What's your favorite?

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by Oxygen, Sep 7, 2000.

1. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

What is, in your opinion, the best sci-fi movie ever made? Use whatever aspect you like, whether it be box-office sales, special effects, or if it just blew you away at the theater.

I really enjoyed Independence Day. It had plenty of action and we got to blow up a bunch of really nasty bugs. Star Wars was great, but Independence Day had the whole theater laughing and cheering.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. dexter ROOT Registered Senior Member

ya, independence day was rad, but star wars is pretty damn kool.... imean, you jsut cant beat it. the one thing i didnt liek about independence day, was how they never got to the whole ground invasion, though the piloting was pretyty kick ass, i wouldve liked to see some humans get there heads blown off by the et's..... and i wouldve also lieksd someone info on the whole alien thing, liek more of there past.....

hmmm.... but i also liked star ship troopers, indeed, a very kick ass movie once again..... and titan ae was pretty kool.....

and then...... BACK TO THE FUTURE!!!!!! such a bad ass trilogy!

------------------
    when christianity ruled the world, it was called the dark ages!
    THANK GOD FOR ATHEISM!

voice mail: 1-800-222-6000
    pin#- 2442235

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. xtra Registered Member

Have to give credit where credit is due and Star Wars certainly was something for its time...not only from an effects standpoint but also the influence it had on a generation.
    However, gotta admit I enjoy the Alien (Sig.Weaver) movies. Especially the last one---the underwater alien scene was great, very creative.

Back to the Future Trilogy????????

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Probably Star Wars or Empire, but since there's a few votes for those down already, I wanted to violate the purity of the sci-fi notion and throw in Dark Crystal, simply because there will never, ever, be another film quite like it, even if Farscape goes silver-screen.

Honorable mentions include:

* ST2: Wrath of Khan
    * Battlestar Galactica (original series premiere)
    * This Island Earth (subject film of the MST 3K cinematic venture; Star Wars borrowed some of its sense of scale from TIE).
    * Rocky Horror Picture Show (I might remind all that it is this film which holds the record for theatre-time. In 23 years, there has never been a day in which "the Rock" hasn't played in a movie theatre.

Good anime ... my own list is short:

* Ghost in the Shell
    * Star Blazers (all of it)
    * Battle Angel

thanx,
    Tiassa

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

------------------
    Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths.--Denis Diderot

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I stand utterly, completely, and thoroughly corrected.

The greatest science-fiction movie ever made, is:

* 2001: A Space Odyssey

How could I possibly have let that slip?

Oh, yeah, greedy about Dark Crystal.

thanx,
    Tiassa

------------------
    Whether God exists or does not exist, He has come to rank among the most sublime and useless truths.--Denis Diderot

9. Rambler Senior Member Registered Senior Member

I second the vote for dark crystal, and Battle Star Galactica. Wow its been a mighty long time since I've thought about those 2.

As my number 1 vote: Star Wars (trilogy)...hands down best Sci-Fi Trilogy no question. The story, the effects, the characters...it had it all.

2nd: The Matrix--AWESOME MOVIE
    3rd: Fifth Element-- ALSO AWESOME MOVIE
    4th: Back to the future (trilogy, don't have this one)
    5th: Terminator 1 & 2 (also don't have)
    nth (tie, don't know what to rate them but I do like 'em): ID4 and MIB

NOT sci fi but worth a mention: Indiana Jones (trilogy, vey very cool)

I got most of my list on DVD and watch them religously....I'll never get sick of those movies.

Anime: my favorite sci fi would be The whole Macros seriee.

My favorite anime movie though is Ninja Scroll.

Long list but how can you choose???? so many cool movies.

10. kmguru Staff Member

I will go with

* 2001: A Space Odyssey

In Sci-Fi series, most favorites

BABYLON 5

Strong dialog and story. beats EFC, StarTrek and anything else out there hand down. Too bad, only one guy conceived it in this multi-billion dollar industry.

11. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

If I wanted to pull an older sci-fi flick, I'd have to say I really liked Damnation Alley, with George Peppard. It was a typical post-holocaust story, but the truck was totally cool.

If you ever want to see what it's like to be on the set of Mystery Science Theater 3000, though, get The Omega Man and just try to avoid making cracks.

For the Titles-You've-Never-Heard-Of category, the worst movies IMHO were Lawless Land (cookie cutter one-guy-against-the-system) and World Gone Wild (bad Mad Max rip-off).

12. Doc Brown Registered Member

Back to the Future is my favorite. Then, in no particular order, Contact, Planet of the Apes, Terminator (both of them), the Matrix, Galaxy Quest (I don't know if that counts), Star Trek 4, Star Trek: Generations, and Star Trek: First Contact.

13. harmsen Registered Member

I just remembered that the best SciFi movie i have ever seen probably is "The Andromeda Strain" i don't remember what year it was released but it was somewhere in the sixties or seventies i think.
    I read the book and was impressed, then i saw the movie and to my surprise it was as if i was reading the book all over again.

It is not an action packed adventure but more like a biohazard thriller.

The only film i know that can match this, would be 2001 a space odyssey.

I also like the Manga types of movies like AKIRA and in Anime, Ninja Scroll is awesome

Rene

Last edited: Feb 28, 2001
  14. Eisen95 Registered Member

I can't really give my favourite scifi movie becuase I can't give a definate one but I can categorise them.

Most gungho film : Starship Troopers

Best film seen at the cinema : Independence Day

Best classic sci-fi : Planet of the Apes

Most film watched : Star Wars Trilogy

Most overhyped film : Star Wars: Phatom menace

Best martial arts scifi : Matrix

Best film that has sent me to sleep : Timecop

Best scifi : Babylon 5

Best film that didn't live up to my expectations : Wild Wild West

Most original film : Matrix

Biggest video disapointment : Star Wars : Phantom menace

Biggest replay value : T1&T2

Most Disturbing film : The Day After

Best Star Trek film : ST4: Voyage home

Best B5 film : In the begining

15. I thought 'Back to the Future' was a biology( bi-ology), just kidding!! You guys are sharp, don't miss a thing.
    Anyway, how about the best eleven, no perticullar order? :
    1) Independance Day ---wish they had shown more aliens, loved their ships, quote, 'I gotta have one of these!!'
    2) Men in Black---Tabloids as the real news, people missing flyballs while watching UFO's, refugee aliens
    3) Fifth Element--- effects, future world, battle between good & evil
    4) Star Wars series (oops thats 4!) effects, story
    5) Starship Troopers---future Vietnam, they never learn the lesson of the Gulf War( bomb the hell out of them first, burn everything, find their weaknesses, then invade, (seems like an idealistic, youghtfull world) for these kids, then the reality of war sets in, gave me the idea that after a certain rank, all officers should be part of a 'unified command'
    6) Galaxy Quest---too funny!!!!!!!
    7) Contact--- what would we do???
    8) Star Trek: First Contact-- just the idea that Vulcans would be our 'first contact' & the drunk they meet there
    9) Star Trek: Insurrection--ideas, how do we treat those that are helpless to defend themselves?
    10) Matrix----effects, story, way cool
    11) Blade Runner--- dreary future LA, mystery, murder & an android vision quest?

16. Grahf Registered Member

Dune!!!!!

Frank Herbert's Dune was the best scifi movie of all time. Partially due to the directing genious of David Lynch but also due to the superb material being worked with. Most arguments against this movie are that it denies much of the "book's experience" but it would be impossible to encapulate such a novel into a film any less than 5 hours long. In condensing such a master piece alone Lynch must be given credit!

17. Lexx Senior Member Registered Member

Movies

Off the top of my head....
    Best movie: 2001
    Runners up: Silent Running; The Terminator; The Blob

Best Sci-Fi series: The invaders; UFO; Lexx (of course I'm biased!)

18. Malaclypse Perturber Registered Senior Member

19. rich68 Registered Senior Member

movies

bladerunner,is tops,not only was the special effects good,but the music sound track is what made it ,and what a cast of actors,a film made before its time,who knows the story could become a reality one day.

20. Corp.Hudson Registered Senior Member

How can you all be so stupid?

Night Of The Living Dead ('68) has got to be the best one...although it may not technically be a sci-fi film, I think it should be included.

As far as strictly sci-fi movies go, Aliens wins hands down.

21. DeRez Registered Member

Movies---

Action: Matrix, Pitch Black, Starship troopers
    Cyber: Tron
    Space: 2001, Red Planet
    Childrens: Dark Crystal, the Black Hole
    Classic: War of the worlds, The day the earth stood still
    Horror: Killer Clowns from Outer Space, Hardware

TV---

SeaQuest, Battlestar Galactica, Viper, Mantis, Super Force, Knight Rider

22. %BlueSoulRobot% Copyright! Copyright!! Registered Senior Member

In my opinion, I really liked the book "The Abyss", which was based on a movie directed by James Cameron. Anyways, the book was a blast, so I figure the movie should be pretty good too. Although I think my choice will change by next year or so, cause according to my sources, there is going to be a new movie based on the book "Ender's Game", written by Orson Scott Card, who is one of my favourite writers of all time, up there with Isaac Asimov and Guy Gavriel Kay.

As for fans of Star Wars, rock on, I totally feel what you feel.

(except for Phantom Menace, which I feel wasn't totally all that it was advertised to be...Jar Jar Binks? Puh-lease..)

I hear there's going to be a movie on one of J.R.R. Tolkien's books, so I was just wondering whether that counts as strait-up sci-fi or fantasy?

Final Fantasy (the movie) is going to be awesome!

23. thecurly1 Registered Senior Member

2001 A Space Odyssey

The plot to a new sci-fi movie AI has to do with humans on the brink of being overthrown by computers. A microcosmic of this was displayed between HAL 9000 and Dave. It went farther than being an action movie with a sci-fi theme. This lacked unnecessary violence, got its point across and was fairly realistic, though sadly the time table for space exploration was way off. The mysterious black monoliths on Earth, the Moon, and Jupiter were great signs for the advances in human evolution. There was no dialogue for the first 15 minutes, and last 15 minutes of the movie which made the images so much more powerful. This movie was intriguing, especially the end where Dave Borman is reborn. If you've never seen this movie rent it. For any sci-fi fan this movie will fulfill you, its with stood 33 years of time and new advances in technology. THIS IS THE BEST SCI-FI MOVIE EVER.

"I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I can think any conscious entity can ever hope to do." -- HAL 9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey