Whats up with the ps3?

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Tnerb, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tnerb Banned Banned

Its a great system, that I know.

It has far superior graphic capability (right?) to the xbox 360 and the Wii (of course). I just wonder how much better. I think that some people say that they only program with the ps3, because, ... it has some far superior capabilities to the other systems?

I want to see it on top, but the Xbox360 is comming along just great. It has a wealth of RPGs, and first person shooters. It looks like a great system, while the Wii is failing tremendously.

Not to say that the Wii is failing, exactly. It's a great system and everyone loves it.
    But as far as hardcore gamers go, the 360 and PS3 are the main ones.

My main question (I think), is what's up with the ps3.

I just got one and I'm amazed by it.
    It should infact be the main consol system that there is, not only because there is a blue ray player for a thousand dollars already comming with the system but, I think it is going to start having more better titles come out, ...
    er... what was I saying above?

So, I know that this has been done before. But I want to see an actual gaming discussion thread.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

There is about 1.5 years difference in release dates between the 360 and the PS3, hence one can't compare the number of titles just yet.

So, if you look at sheer hardware horsepower, the PS3 wins hands down. The 360 currently has an edge with it's different rendering format, but so far the parameters of the PS3 have yet to be fully explored, while it is believed developers have already pushed the 360 to it's limits.

We can take a snapshot of the current condition of the 360, wait about 1.5 years and then make a more relevant comparison of the PS3 then to the 360 of today.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Tnerb Banned Banned

I had believed it was hands down ps3 is the most powerful system..
    As far as rendering goes, however i have not got the slightest idea.

And as far as games go, I am considering the PS3 to win.

Who is with me.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Me.

8. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

me too also the 360 tends to be unreliable.

9. K.FLINT Devil's advocate :D Registered Senior Member

Ps3

The PS1 was just having software produced that really utilized the full potential that the system offered several years after it was put on the market.

The same could be said for the PS2 I think that there is still a bit that could be squeezed out of the PS2 but with all the software companies flocking to the new systems it is a moot point.

The PS3 is a powerhouse, it has potential for outstanding applications. I think we have just begun to have an idea of the great things to come.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Tnerb Banned Banned

I make such a fool out of myself that I am even fooling myself.

Either way.
    I think that the ps3 is comming out with some awesome games, but I think they're also for the 360 like the game midnight club? Man was I looking forward to that game...

I don't know if thats for the 360 also but damn if I don't know..
    I like the ps3 a lot, and I think other people do too..

Oh wtf

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

Yeah like mass effect

12. Dr Mabuse Percipient Thaumaturgist Registered Senior Member

that PS3 is really something...

what a stellar piece of hardware...

even the announcement by microsoft that every xbox360 ever sold was fundamentally defective due to a flawed design, and that they were only going to make a cosmetic fix(a heat tube) to the design... not actually make a unit free from the flaw until the new chip fab was finalized... did not stop the sales of that unit...

estimates are there are more than 12 million 360's out there... and yes there are more games no doubt...

but the 'horsepower' of the PS3 has barely begun to be tapped really... game developers have made known the programming of games to utilize the PS3 fully is cutting a new path, and difficult... and thus there has been hesitance to really 'dive in'... but those games are coming... it's going to be awesome...

i look back on the announcements a couple of years back by sony: that they were going to engineer a 3rd gen console the right way... and if that meant being last to the party, and letting competing consoles rush to market and garner game titles and publisher preference, then that's the way it would be... but when the sony console was released it would be designed well with sound engineering, and easily outperform any console on the market and into the foreseeable future...

i look back now and realize they meant that...

what a unit...

i had to ween myself from 'Resistance' online games... too many 6+ hour sessions... man that game rocks...

13. Enmos Valued Senior Member

14. Tnerb Banned Banned

LoL

Yeah.

On Heavenly Sword for the ps3...

They talk about the capabilities of the Ps3.

Also rendering is being done for the ps3 too, oh well. I think the ps3 wins over the 360. It is "just how it should be" IMO

15. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

It doesn't matter whether or not the PS3 is a more powerful console than the 360 as the price is way too high and there aren't enough titles for it. And there aren't many exclusive titles to the PS3 anyways as Sony strong-armed many third-party developers and pissed em off that they're gonna release almost everything the PS3 to the 360 as well.

Remember the NEO-GEO? Man, that thing was awesome. Better than all the consoles near it's time and games were still developed for it till around 2002. You could play NEO-GEO machines at an arcade and save your game onto a memory card and play it at home too. Oh, but guess what? Way too freakin' expensive so there went that idea. It's happened with every single console and even media format of the past. The biggest and most powerful doesn't win due to price. It's the one in the middle that's the winner. Oh wait, too bad the Wii outsold 360's.

- N

16. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

First of all, if you were paying attention, you'd notice someone already mentioned that title availability is irrelevant due to the fact that the 360 was released almost 1.5 years BEFORE the PS3. *hint hint*

And secondly, the 40G unit is $399 making it competitive to the pricing of the 360. Yet, we should also remember that the Sony already has a built in high-def player AND a 40G hard drive. If you want to add those onto the 360, you'll be paying extra and knocking the price of 360 well past the PS3.

Sony Cuts Fees for PS3 Game Developers

"In the four weeks leading up to Nov. 25, Sony sold 183,217 PS3 systems in Japan. By comparison, Nintendo sold 159,193 Wii consoles. In previous months, the Wii has outsold the PS3 upwards of 6 to 1."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140160-c,gameconsoles/article.html

17. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

I'm waiting for someone to "win" the HD VS blueray fight before I buy either one. 360 has already come down quite a bit. The kids still play the old xbox(modded) right now I still don't see a need to upgrade as we only have one HD T.V and we don't want kids playing games in the family room anyway.

the 360+ the HDDVD player costs as much as the PS3 btw...

18. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

I'm not bothered about processing power and bells and whistles like Bluray, it's all about the games and I'm loving the 360 and Wii at the moment. I'm sure the PS3 will eventually have loads of great titles, so who cares that it's struggling at the moment? I might get one in a couple of years when the price is reduced and some must have games are available.

BTW, graphical power will only get you so far, art direction is just as important.

19. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

microsoft is the one strongarming people not sony

20. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

As I mentioned fully in my previous post, it's not just that there aren't enough titles, but most 3rd party games are going to be released on all platforms. Sony lost a ton of their previously exlusive titles. And what about the Wii being released the same time as the PS3, not bothering to use the same excuse?

So? That's paying for extra irrelevant crap. I want to play video games, not make my console a home theatre when my current equipment is better than the PS3. Are you the type that complained when Nintendo didn't allow the Wii to play DVDs?

If Sony would have just made a killer gaming rig, it would have sold so well, but they decided to throw in all this extra junk that most people don't even need so it jacks up the price on needless things. They got greedy because they wanted to win the format war using Blu-ray, so forcing people to have that in their PS3 was gonna help bump the sales, but now that large price cuts into the PS3 sales themselves.

A little too late for that price cut, but that still has nothing to do with Sony strong-arming 3rd party developers. You know, the big ones, not the little guys that can't afford a development kit needing a price cut, heh.

It's about time the PS3 finally sold a lot of units for a change, but that's only in Japan where the PS3 has the largest audience due to brand pride (Japan rocks, US sucks). The PS3 is also way cheaper over in Japan than elsewhere in the world. With the Wii selling almost 15M units, 360 selling almost 14M units, and the PS3 only selling a bit over 6M units, they're gonna need a lot more runs like the above to catch up. And hey, the Wii and PS3 were released around the same time so they have the same faults of a lack of games, but, well, look what happened.

Anyhow, the reason why the PS3 outsold the Wii those times is due to the Wii shortage still going around followed with the price cut they gave. Sony is gonna need a lot more price cuts to get more consoles in people's homes. It doesn't matter how awesome the machine is if nobody buys it. If nobody buys it, developers start leaving and when that happens, see ya collector's item.

Like NEO-GEO, the PS3 is too powerful for it's own good.

Yep. Lately I've been playing a lot of trippy artsy games that don't require the latest PC upgrades and have been lovin it. American McGee's Alice, Psychonauts, Team Fortress 2, Geometry Wars and a bunch others. I can't wait till Okami is released for the Wii in the next few months. And check out No More Heroes as that has crazy art direction as well.

- N

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  21. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

what i love is i believe on a country by country standard the ps3 is out selling the 360. although more 360's are being bought it is being out sold in more countries.

22. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

23. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

microsoft is the company that has been throwing its wieght around not sony. the ps3 is still going to have a decent number of exclusives and lets not forget by far the most popular games for the x-box series have never been exclusive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.