What's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Chaos, Jul 19, 2000.

1. Chaos Guest

Why is astronomy such a big deal? People can consume their entire lives contemplating about the reasoning behind the cosmos. Let me tell you that there is no reasoning behind this reality, it is just here and it happens to be a very fertile place for life. It may seem strange that all the chaos we witness in the skies can give rise to such wonderful things, but that is far more than what we can come to understand. We are just a small part of this whole thing, and how easily we forget that life on earth could vanish with even the most remote of natural disasters. The odds for life surviving are very slim, and the odds for living things to accually understand pure chaos is obsured. So incase the point of this message was lost, let me tell you that no point was intended to be made except for the fact that life itself is pointless and without direction or a clear view of their fate. We have been placed on this earth without our permission, why should we be happy about this? Why does anything matter? We are just a small piece of nothing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 666 Registered Senior Member

I have a few happy pills if you would like some!

It all apears to be extreamly messy with a narrow scope, but when you widen your view it begins to take on a very beutifull order. As with many things if you only take surface glance you don't see much at all, or even the reason why. Look, examine, learn, and it will be clearer.

Why should anyone give you all the answers to thier lifes work when you are not going to put any ware near the effort they put into it?

My favorite phrase is RTFM. Read The F**king Manual. Which in this case means, Try and learn a little more about it before asking for all the answers.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Chaos Guest

Who are you to be talking? You seem to know very little about the scope of everything. Everything in this universe appears uniform to our normal senses, however, it is simply chaos. Our simple minds can't even comprehend this universe, it is just here! some may say that its structure has been laid out by some "supreme being" but that is bunch of bullshit, just look at all the theories coming out about the developement of the universe... It is obsurd to think otherwise! Can you even sit down and contemplate the nature of a chaotic enviroment? but you say "Oh but life arises and life is perfect". WELL I GOT NEWS BUDDY!!! Life isn't perfect, that is why we all die. We are no more special than the infinite stars and galaxies in the universe (which also live and die, but we don't consider them to be living (which i consider to be obsurd!))

[This message has been edited by Chaos (edited July 20, 2000).]

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DaveW Registered Senior Member

If you truly were convinced that we are surrounded by chaos and that nothing matters, you would have killed yourself long ago. Clearly there is something in this inexplicable universe which is keeping you interested and entertained. At minimum, you have decided that your own awareness matters, and is not chaotic.

[This message has been edited by DaveW (edited July 20, 2000).]

8. 666 Registered Senior Member

HUUUUMMM let me see. I'm at a discusion board, part of the point of a discusion board is to talk. HUUMM go figure!

By your above statement it's rather clear that you only take a verry quick look at everthing. You don't even know the amount of time I put into studying this topic. I started reading and learning about astronomy and physics when I was 12. It also clear from your post that you don't want to discuse anything or even learn.

[This message has been edited by 666 (edited July 20, 2000).]

9. Chaos Guest

Sorry but I have no need to learn anything. I'm going to be blunt. Our lives here on earth are meaningless. The reason why we don't kill ourselves, how DaveW mentioned, is because we are so consumed with our little world.

How can you say this universe is not chaotic, when at any second earth could be hit by a meteor causing all humans to die? All our history would be lost and basically as if it never happened...

And what if our species doesn't die chaotically? then what?

oh are we going to go populate the stars right? and meet some extraterrerstials? or control the universe, and bring order and justice to every galaxy?

What impact would this have on the importance of anything? So if I understand correctly, we make no difference... we are just things that live and die, same as all the stars, galaxies, and possibly other universes...

What i just described is chaos

10. Oxygen One Hissy Kitty Registered Senior Member

And yet you keep coming back. Obviously something matters, and it seems to be something as cosmologically miniscule as a message board.

What you seem to be saying is "We souldn't try to understand the world around us." You apparently survived your childhood diseases. I'm sure you've taken an aspirin at some point in your life. You use a computer to communicate your ideas, something you seem to enjoy doing or else you wouldn't have posted here in the first place. All of these things and more are possible because we tried to understand various aspects of the world around us. Yes, there's been a lot of nastiness to go along with it, such as atomic bombs and such, but on the whole it's a wide open plane of existence full of wonder and promise and there's nobody around to stop us from exploring it. If you want to stay in your room, then go for it. There's nobody to stop you from doing that, either.

11. David G. Smith Registered Member

Your life is what you make of it.
    I personally try hard to make my life lead
    to happiness. One of the things that makes me happy is figuring out this amazing and complicated universe we are in. True, I will
    never know everything about it but who cares.
    I get board or angry reading about politicians and religeon and especially the
    news. Astronomy and physics are the perfect
    subject. It constantly changes, it's very
    complicated, it's designed by a greater being and we can't fuck it up. To me it's like the ultimate mystery novel.

oh yeah
    GOD LOVES YOU.

------------------
    DAVE

12. Infinity Registered Senior Member

No he doesn't.