What's the difference...

Discussion in 'Biology & Genetics' started by Magical Realist, May 22, 2015.

1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

..between a crocodile and an alligator and a cayman? A seal and a sea lion? A blackbird, a crow, a magpie, a raven, and a grackle? A pine tree and a fir tree? A cricket and a grasshopper? A dolphin and a porpoise? Sure I could google this, but why not discuss it? Are there any animal/plant differences you're curious about?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2015
  4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

How did he thwart that bear? Did he spray bear repellant? Or did he just yell and wave his arms?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

The major visible difference is that crocodile teeth are visible when the mouth is closed. Alligator teeth fit inside. Crocodiles can tolerate saltwater, alligators cannot. Caimans are closely related to alligators. Both are more distantly related to crocodiles.
    Seals, sea lions and walruses are pinnipeds. Sea lions are often called seals; the major difference is that sea lions have external ear flaps.
    Crows, grackles and ravens are corvids, a taxonomic group that also includes the jays. Many species rank among the most intelligent birds on earth, rivaling the psittacines--the parrots, including macaws, cockatoos, lories, budgies, etc.

"Blackbird" is a rather generic term applied loosely to quite a few avian species that have nothing in common except coloration. It is not used in science.
    There are about 250 different species of pine. These include approximately 50 species of fir trees.
    There are quite a few species of crickets, and the same is true of grasshoppers. The two families are very closely related. I suppose the most easily seen difference is that crickets are nocturnal and lack wings, while grasshoppers have wings and most are diurnal or crepuscular.
    Porpoises have shorter beaks and flattened, spade-shaped teeth. Dolphins have longer beaks and conical teeth.

Having been an aviculturist for may years, I knew the answer to your question about the corvids. The rest took about ten minutes in Wikipedia.

So I probably learned more from this than you did!

8. Billy T Use Sugar Cane Alcohol car Fuel Valued Senior Member

Just courage, no chemicals. Read the link.

9. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Thanks for that. Now we know eh?

10. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

If he would have run he would almost certainly have been mauled. The only thing you can do is stand your ground and make noise, unless you can run 30 mph or so!

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So this method doesn't work on grizzlies. Wonder if it works on a mother bear with her cubs?

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

It might. European brown bears are very closely related to grizzly bears.
    It will work almost every time with a black bear and her cubs, if you get between a mother grizzly and her cubs I hope you have life insurance.