What's the deal with Stevia?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by matthew809, Jul 12, 2010.

1. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I'm very skeptical about Truvia. It's altered and not the same stuff that is found in the supplements section, which is why they can sell it in the sugar section.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear.

Trader Joe's sells only natural/organic foods. The kind available there is sold organically, and it's in the sugar aisle. It is not sold under the Truvia label, but sold under the "Trader Joe's Organic Stevia Extract" name.

Also, how do you know that Truvia "alters" their Stevia?

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

My wife uses stevia but to me it tastes very strongly of licorice. I love licorice candy but I don't want it in my tea. I still use Equal.

I don't worry about the side effects since I don't eat low-calorie food. I just don't like sugar in my drinks because I don't find them to be very thirst-quenching that way. So I buy diet soda and use aspartame in my tea.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Doreen Valued Senior Member

I would check out this documentary before continuing with aspartame...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6551291488524526735#

note what the chemist who is suffering a wide variety of ailments says about what he thought when he found out what asparatame breaks down into in the body.

8. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Truvia is rebaudioside A, the sweet-tasting substance in stevia. They don't "alter" anything, they just extract it from stevia (and leave behind all the other bitter chemical crap from the stevia plant that you probably don't want to taste anyway).

9. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I don't know exactly how Truvia is different than the stevia that is banned from being sold as food, but the fact that Truvia is allowed to be sold in the sugar isle tells me that it isn't the same stuff.

10. superstring01 Moderator

And I just told you, that organic stevia extract is sold in the sugar aisle where I shop.

~String

11. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

Stevia seems to be freely available now in supermarkets as a mainline sweetener, at least here in California. The FDA rules seems to have changed.

Its downside is that it doesn't quite taste the same as sugar or splenda, and it leaves an aftertaste. New product lines are emerging that have a mix of stevia with sugar.

12. Doreen Valued Senior Member

13. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I am 22 years old 150 lbs 5'11 and diagnosed recently with type 1 diabetes stevia is like the only thing I can touch without my sugar levels skyrocketing

14. keith1 Guest

It's many times stronger than sugar, so I use between a 1/4-1/2 packet, depending on use. I think it tastes better than sugar.

It's another of those "South American Jungle Miracles" that the logging, food, pharma, and paper industries self-imposed on our collective "scare grandma" psyche with tales of gloom and doom for the culture.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:fright::m: