what's still in the ground??

Discussion in 'History' started by wellborn, Mar 27, 2004.

1. wellborn Registered Senior Member

The day before yesterday, I was watching the BBC. On the programme horizon. The history and downfall of ancient Troy was discussed. Thanks to new science methods and methodical study of ancient hittite texts. The true histroy of Troy could be explained. I loved It

But what I was wondering, what's still down there that we havent found yet.
    And what should we be looking for.

Personally I say we should find the grave of Alexander. Since alexander wanted to be buried with knowledge and not gold. He supposedly took a lot of papyrus scroll with him in the grave. And what a treasure that be.
    Anybody with other ideas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I think theres ancient city mounds in South America that havnt been explored properly yet. They still havnt surveyed half of Iraq and the rest of the middle east properly. And as for central asia......
    well, i think theres enough to keep archeologists going for decades yet. I know one a bit, and she complains about how programmes like "time team" raise expectations. her group or something spent some money on ground penetrating radar and it cost them most of their digs budget. theres plenty to be found, just not the money to find it. Which is where high profile stuff like Alexander the greats tomb would come in.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

I don't suppose anyone still hopes to discover the real Ark of the Covenant?

Offshore archaelogy is probably a vast field, barely tapped. Recent finds of drowned walls and terraces off Indian coasts suggests that there may have been settled communities as long ago as the last Ice Age - a whole chapter of history wiped out as the sea levels rose. Atlantis is the obvious example, though too compounded by legend and fantasy for many people to take seriously.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.