What's With Russia?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by joepistole, Nov 11, 2014.

1. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

to a certain extant but a lot of its like italy's power in WW2 smoke and mirrors. Russia has a long history of autocrats in power. and has a rather unnerving tendency toward leaders with meglomaniac tendecies. not to mention the fact corruption runs deep in russia. Muscovy gained its independence and power do to shady money keeping as a mongol client state. I think you overstate the effects of western influence on Russia.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Russia/Putin is sending a fleet, two aged war ships and two support ships, a supply ship and a tug, to Australia to intimidate Australians. I guess they might need the tug in the event one of the ships in the "fleet" breaks down. Somehow I don't think Australians are going to feel very threatened by Putin's move. It's going to take more than a cruiser and a destroyer to threaten Australia. It's kind of reminiscent of Iraq sending one war ship and an supply ship to American waters.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I wonder if they feel like getting rid of the guns was a good move? They sure do feel safer than before...well...I mean as long as nobody attacks. Can you imagine the regret of losing the guns when there are enemy soldiers on your street?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

8. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Would probably regret it even more if they were stupid enough to think an AR-15 will stop a tank.

9. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

10. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I am not sure of the relevance to the current discussion trend of this topic but any way:

Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbot in recent discussion with Putin:

"The Prime Minister told Mr Putin that Australia was in possession of information suggesting that MH17 was destroyed by a missile from a launcher that had come out of Russia, was fired from inside eastern Ukraine and then returned to Russia."
    ***src: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-11-11/abbott-and-putin-meet-to-discuss-mh17-at-apec-summit/5883592

Essentially accusing the Russians of direct and deliberate involvement in the shooting down of MH17. Requesting Russia provide compensation and crime scene assistance.
    Further suggesting that he believed that the Russian separatist movement was not directly involved.

Apparently Putin countered by challenging Abbot to provide evidence to support his accusation. To which Abbot could not do so. [I presume this is because it would compromise the clandestine nature of the source]
    When Abbot is asked of Putins response to the meeting:
    Diplomatically Abbot states "He respects our position" [The frustration clearly and strongly evident in the video-graphy.]

It appears Putin is becoming an expert on blatant "So you think I am lying, well prove it" type game. Attempting and succeeding in proving the impotency of other nations.

*** The ABC (Australian Broadcaster ) has a strong reputation for solid and factual reporting.

11. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

12. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Abbot is a piece of lying garbage, his ratings speak for his true nature. The guy would say he had sex with the queen of England if it meant that Austrlia would get economical support from England. He is a pathetic sore looser, the kind the world would be much happier to get rid off. Him possessing any kind of information on who took down the plane in Eastern Ukraine, ahead of any real investigation, just shows how much his version of truth stretches.

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-abbott-is-a-liar-its-a-mathematical-truth-20140529-zrs5h.html

http://www.abbottslies.com.au/

I am really saddened that Mr. Putin had wasted his time talking with that sack of sh**.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Seriously Australia is better than this...

13. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

Ehh correction to that,

"In light of Ukraine's armies losses and further destabilized situation in Ukraine's government, Western countries that are under directives of USA big brother are told to threaten Russia with sanctions"

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

And your evidence is ?

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Whilst in shall refrain from joining your condemnation, it is worth noting that many here share similar views to what you have posted.

However be that as it may, there are at least five major incidents/events that I believe are driving Tony Abbots campaign for "justice".
    1. 8th, March 2014: The disappearance of Malaysian flight MH370
      • Australia volunteered to provide logistical and other support for the terribly botched search.
      • Again Abbot was privy I believe to information not available to the public then and even now, that may have indicated the plane flew North towards the Ukraine and not South toward the Southern Indian ocean.
      • 6 Australians lost
    2. 8th, March 2014: The annexation of the Crimea and other events in Ukraine (Donbass) immediately coinciding with the disappearance of MH370 on the 8th of March, 2014.
    3. June, 2014 : Northern Iraq offensive by ISIL starts, [unprecedented brutality]
    4. 12th June 2014: 3 Israeli Teenagers are abducted, and precipitate the ridiculous war that follows in Gaza.
    5. The subsequent loss of MH17 on the 17th, July 2014 apparently due to being shot down by a missile. 27 Australians lost.
    I believe regardless of how adequate Abbot may be as a Prime Minister, he is pursuing an agenda based on what he believes is "solid" intelligence that he and his Foreign Affairs Minister, Julia Bishop, are privy to.
    As to the actual merit and source of that intelligence, I can not comment with out excessive speculation.

However I believe the coincidence of events mentioned above would feature significantly in his subsequent actions, including and not limited to the incredible and absurd decision to send special Australian personnel to investigate the MH17 crash scene in the middle of a "violent" revolution..and his strong commitment to the ISIL Iraq situation and participation in the heightening of security levels associated with ISIL terrorist activity.

...and his incredibly absurd public statement that he will "shirt front" the Russian President.

Keeping in mind Australia is a country with only 20+million or so population, less than one major USA or Russian city. The reaction appears to be utterly disproportionate to capability.

Suffice to say there appears to be too many strange and bewildering actions, by all concerned, occurring and coinciding over that time and even today to ignore. IMO

and now the paranoid news headlines about "RED" aggressive intimidation in the form of Russian naval vessels "sitting off " in international waters.. gosh what a mess!

but as they say..."time will tell"

**hopefully I have all the dates correct...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Sorry Joe, but I would not be too quick to underestimate what the Russian "fleet" is capable of.
    It is not uncommon to have Russian Ships stand off in international waters however we are not dealing with a common situation.

The G20 meeting is about to get under way with 19 world leaders including Putin and Obama, in Brisbane, Queensland which is not that far from where the Russian fleet is at last report stationed. (Unprecedented security operations in Australia are involved re: G20)

I am anticipating that the Russian Fleet small at it is, may actually enter Australian waters as Putin arrives or shortly thereafter for the G20 summit.. Just a guess I might add..given the way everyone is behaving, to me, this is most likely as a show of "in your face" type action.

How Australia and Australians and it's allies react to this uncommon event (Russian War Ships actually entering Australian waters) if it eventuates will determine the outcome. IMO
    The tug could be useful in birthing a ship(s) independent of local authority. (again, "in you face" type action.) They may ask for permission, but then again they may not.

It is also worth noting that according to tonight's TV news, a number of potential ISIL fundamentalist cells have been identified but are unable to be legally actioned against (found probably due to increased chatter), along the Eastern seaboard. (recalling that a plot to perform a demonstration killing was foiled just recently. (Brisbane and Sydney)

My guess is that the ships are providing intelligence support and other "security for Putin" related activities and would be quite capable of reacting to any threat made against Putin.
    No matter what it will be an interesting weekend here in Australia.

17. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

What's with Russia? They fancy themselves a player on the world stage. An empire on par with the Chinese and Americans. The truth is that an accident of geography has allowed them to claim millions of miles of vastness, tundra and taiga, i.e., Siberia, which may be worth something should global warming actually kick in (and I think it will), but in reality they're just another eastern European nation, although one that has grown 'too big for its britches'. In a just world, Russia would be another insignificant Baltic republic.

Sadly, for everyone (including the hapless, drunken Russian people themselves) a megalomaniac on the order of Adolf Hitler is in now in charge, which particularly sucks just when we all thought everyone realized Hitler was completely uncool.

Putin! Jesus H. Christ!

Do you know when Angela Merkel visited his home, he deliberately had his large dog brought into the room? - knowing that the poor woman is terrified of canines! However, she knew what was up, and admirably managed to control her fear. What an asshole! You invite a lady to your house, a German Chancellor one too, and you are that rude! Does Vlad have any concept at all of how to treat a guest? So on top of everything else, Putin is guilty of horribly atrocious manners. No wonder he is stationing warships off the island continent he is ostensibly visiting as a friend and ally. You would think people would have learned not to put ass hats in charge of anything bigger than whiteboard marker refills, but no.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

18. orcot Valued Senior Member

Russians aren't baltic their mostly slavs.

In history Putins isn't the worst leader. You get the big 3 Hitler, Stalin and Mao where roughly the same (12 VS 7 VS 78 million people). And then theirs your surpises like King Leopold 2 from Belgium 8 million (stupidity is no excuse).My point being Putin doesn't come close

http://www.scaruffi.com/politics/dictat.html

19. Landau Roof Registered Senior Member

Point and points taken, friend. Slavs, Balts, whatever. I mean to insult the man. He may be the King of all the Russias and I am just little old me, but I say, bring it, Vlad! And bring yo mama with you!

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Unfortunately the man, Putin is not of the mind set that can be insulted IMO. He appears, to me, to work to a simple philosophy "The end justifies the means" - and has the potential to be utterly ruthless in achieving his objectives. IMO

21. orcot Valued Senior Member

In that you manage to insult both balts and Russians (mostly because the baltic is a region not a particulair people, the north sides the Nords the south with poland) but I digress. My point is Russia has had wors leaders then Putin and it's olichargy it's yust some form of aristocracy the thing abouth Putins Household is that he married a girl from koningsbergen (basicly a german) and his daughters live(d) in the Netherlands and Germany thats one example but most of the russian oligargy is in a similar position all people nearing their 60's with succesors that live most of their times in Europe or the US who speak Russian at best as a second language

22. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Mao doesn't belong in that list.

And any list including Putin would have to include W, wouldn't it? The same closet vibe, the same strut, the same cheering crowds of military and rubes. Putin appears more administratively competent, and seems unafraid of horses and other physical threats.

23. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

The point being, Hitler and Mao are dead. Putin is just getting started. Putin could easily outnumber Hitler, Stalin and Mao combined.