ruin what the book set out even though it doesn't really have a story line that I could pick out per se. But it is a recommended read.

11. kmguru Staff Member

Deadwood, go rent the movie Space Odysey 2001. You will enjoy the classic movie. Even the special effects can stand the time and advancement in technology.

12. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

I can't believe no one has said Ghost Busters yet!?!? What an original concept! But if we were going on good action then it would be StarTrek First Contact, if we were going on plot it would be Starwars, if we were going on sex then it would be buffy the vampire slayer the movie. If we were going on stupidity it would be Episode 1.

13. Magenta Nihil est incertius volgo Registered Senior Member

Id definitely agree with

2001: A Space Odyssey and the Empire Strikes Back

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Pollux V Ra Bless America Registered Senior Member

Contact may be the best scifi movie of all time, it was the only one everyone, not just scifi fanatics, liked or loved. A very cool movie and I think it was nominated for some emmies or oscars or something. Solid plot, solid acting, solid writing, perfection.

15. Patman just one of the lost Registered Senior Member

Here it goes (No particular order)

Star Wars, Alien I,II, ST The Wrath of Khan, 2001, Logan's run, Blade runner, Mad Max, Road Warrior, All classics.

Starship Troopers, ID4, Galaxy Quest, Apollo 13, Pitch Black, Red Planet, Highlander. cool flicks!

Vampire hunter D, Outland, Ghost in the shell. cartoons at there best.

Space above and beyond, Battlestar Galactica, Dark Skies, X files. Good series

The Exorcist, Evil Dead series, Pumpkinhead, Dawn of the dead, Nightbreed, The Prophecy, Warlock. Someone touched on horror

16. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

What about the Predator film? People forget about the entire nasty notion of some alien hunting humans in the jungle

SuperNova is another film that I've watched and vaguely remember. The ones that made impact....

Wargames.... this film is not just a classic but it has everything a film should have in it (well a few

);
    An AI hell bent on annihilation of the enemy that sleeps.
    A hacker that "Wardials" number after number on his phreaked phone looking for a games developer.
    A bunch of federal agents chasing the hacker, and the hacker being dragged into NORAD.

Okay you could then move to such films as;
    Hackers okay it's not a realistic depiction of the covert world of the Social and sleep deprived, but it's the film that started off the whole I-Worm genre. It's still worth a watch, but rememeber it's a bit like one of those cheesy Disney movies for kids.

Johnny Mnemonic This film was recreated from William Gibsons short story that can be found in the compilation of Burning Chrome. The original story was far different.
    Some actually complain about the film.. I just think that the one quote that made it worth while was "ALL I WANT IS ROOM SERVICE!".

I noticed Patman put Ghost in the Shell I liked that Manga film enough to think that it should be mentioned again. The whole world has stepped up it's technological evolutionary chain, People have filled the blackmarket with technological gizmo's that can do alsorts of wonderous and illegal things.

Hackers are plentiful and Artificial intelligences are dawning like a new sun. Within a future cityscape, New government sections have been created to deal with the new state of cybernetic terrorism or "Ghost hacking".

The poor populous is wreaked with people being turned into mindless slaves of someone that calls himself the "puppet master". These people have all their memories wiped and their identity replaced with a pseudo-one, to which they do tasks set by the puppet master.

this results in Section 9 sending one of their Cyborg operatives and cybernetically enhanced companions into dealing with this situation. Perhaps this film could teach you a whole new respect for the Manga genre if you never watched a manga film previously.

Akira... Well it's another Manga epic, one that will confound people for eons.

Screamers A war one a different planet continues over the radioactives that the planet provides, within the continued war, one side builds a purely automated factory to create robots that hunt and destroy the enemy.
    As you can tell by the setting... those robots, start to go wrong, as through their automation at the factory, the system starts to modify how and WHO they fight.

Braindead, An Australian movie that is pretty weird... worth watching though.. (classed as spoof/comedy/horror)

Frequency I liked the film and it fits in my favourite genre.

There are other timedisplacement and Cyberpunk genre films that I can't remember the names of, But I think the list could be endless (And I don't get mpaid to be a movie critic

)

17. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

Contact was EXCELLENT.

It was so deep.

I´m a man (been for 26 days

) and I usually try not to feel anything towards the movies since they are fake after all... but in the end of Contact... I held my tears

Blade Runner was also great, it had that... something. It took it all so slowly, didn´t hurry up... it was like anti-demolition man

. The atmosphere in Blade Runner was something, in which the great majority of movies don´t reach.

Starship Troopers was just EXCELLENT as well, because it also had something which majority of movies lakc: credibility
    Perhaps it was the raw violence or the propaganda shows

but it seemed something that could be coming

, altough the fact that how did they end up in such dictatorship society was wery shortly told, only that veterans took control, but that´s all... no other comments on how the humanity was united etc.
    Also what impressed me, was that, even though they were in future, they still used wery samekind of clothes that we use today, someone might have thought that that looked stupid, I just think that it showed counrage for not making them wearing some unrealistic rags (ofcourse the clothes didn´t show wery much, since theyr were in uniforms most of the time).

Also Starship Troopers was one of those rare movies in which there was specism. The humanity ofcourse kept itself as a supreme race of the galaxy. Also as Rico kept the burrial service he talked how "citizens have the courage to take the surivival of human race to theyr own personal responsibility". The Federation clearly tried to brainswash the youth, since they were the most vulnerable.

Also what impressed me, as I already said, in Starship Troopers (which shows in most of Paul Verhoeven´s movies) was the raw violence which made the movie feel atleast a bit realistic (was it? I don´t know, but it did make the illusion of realism atleast). It really looked like as if humanity was really struggling, as people were really dying, a lot!
    It was also kinda fascinating thing, that in the end, did the "bugs" try to wipe us out or only protect themselves? The Federation brainwashed ruthlessly the population to join the army or if brainwashing is too strong word... atleast pressured them to join the army. I think that every civilians self-respect had a blow when watching the "I´m doing my part, are you?" propaganda commercials. And ofcourse the Citizenship was a big carrot to tempt people to join in to the "Fereral Service" (aka cannon fodder). Clearly the Federation was quite an agressive government.

Neither one of the sides was a saint, but which one had uglier motives?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2001
  18. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

So many films...

I think the younger you were when you first saw them, then the larger the impact. "The thing" scared me stiff at age 12, so I will never forget that one. A more beautiful film that has left traces is "The Abyss".
    And of course, I fell in love with Luke when Star Wars came, I can´t deny that. But I don´t think I can name one in particular as the BEST because they are all so different and good in their own ways.

Btw, I once caught my grandfather watching the Blob, and enjoying it. He recommended it to me even...

19. Reign_of_Error Registered Senior Member

hehe, I love the movie Hackers

great soundtrack..

How about Sneakers? that was a good film.

Have any of you seen the movie Takedown? sometimes called hackers2? great movie based on the book Takedown. I thought that was cool..

Antitrust was a good movie too, makes you think about how microsoft does business

20. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

Forgot The Thing, it was truly a scary movie indeed.

21. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

AI !

Saw it yesterday! I am stunned! Must digest it for a week or two....

Could be a "best" !

22. Rick Valued Senior Member

1:the matrix "MOST THOUGHT PROVOKING MOVIE"
    2:contact:"two things great:Jodie and storyline"

23. MuliBoy psykyogi Registered Senior Member

Bladerunner is just a solid masterpiece. Such a celebration of life.
    A.I. was great too. Didn´t expect much when seeing it, but damn, it works on many levels.

The best scifi movies and novels use the technofiction as a venue for visualizing abstract ideas in comprehensible form