What's the fat buddha's real name?

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by Oniw17, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

The chinese guy who people call Buddha, I can't remember his name; I think it starts with an H. I keep thinking it's Hentei or something similar. Does anyone know the figure I'm talking about?

2. Oli Heute der Enteteich... Registered Senior Member

Very probably not Hentai - that's Japanese for "pervert" :)

3. spidergoat alien lie form Valued Senior Member

4. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

That's it, thank you.

5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

the fat bastard is not a buddha though, i learned that on sciforums :D. he might have eaten a buddha though.

peace.

6. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

You learned incorrectly.

7. VitalOne Banned Banned

The fat Buddha is not Gautama Buddha, the founder of Buddhism...he was around 6ft tall and athletically fit throughout his life....

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

isnt he called hotei?, one of the 7 lucky shinto gods of japan?. often called the laughing buddha, but was never actualy a real person. just a legendary shinto god figure?

peace.

9. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

It is the same Buddha, but the representation is called "Hotei". It is a very figurative interpretation of the Buddha, the "fat quality" means prosperity; but the Buddha was not fat at all, he is said to have fasted his stomach out.

10. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

No it's not.
    It is Hotei.
    Chi is right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotei

Hotei (Budai) was, however, an arhant, according to legend.

He was a Chinese Zen (Chán) monk, later incoprorated into Shinto and Taoism.

Whether or not the Chinese monk was a real person is as up to debate as whether or not Jesus or Siddhartha was a real person.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  11. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I should have made just a little more of research, but that wiki article is interesting stuff.

12. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

So what you said was just an assumption you made?
    Why did you say it as if it were truth?

13. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Because I have heard that before, in a mere conversation, like this one. I never even researched it, silly me. I was not wrong about the prosperity part though, it is a mere representation of the dude´s virtues, not the real physical man; like every other Eastern statue.

Why do you ask? It is fun to throw it in my face? I was wrong man, geeez. (just having a little fun here :p)

14. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

Actually, it is fun to see how stuff gets messed up with oral tradition. I used to think that was Gautam Buddha, the "fat Buddha", but I used to think that was actually the physical representation of the guy. Then someone told me that it was not the physical, just the representation of the guy´s virtues, but the person that told me that also told me that was Gautam Buddha.
    So I had many people telling me that that was Gautam, I never researched it; I guess I should stop trusting people now...

15. one_raven God is a Chinese Whisper Valued Senior Member

Chinese Whispers.

Don't stop trusting people, just stop having blind faith in people's knowledge. :D

16. Wisdom_Seeker Speaker of my truth Valued Senior Member

I´ll take that advice :cool: