What's the solution to violent islam?

Discussion in 'World Events' started by GeoffP, Jul 6, 2006.

1. Genji Registered Senior Member

But all religions teach seperation, death & destruction for those who believe differently, religion stops thinking, promotes hatred and suspicion, encourages subservience, rewards ignorance, uses fear as a motivator and has killed more human beings over the Ages than all wars combined. I would disagree there is anything good about faith. Should man remain on his knees or should he think for himself. Religion is the enemy of free will.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

I've studied Islam and Hinduism. It was difficult to study Christianity because of how much the scriptures have been altered. I also know a bit about Judaism and Buddhism

What I can tell you from my knowledge and experience is that the only enemy of free will is human greed for power. No religion, per se, teaches divisiveness. All religions teach humility, love and understanding.

Ignorance and fear is a powerful tool in the hands of the wrong person. Even today, politicians use media and propaganda to subvert truth. No one can know the truth unless he is able to personally verify each and everything for himself. Even then, he may see it from a perspective colored by his preconceived notions. Every man is capable of thinking and deciding for himself. But how many actually do so? Following any belief blindly is the road to disillusion and disappointment. Don't let rhetoric guide you, nor propaganda. Keep an open mind and remember that all people are not evil, some are simply weak and others, afraid.

Holding religion responsible for the weakness of men is another form of rhetoric. It absolves people of the moral responsibility for their ideas and actions. Being a theist or atheist is no guarantee of being good or bad.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Genji Registered Senior Member

Many good points but the 2nd to last sentence struck me: I believe Religion is a way for people to absolve themselves of responsibility. Do something bad and PING! "I am Forgiven." Something good happens to someone and PING! "God loves me." Suffer a tragedy PING! It's God's Plan." Religion teaches that we bow and kneel to the Word. No questions, No disagreeing. I don't know how many times I've heard survivors of a tragedy say "God saved me! I prayed and I have him to thank." What of the other victims? The majority of xians I know think reading most of one book, the bible, is all they need. Talk about locking oneself in a prison cell! I'm not knocking you, I was baptized a Roman Catholic and raised Southern Baptist so I have swam with the sharks. Fortunately no bad priest memories!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Humans should never, ever stop questioning their existence and the world around them. Doing so is the least responsible, easy way out of confronting life's questions. A church near here, my workplace, has a sign in front that makes my point: "Never Put a Question Mark Where God Put a Period."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

"Humans should never, ever stop questioning their existence and the world around them. Doing so is the least responsible, easy way out of confronting life's questions."

Quite right. I totally agree with this sentiment.

8. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

I think it is timely for the Islamic community to honestly debate itself & put all it's issues out to it's members to freely have a say. If there are that many members - why so few voices?
    It's gotta be core issues - 'prickly pair' stuff that hurts enough to start a war over. Cause it's always the same stuff behind it all it seems. For example the Sunni & Shi'ite differences are all but known - yet dispute & war till now.

As herculian as this sounds - it's about the only way to nip this at the root once & for all. There is no getting round the expense of getting info. to rural people, but urban people have web, pamphlets, radio, tv, live conferencing, rallies, meetings at mosques etc. Cheap mass- consultation mediums that can be used effectively & quite possibly anonymously (for fear of reprisals). The total cost of the wars there is far more I reckon.

The ability to 'meet, discuss & move on' works well in many other settings & movements - be it government or family.This one is no different - only if the element of worship may be held in suspended animation for a moment & issues brought about by the change in times brought to the forefront ;such as - the separation of state & church, upholding of law, international or otherwise, observance of human rights - if not in their own lands but in the lands of residence or trade-partners, allies etc, respecting other people's right's to choose their God as they are allowed (this is the one that get's to most non-Muslims I think) Most issues can only be solved by Muslims themselves - but they need to open the channels of communications to get anything out of it.

Relevance - decides which religion goes, which stays. Christianity somehow pulled off an about turn, mostly credited to moving with the times IMHO. Islam needs to address issues of NOW - not then, to remain relevant. Infact the less they openly discuss their differences, the longer this will play out.

9. Kiwi123 Banned Banned

Genji, look at the different Christianity today from the Inquizition type of Christianity it depends on the members of the religion mostly, doesn't it?