What's the deal with Stevia?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by matthew809, Jul 12, 2010.

1. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I understand it's been banned by the FDA as a food additive, but can only be used as a nutritional supplement. Stevia is 300 times more sweet than sugar, zero calories, and does not raise blood sugar levels.

And as far as I could tell, there's only been a couple of poorly done studies which weakly suggested that there could be negative implications from eating stevia.

To the layperson, it would seem that the FDA is working for the sugar industry, (since the introduction of stevia into the market would probably shut down the sugar industry) and that is the only reason why stevia is being hidden from the public. But, as any well-informed scientist knows, conspiracies do not exist. So, could someone please educate me- why is stevia banned as a food additive, while msg, trans fat, hydrogenated oils, aspartame, etc are just fine for human consumption according to the FDA?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. superstring01 Moderator

It happens to be the best no calorie sweetener out there. Unlike Sucralose, Saccharine and Aspartame (which all throw off intestinal bacterial, and have other negative side effects), Stevia (sold, primarily as Truvia here in the USA) is totally natural, can even be produced organically, can be cooked and is 100% safe for all people to consume. I tend to favor it in a lot of my cooking. It's good stuff.

~String

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. superstring01 Moderator

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Pfft, how can you use it when

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh and Matthew
    http://www.steviainfo.com/?page=articles
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...&q=stevia studies&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    Is this another case of you making up your own "information"?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  8. clusteringflux Version 1. OH! Valued Senior Member

I don't know. The corn syrup industry does fine in the USA because companies won't pay the premium that american sugar makers demand, so lobbies can have some interesting and unexpected effects onthe market.
    As for me, Stevia has replaced all sweeteners but honey. I'm not as scared of stevia as say the sweetener Aspartame, which is if I remember an industrial lubrication product that has been deemed "safe for human consumption" by the FDA.

9. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

No. I meant to say that, from what I've read, there was only a couple of questionable studies(paid for by the sugar industry?) that directly led to the FDA's decision to ban the stuff as a food additive.

I'm sure there have been many subsequent studies throughout the years as well, as evident by your links. As is also evident by your links, most of the studies paint stevia in a positive light, with minimal negative side-effects.

10. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

First of all... stevia tastes like marshmallows... who the hell wants that stuff in anything but a smore?

Second of all.. and I'm not surprised no one in this thread challenged it...

PROVE IT. Honestly, you've never been in a conspiracy with one of your friends?

11. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Um, do you not think that could, possibly, maybe, have been sarcasm?

12. stateofmind seeker of lies Valued Senior Member

If it is I apologize and I'm a jackass

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

I know though that there are people on here that believe that no conspiracies exist... so I'm not completely unjustified..

13. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

It was certainly sarcasm, as Dywyddyr knows all too well. From my experience on these forums, any expression of conspiracy results in immediate cesspooling, severely inhibiting rational discussions on a matter. I thought that by suggesting conspiracy within the confines of sarcasm, I might be able to continue this discussion at least for a few more posts.

I'm going to try stevia in my coffee as soon as I can get my hands on it. I hear that it has a slightly bitter aftertaste though.

14. superstring01 Moderator

Stevia has been consumed in Japan and in other countries for decades. When I hear people fret about the possible (as yet undemostrated) terrible side effects of Stevia, I wonder if they think consuming sugar is much better.

~String

15. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

Knowing the detrimental effects of sugar and it's accepted substitutes, it just a shame that the FDA has banned stevia as a food additive, and subsequently ruined the agency's perfect track record! The FDA is supposed to protect the consumer, but it seems to be doing the exact opposite by protecting big business at the extreme expense of consumers. Imagine the health impact that a majority stevia market could have on the health of consumers.

But at least it's comforting to know that the stevia scandal marks the extent of the FDA's(and other institutions') bad practices. I can sleep well knowing that the FDA has our best interests in mind, the American Cancer Society is diligently working on the cure, pharmaceutical companies are striving to make us all healthy by discovering more diseases and creating cheap lifetime treatment plans, and the American Dental Association is giving everyone brighter smiles by minimalizing and redefining our understanding of safe levels of toxic chemicals in our bodies.

16. superstring01 Moderator

But not as a sugar substitute? I'm confused. How does all this work?

17. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

Well right now stevia is not a sugar substitute/food additive in the US, it's only a nutritional supplement. Not just semantics, but also a way to keep stevia away from the eyes of consumers.

For example, I've been looking for stevia for the past few weeks at whole food stores to no avail. It's been a reoccurring item on my food list. So I finally did a little more research. I never thought to look in the supplement section- but that's where it's hiding.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Would that be another assumption of yours?
    Or do you have any evidence that that is the reason?

19. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

I have no evidence. But since having evidence of intention would require having a tape-recorded confession, it's no wonder that I nor anyone else has this evidence.

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Ah, so because there's no actual evidence to support your "theory", and, of course, none to directly contradict it (strangely there's no evidence to directly contradict me causing the fall of the Soviet Union either. Thanks, I'll take the credit) then it must be true?
    Any indirect evidence?
    Or, maybe, you're just assigning "reasons" again due to some personal bias.

21. matthew809 Registered Senior Member

As usual you are right. I will cross stevia off my list. Thanks for the help.

22. superstring01 Moderator

I just got back from Trader Joe´s and it´s available there. I also shop at megamarts occasionally, and it's sold there too under the name "Truvia" in the sugar aisle.

~String

23. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'd suggest that whenever a bureaucracy is involved it's "safer" to assume ineptitude or over-zealousness than malice.
    After all the bureaucrat who doesn't allow a new product is NOT going to be held responsible at a later date for the deaths it (may have) caused if he had allowed it. It's safer to stop something (from a job-security point of view) than it is to approve it.