What's wrong with women?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by clusteringflux, Sep 1, 2008.

1. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

No it isn't. Why is this idea so hard to understand? Just because you personally don't like it, does not mean someone can only be doing it to piss you off.

I've dressed goth style since discovering metal aged 13. I wasn't hanging out with other metal heads at the time. I just liked that style, and since I'd recently gone through a "Matrix" phase, and liked wearing black since childhood, it came naturally.

And yes, there's certain things that are important and about which parents have to make kids' choices for them. How you dress is not one of them.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

it's loopy. we are products and influences on the media.

I doubt we will go all out nude. Teasing is more attractive than a whoring in my opinion

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

you don't "just like the style" without a cause.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I like it because I love wearing black, and I've loved wearing synthetic leather ever since I saw the Matrix trilogy. Cause enough for you?

8. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

Wow that's kind of harsh. What's so bad about wearing black clothes? So you don't let your kids dress themselves? My brother only wears black and blue because those are the only colors he wants to be seen it. My mom hates it, but she doesn't force him to wear other colored clothes just because it's her preference. Since his wearing dark colors isn't hazardous to his life I don't think that should really be a parent's choice. It your kids life and they should be able to live it the way they want to, even if it isn't what you envisioned. My mom thought I was/ am weird because I refused to wear sandals, but she never forced me to wear them even though she thought I was a freak for wearing shoes to the pool or the beach.

9. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I have no idea what you are talking about. :shrug:
    I said its ugly. I never said it pissed me off and its wrong and they are dumb, etc.

10. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

never said it was bad or wrong. I said its ugly. And goth is so much more than simply black clothes. Otherwise there are a hell of a lot of elderly fat goth women out there.

11. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I don't particularly care for it either, but it doesn't bother me. If my kid wanted to be goth I wouldn't mind. But its probably a generational thing. Twenty or thirty years from now whatever the youth population is doing then will probably drive me crazy and I'll really hate it when my kid starts dressing or acting a certain way because its the new fad. My parents hate the way people my age dress, but when they think about it they laugh because they remember how much their parents hated their crazy clothes from the 80s. And my grandmother talks about how much adults hated what the teenagers were wearing in the 50s. Its appears to be a never ending cycle.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

The only time I ever get on my kids about their clothing is if its dirty or weather inappropriate.

13. CutsieMarie89 Zen Registered Senior Member

I probably would too if I had kids that had on dirty clothes. However with the weather being inappropriate I wouldn't have much room to talk. One time it was like 116 degrees in Fresno and I wore jeans and a hat.

14. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Fair nuff then...

15. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

After posting I usually skim the thread (to see if anyone has replied to my comment in a way that needs a response). Someone help an old guy, nearly two decades in Brazil now, who never went to many movies by choice*, etc. out:

What is "goth"? Can only clothes be "goth"? Does "goth" imply Black? If so is there any racial overtones? (as in "black is beautiful.")

In fair trade, by request, I will tell what "the cat's meow" or "you dingle berry" means or something else from my era means.
    -----------------------
    *I liked to read things we called "books" instead.

As It turned out, that was a wise choice. Time has filtered out all the trash I might have paid good money to be tortured by. All the old movies worth seeing are now free and new to me on TV.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  16. Betrayer0fHope MY COHERENCE! IT'S GOING AWAYY Registered Senior Member

Way to not stereotype. Way to be tolerant of others. Way to be correct in your assumption that you can judge the morality of others and their habits. Great job, Orleander. :bravo:

17. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

She didn't say that they're not moral. She said it's not visually apealing TO HER.
    Opinion. It's the same as liking a different car to look at on the street. Different taste is not a crime. You're undermining your own arguement.

BTW, while you're here, can you tell me what's wrong with women, as thatt's the issue of the OP

18. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Excellent phrase there!

19. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

idiot.

Cluster, thanks for explaining it to him.

20. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

Truthfully, it's not enough for me, if you care to expand. I'm not nagging and teasing at you, I just personally wouldn't be satisfied with such a simple answer. I prefer tireless questioning.

21. Search & Destroy Take one bite at a time Moderator

I think the consensus is that goths are weird, socially awkward misfits. They are usually depressed, and tend towards self-persecution. They wear black and lots of dark makeup and long hair to cover their face, piercings, shiny metal on black leather trenchcoats. They have many problems and stir over them rather than look for resolve. They like dark things, bats, Satan, Marilyn Manson, suicide, shame, crying, loneliness, and sleepy hollow.

Mostly they come as young teenagers, without much individuality, clinging to this social group as almost a last resort. I don't think there are many 'goth adults' as most should grow out of it.

I believe this is completely ignorant and far from the truth, and seldom does anyone labeled 'goth kid' actually fit these characteristics . But that is the picture in my mind of 'goth kid.'

22. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

If you are a true individual, you can't be labeled. If you are goth then you are like all the others. They all shop at Hot Topic in the MALL. The mall!

There was a girl at my sons school who made her own clothes by redoing Goodwill clothing. She cut/coloured her own hair. She mixed/matched her own jewelry. She had goth parts, punk parts, retro 40's parts, but she looked like no one I had ever seen before. She was glorious. A true individual.
    Then she moved and I don't get to see her new ideas anymore.

23. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Thanks to you & Search and Destroy, I am getting some idea as to what "goth" is, but still confused. You seem to be implying that the goths could be a majority of some group of young people, but then S&D's definition could hardly call them "weird."

They seem, in any case to be sort of what I might call "geeks" except lacking any notable computer skills and they are much more concerned with their clothing.
    I am also getting the idea that your typical goth is female,* but certainly male goths do exist. Is a male goth normally gay?

S&D thinks of goths as typically depresssed, but the girl you described was clearly not. - She was creative and stimulated/ stimulating.

Anyone want to help resolve the meaning of "goth" (or perhaps it is evolving still?)
    Until "goth" has some reasonably commonly accepted meaning it would seem a useless** term, but that is just MHO.
    ----------------
    *Because this thread is about females and because goths are very interested in their clothes.

**Except for Lewis Carol types, as in: "The Goths did jyral and gymbel... etc.

PS Please excuse this habit of mine. It is typical*** of professors. We like precise terms. Without them others can not tell what your are talking about.

***Not uiversally true as Lewis Carol was a professor of Mathematics and actually made some slight advances in the field, but I forget what they were.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008