What's the skinny on being fat?

Discussion in 'Science & Society' started by Why?, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Why? Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Nope but they should be for stuffing their fat guts with 4000+ calories a day.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Why? Registered Senior Member

As there appears to be a "skinny" gene, certain people are able to eat as much as they want without gaining weight. The desire to eat is ingrained and what makes some people incapable of limiting their caloric intake. The simply presence of the "skinny" gene indicates that fat people really are in a struggle against their bodies. Indeed, you could argue that fat people are genetically disabled because they don't have this "skinny" gene. Still willing to blame them?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Exactly. I know it's not fair, and the people with a fast metabolism or the skinny gene are at an advantage but if you are fat and have a slow metabolism, you cannot wolf down Twinkies, Snickers and Burger King like us skinny people can, w/o becoming a fat, greasy, two-airline seat occupying turd.

8. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

There's no way that all fat people are fat because of genetics. Most of my dad's family are very fat. Not I(because I know how to excercise). I do think there's a gene or two that make people incredibly small(not height wise) though. Many members of my step-dad's family have one of these genes(I believe). That doesn't mean that you can become morbidly obese purely through genetics.

9. Why? Registered Senior Member

Well, the article certainly suggests that at least in fruit flies, you can become fat if you don't have the gene. Maybe it's time to be more understanding to fat people?

10. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Why?

11. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

Ok for the intent of this response, let's leave out the genetically fat people...
    So...we need to be more understanding of people that (know they gain weight easily) voluntarily eat Ruffles, with dip, chocolate cake with icing, multiple sodas a day, twinkies, McDonalds, Wendy's, KFC, etc., yet also sit on their fat asses all day either at their sedentary (as if there's any other kind for fatties) job, then come home and either, sit at the computer playing WoW, Ultima Online or whatever, or sitting on the couch and watching TV, with a bag of Ruffles and dip?

Sorry. No understanding or sympathy coming from me. People who know they're fat and don't give a shit, shouldn't get offended when someone does call them fat.

12. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

I don't even mind that part of it(though I used to..a lot), I just don't like listening to those same people whine about how they're so fat and how no one understands what its like to be fat as if there's nothing they can do about it. Especially since I would be one of those fat people if I didn't workout and ride a bike through three different cities everytime I want to hang out with someone, and I know people who have been those fat people and who did do something about it.

13. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

Most people who are fat DO give a shit. I know very few fat people who aren't actively trying A, B, or C to loose weight. I know very few people who are fat who want to be like that. Yet society continious treats them differently- it's hard for a fat person to go to the gym without being insulted or stared at. It's hard for a fat person to eat in public (healthy food or unhealthy food) without getting treated poorly. People make less eye contact with fat people, help them less, hire them less... How are they suppose to loose weight when the entire world is running their self-confidence through a meat grinder?

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

what would be the evolutionary reasoning for a skinny gene? I understand the thrifty gene, but this one???

15. Why? Registered Senior Member

Fat people are heavily discriminated against. And now, it appears that being fat is a genetic disorder. Skinny people need to be more caring.

16. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Skinny people get picked on too, perhaps they just don't give a shit as much though. I say suck it up lard ass.

17. Pandaemoni Valued Senior Member

Good news for the obese, though, as perhaps they will develop a gene therapy, inserting the skinny gene into their code.

18. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

It probably originated in prosperous areas of the world during our early history. If you think about it, africa and other warm areas tended to have an abundance of food. Tribal people in tropical rain forests, even today, only have to work a few hours every day to be comfortable. It's possible that it was the more helpful genetic set-up at that time, whereas people who went through hard times where food was scarce developed a propencidy to eat everything and anything in sight!

I think I have the damn fat gene, because I can't eat a tortilla without gaining weight!!! Salads are my friend I guess... lol.

19. Why? Registered Senior Member

When food is plentiful, the skinnier organism is lighter and can avoid predators better because they are quicker. However, when food is scarce, the skinny die more quickly because they can't store fat.

20. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

You sure about that?

21. Exploradora Registered Senior Member

You try outrunning a lion with an extra hundred pounds on you!

22. mikenostic Stop pretending you're smart! Registered Senior Member

:roflmao: I almost choked on my breath mint before I had to cough it up from LOL'ing at that.

23. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

heh, that kinda came from the hip, knee-jerk defense. Frankly I was outright picked on by adults as a "skinny" kid. Heck, i'm a skinny adult and people figure it's ok to make fun to your face and they suppsidly "like" you. Somehow it's just acceptable. It's not, no more than calling someone a Lard ass.

I see people who are really overweight in the gym all the time and I honestly am pulling for them, right up until they figure they can sit on the machine I want to use for like 1/2 an hour. Then i'm thinking "Lard ass.".