What's on your iPod?

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Fraggle Rocker, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I have asked all of you, on several occasions, to please include the NAME of the singer/band/group and the TITLE of the song in the text of your post.

Many of us like to check into SciForums from our office workstations, and most of them are loaded with protective software that blocks streaming audio or video. So we have no idea whom you're talking about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Oooopsy daisy, Sorry about that...I actually thought I did include the name...
    Anyway its Nana Mouskouri....and the songs....When I dream:
    Perdoname: Only Time Will tell: and Touch The Wind:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And I hope you all enjoy!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

And a change of pace...
    This bloke named Barry Stanton, was Australia's answer to Elvis Presley....
    Teenage Idol:

Beggin'on my knees

And forever Australia's King of Rock 'n Roll, Johnny Okeefe, whom I went to school with....
    Sing, Sing, Sing

She's My Baby:

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Andre Rieu and his Johann Strauss Orchestra, performing "Bolero Ravel"

9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Ravishing Divas, with voices to match.....

Mirusia Louwerse: "I am Australian"

Anna Netrebko: Ö Mio Babinno Caro:

Mein Herr Marquis sung by Carla Maffioletti

La Habanera: Carmen Monarcha

Sarah Brightman-Nessun Dorma

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  10. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

11. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

When I'm Gone
    Eminem

12. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A Little Bit Of Soap The Jarmels

13. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

It Keeps Right ON A Hurtin

Johnny Tillotson

14. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Sea Of Love Robert Plant

15. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Wham Bam Thank You Mam David Bowie

16. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

La Grange ZZ Top

17. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

I Fought The Law And The Law Won Bobby Fuller Four

18. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Be My Baby The Ronettes

19. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Roberta Rev. Billy Wirtz

20. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

Working In A Coal Mine Dolly Parton and friends

21. cosmictraveler Be kind to yourself always. Valued Senior Member

A Night Of Blistering Blues B.B. King and many friends

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

God Sent a Angel to Earth to Sing for the Whole Wide World ! A softly spoken beautiful woman, and without a doubt, the Most beautiful Female Voice to ever sing a Song in any language ! And She did ! Fluent in 10 languages , recording 1,500 songs in 15 languages on 450 Albums with 230 Gold & Platinum Albums sold and over 300 Million Record Sales Worldwide! One of the highest selling Female Artist of All Time !
    Nana Mouskouri:

I had the awesome pleasure of seeing this beautiful Angel in person at the Sydney Opera House in 1976, on my first wedding anniversary....

Schubert
    Schwanengesang D957 4 (Ständchen Serenade)

ONLY LOVE:

23. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Earworms

Lately I've been overdosing on four songs and their associated albums:

• Tanita Tikaram, "Valentine Heart"↱, an acoustic recording featured on the bonus second disc included with some editions of the 2012 album Can't Go Back. Part of this is simply that while I've long been stunned by Tikaram's composition and production, it turns out I've been underestimating her actual musical skill. Let me state clearly that I never presumed she was a slouch, or simply coasting through. But listen closely and remember that this is one person playing one guitar; the skill leaves me numb with awe.

• the pillows, "Instant Music"↱, most familiar to Americans as a component of the FLCL soundtrack, and originally released, I believe, on the album Runners' High. Um ... right. To the one it seems a straightforward pop song; lyrically it includes something of a critique against certain tendencies in popular music production and marketing. A rough translation: "A no-damage image, less calories are happy; malnourishing your heart is OK. Instant music, flooding the world. Children are drowning. Diet music! Look, it enthralls them! Well, fuck that!" A later chorus: "Instant music, flooding the world. Adults are growing fat. Resistant music! Okay, so plug your ears? Well, fuck that!"

• Cocteau Twins, "Carolyn's Fingers"↱, originally released as a single from the album Blue Bell Knoll. Um ... right. This is simply the best pop music vocal performance in history.

• Monoral, "Kiri"↱, from the album Turbulence. The song is most famous in the United States for being the opening credit track for the animated series Ergo Proxy. There are a number of reasons the song can penetrate one's skull like this, including the bit in episode fifteen ("Nightmare Quiz Show/Who Wants to Be in Jeopardy?") when the fact that the song runs uncredited in the opening becomes a joke in the requisite comedic chapter. One of the things that grabs some people's attention is that it is coupled with the show's closing track, "Paranoid Android" by Radiohead. Compared to what anime fans are accustomed to, a powerhouse track like "Paranoid Android" gets people's attention. And let us be frank: Despite any one person's misgivings about certain pop genres, no one person is necessarily immune to the pop genres they disdain. And "Kiri" is just one of those songs. What slays me most was looking up the transcription, and the lead arpeggio really is as simple as it sounds, leading to a strange question of whether two notes can make an arpeggio. The high-quality opening credits that could nearly serve as a music video probably lend to the impressive power of the track. To the one, it is perfect marketing. To the other, it is a lyrically poetic song: "You complete my fate; the world unwinds inside of me. You complete my fate; the halo crawls away. You repeat my fate, rewinding all we can. You refill my place. You refill my place. Come and save me." As opening themes in anime go, this one is a genuine masterpiece, and perfectly―perfectly―suited to the story it introduces.​