What's The Difference Between Religion & Myth/Superstition

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by StrangerInAStrangeLand, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Carico Registered Member

:bugeye: If myths are true, then they wouldn't be myths.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Balerion Banned Banned

He didn't say myths were true. He said some myth have some truth to them.

Do you not know how to read, or is it that you're intentionally ignorant?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. lightgigantic Banned Banned

Basically one is accepted as being connected to a transcendent personality called god and the other is not.

Kind of like heliocentric models were accepted as science for as long as they were connected to an empirical world view.

In that sense, what may be accepted as religion (or science) in one sense can later turn out to be false. Indicating that because one person got it wrong, everyone gets it wrong is not sufficient however.

If it was, empirical investigation would have sapped out years ago.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. swarm Registered Senior Member

spidergoat: There can be some truth in myths, but they aren't literally true. They could originate in a true event.

A myth could be wholly true, wholly fictitious or as usually the case, bit of both.

But the point of a myth isn't its veracity. Its point is to carry specific concepts and examples in an easy to remember and compelling manner. The point of Romeo and Juliet is not to be an accurate depiction of some actual families. Its point is to convey understanding of life, revenge and love via an entertaining story.

By trying to pretend the bible is true, fundies actually destroy its purpose. Ironically fundies are the worst thing ever to happen to the bible and it probably won't survive their assault.

8. swarm Registered Senior Member

Carico: If myths are true, then they wouldn't be myths.

True is not directly correlated to mythic quality.

9. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Religion became a myth the minute man penned God's thoughts.

10. lightgigantic Banned Banned

And why would you assume that there is something about the nature of god that makes it impossible for a man to indicate a single truthful phrase ?

11. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Have you forgotten I'm an atheist? Can you word that a little differently?

I don't wish to infect this thread with another scripture war, I just offered my two cents, that's all.

12. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

http://www.jhuger.com/kisshank.php
    =====I wish I'd remembered that! Thanks for posting it here!

I appreciate the definitions. It should help.
    My intent wasn't that they are the same thing but different aspects of religion & didn't want the title too long. Maybe I should've explained a bit more in initial comments.

If such a thing happened to me, I would logicly consider several possible explanations which would make much better sense than a god.
    1 doesn't need to go thru the same things they claim to experience when : 1 - Their beliefs impel them to force/coerce it on others, views others as evil, etc. 2 - All it should take to convince anyone that christianity is BS is to read the bible.

I've known & read of many people AA did not work well for.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2008
  13. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

How is your truth supported by reality?

Do you preach to animals?

14. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Some myths may be proven to be true. Some truths may be proven to be a myth. It depends on who believes it and why they believe it to be the truth, and who believes it and why they believe it to be a myth. One requires logic and reason. The other requires the belief in faith.

15. lightgigantic Banned Banned

PsychoticEpisode
    that would be difficult

You said
    Religion became a myth the minute man penned God's thoughts.

This suggests that there is something about the nature of god that is completely unknowable by another person.

Rather than speculate why your arguments rests on such an absurd premise, I gave you the opportunity to explain how you came to understand this

16. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Nothing like that at all. I was merely suggesting that the end of parol discussion took place at that moment. I believe that the written word is much more intoxicating. That's all but continue seeing whatever it is you wish to see because I'm used to it from you.

17. Leo Volont Registered Senior Member

Religion can be studied.

The problem with most Atheists is that very darn few of them have Degrees in Comparative Religious Studies.

While very ancient Religions may have foundations in almost pre-historic mythologies, and while the vagueness of almost pre-historic accounts may lend to the Mythologicalization of events, still, the Doctrines and Theologies of Religions, the Moral Instructions and such are all current and matters of record... well, of the Major Established Religions.

Then, even concerning the Supernatural... while the Dead Religions depend upon ancient memories, the Authentic Religions can point to Supernatural Events well into the Historical Period... even into the Modern Period. If one can refer to Primary Source Historical Documents in the support of certain Events, then they are hardly a matter of Mythology or Superstition any longer.

Typically Atheists point to the shakiness of the Original Ancient Documentations of Religion... convenient for them that all the primary sources had long since rotted away. Or they appeal to ancient Philosophies which were not really very sophisticated. What Atheists stay away from is Modern Documented Supernatural Events and current Metaphysical Philosophies. Atheists like to pick battles that they can win, but it should be seen as something somewhat Intellectually disingenuous to argue against Institutions based on their condition 2000 years ago, while ignoring everything that happened since the Rise of Christian Civilization or even since the invention of the Printing Press.

Really, one should not listen to any Atheist who does not have a degree in Comparative Religious Studies... and even then, it should be an Ivy League Degree. Recently I read a book by this Canadian Professor.... it seemed like he must have gotten his Doctorate from his local Community College.

18. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Comparative religions would suggest multiple religions with multiple messages, somewhat making the ideal of one god, moot.

And, since scriptures can be interpreted to mean a great many things, one would be unable to "study" them without some form of consistency, considering many scriptures contradict themselves.

19. PsychoticEpisode It is very dry in here today Valued Senior Member

Thank you Leo. You keep right on studying. Please continue the Religious Apartheid platform that both you and LG promote.

This religious caste system is a product of the minds of the deeply devouted (the so-called Professors of Ideology). Are they incapable of a thought of their own as they continue to deluge us with the wit and witticisms of ancient texts?

This is what the atheist is up against. Arrogant, ignorant, biased & prejudicial proclaimers of the truth in the guise of Comparative Religion degree holders.

20. Medicine*Woman Jesus: Mythstory--Not History! Valued Senior Member

M*W: Religion should be studied not just believed. Most atheists do more reading and research far beyond any degree in Comparative Religions.

We don't approach atheism blindly. Atheism is logical, understandable and reasonable. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out.

Atheism cannot be forced on anyone. It is a personal knowing of what is truth and what are lies. Atheists always question. Theists try not to. If theists find themselves questioning any part of their religion, they suddenly have an attack of guilt, then question their very own existence!

Theists are content to believe what they've been told is the absolute the truth. It is up to every individual to find his/her own path, to pursue that path, to learn that path, to believe in that path, and to live that path, and the truth will emerge... or it won't.

21. StrangerInAStrangeLand SubQuantum Mechanic Valued Senior Member

Atheism cannot be forced on anyone. I wish I'd said that!
    Religion can be & is forced or coerced on nearly everyone who becomes a theist.

22. lightgigantic Banned Banned

what the hell do you suppose is going down in china or went down in communist russia?

23. lightgigantic Banned Banned

so you think that anything truthful simply confounds expression in the written medium?